Poker night at Dirtman's Thursday 15Nov2007 (reduced stakes)

Started by Darren Dirt, October 29, 2007, 08:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 04, 2009, 01:35:01 PM
Oh, and in March or so I will be moving prolly north of the river. So more available for socializing with other adults ;)

Hopefully more than you did with us south siders while you are/were here. :P :D ;)
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on January 04, 2009, 10:19:11 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 04, 2009, 01:35:01 PM
Oh, and in March or so I will be moving prolly north of the river. So more available for socializing with other adults ;)

Hopefully more than you did with us south siders while you are/were here. :P :D ;)
I wasn't aware you were ever at home :P
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 04, 2009, 02:06:23 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 04, 2009, 01:35:01 PMOh, and in March or so I will be moving prolly north of the river. So more available for socializing with other adults ;)

How far north?

For me the trouble is timing and transport...

Won't be in the far northeast corner like you guys and Tom, since I still work at Ag close to Southgate -- but it really won't matter much how "far" north I end up moving to, since getting across the river or 'around' downtown is the biggest chunk of time for us southsiders getting together with you northerners. Plus I might actually be able to easily be motivated to get together with you guys in the evening on occasion (for poker or other activities).

Anyway, worry not about the present, presume a better future and imagine your ideal regular evening that would best work for you...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on January 05, 2009, 07:52:25 AM
Never ask never know
Didn't think I needed to, with all your job, sports, and side jobs, I didn't think you had time to sleep let alone even go home :o

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on January 05, 2009, 07:19:04 PM
Quote from: Melbosa on January 05, 2009, 07:52:25 AM
Never ask never know
Didn't think I needed to, with all your job, sports, and side jobs, I didn't think you had time to sleep let alone even go home :o
:lol:
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on January 06, 2009, 09:12:55 AM
Little do you guys know :P :D

Uh, ok... one thing I'm starting to wonder after reading this:
QuoteNever ask never know
Is why it seems that only Darren and I seem to start "events".

It's been tough for all of us lately to get together because of various things, between work and family stuff, but then other things pop up (sports, hobbies, etc). As a group we don't seem to get together as often as we did when Lazy was around and I'm not sure why that is exactly.

I refuse to believe that we're so loaded up that a few of us can't spend a night at Darren's. If I could drive I'd be there, but I have to rely on someone who doesn't play/like poker or someone who has a lot of family obligations or someone whose schedule has been overfilled for years to get me there. I'm not cheap, I know I can take a taxi or whatever but then with buy in and everything else it quickly turns into a $100 night (and what with property taxes and all lol).

It was easy enough for me to go into "hermit mode" last year because I've lost contact with most of you due to work and just being burnt out anyway but I'm seriously wondering if last year was kinda "it" for us as a group of friends. I mean, I can't even remember the last time I've seen Mags or Darren in person...

Anyway, it's something that's been on my mind for a while. When I invite you guys to get together are you just humouring me or what?

Food for thought...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 06, 2009, 11:16:24 AM
Is why it seems that only Darren and I seem to start "events".

Good point.  I guess I never think to schedule things through the forums, which is funny seeing as though I participate in discussions (if not the event itself) when it is posted.

And when reflecting on that... I'm not sure why it is.  I know it is hard for most of the people here to make it to my house, but that doesn't mean I can't schedule a lunch or such.  I really can't figure out why I wouldn't think of posting it here.

Last two I did were in May and April of last year.  Wow has it been that bad :(.

I guess I should really figure out what my problem is and correct it.  Why should it be just the two of you?

Tom

I'd invite people over, but I have no idea if people will show up. Or what exactly to invite people over FOR :o

Heres an open invite, want to play Wii, poker, or watch movies and/or anime, come on over! Theres limited seating so entrance is first come fist serve :) (serious, you're all invited). Room for two cars in the drive way, and one or two more can park near by on the street.

One thing that did happen is once Dave left, is all of his and Tam's events dropped off. Thats like half or more of the gettogethers. Maybe I'm forgetting some stuff, but I think their events were also canceled less often than other's were.

And me? I'm just a hermit by nature. I love to go to a few events, but not too many. And right now I'm all "event"ed out from Christmas.

Melbosa

Darren Dirt

Nice passionate post, Mr. A!

Kinda agree with that fear-feeling, but at the same time HOLY CRAP IT'S BEEN LIKE 11+ YEARS since we all met!

So no way it's the "end", we just all had a lotta personal pots on the stove, but this is a NEW year, new stuff is gonna be happening in my life for sure -- but all for the BETTER!

And so it sinks in, sir ... I am 100% willing to be the driver for whoever needs to get around for one of our "gatherings". Gas is cheap now, and with a 4 cylinder engine it's still cheap for me when it goes back up to $0.80/L or more... I think the price is worth it to engage in social activities with other adults. Even just to have a "DVD night" I say let's make something happen at LEAST once a month!

This month = the 2 Aquarius dude's B'Days.

Next month = the first of our regular poker nights -- whether at Tom's or Mr. Analog's, or even at Dirtman's (I'm in the process of organizing, tossing out garbage, re-organizing... methinks 4 weeks is plenty to make it a hospitable place again!)

So there ya go -- this forum ain't dead, the gathering-ness of our group o' friends ain't dead. (we were just... restin'.)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.