Shaw & Digital terminals?

Started by Tom, October 27, 2007, 01:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Shaw has finally decided to start charging me full price for cable, so since digital is a whole 4 extra dollars (or something) I figured I'd order, but I would _really_ like a box that would let me stream video off the box via usb, firewire or _something_ (preferably not composite, but I suppose I'll take what I can get).

Anyone done this sort of thing successfully?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Cova has something setup of his set-top box to an HTPC.  Not sure if this is what you are looking for.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

That is good enough. Doesn't need to be too fancy.

Mr. Analog

The Shaw PVR that you can buy at Future Schlock has an open firewire port you can stream your media off of. At least it did when I was looking at them earlier this year.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Cool thanks, It appears its cheaper at Future "Shlock" than getting it through shaw, I might have to do that.

Shayne

Why do people do that?  the dollar sign in Microsoft, the shlock in Future Shop?  Off topic sure, but I really want to know the mentality behind it.

Tom

Well the $ sign in MS is because MS is a total slave to the almighty dollar. Notice how they can make more money off some software than Airbus can make on the new A380.

Shlock, probably because it sucks?

Also I suppose its like "Stupid Store" and "Crappy Tire".

Shayne

Shlock from what I recall is like...crappy items.  LIke the stuff they sell at Dollorama.  Dont think Future Shop would fall too much into that category.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on October 27, 2007, 01:45:22 PM
Shaw has finally decided to start charging me full price for cable, so since digital is a whole 4 extra dollars (or something) I figured I'd order, but I would _really_ like a box that would let me stream video off the box via usb, firewire or _something_ (preferably not composite, but I suppose I'll take what I can get).

Anyone done this sort of thing successfully?

Essentially you're asking about AppleTV? ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

If I can pull video off it via the network without having to un-encrypt anything sure. Oh and if it comes with a 720p or 1080p TV that has HDMI or Component, that would be nice too ;)

My current TV is composite only. As is the receiver Lazy gave me. So till I get some new hardware (TV+Receiver), I'll have to make do with composite.

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on October 29, 2007, 04:16:46 PM
Shlock from what I recall is like...crappy items.  LIke the stuff they sell at Dollorama.  Dont think Future Shop would fall too much into that category.

Future Shop has crappy or creepy sales staff that is where I would give it the Shlock.

Tom

And a good chunk of what they sell is crap, especially for the price. You have to admit that.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on October 29, 2007, 04:09:37 PM
Why do people do that?  the dollar sign in Microsoft, the shlock in Future Shop?  Off topic sure, but I really want to know the mentality behind it.

Future Schlock, McPuke's, Micro$oft, Radio Shank, The Sorny Store... Derogatory parody directed toward soulless, yet convenient corporate entities. Part scorn, part humour, a way of being mildly subversive.

The mentality should be obvious.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

QuoteMcPuke's, Radio Shank
I prefer Crappy Shack ;)  And McDick's

Adams

I worked at a @%&#ty shack, many many moons ago... it was good until we got a new sleazy manager, I liked my old manager she was nice.

Sleazy Manager = Sleazy Store nuff said! :D
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."