Testing d20Pro Virtual Tabletop Tuesday Night

Started by Thorin, June 05, 2009, 03:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on June 12, 2009, 01:15:08 PM
I am interested, however even with this being more flexible I can see my self having limited time over the summer.

I hear ya.  I don't know if you noticed, but I found there was less non-D&D chatter going on (beyond instructions on how to use the software), there wasn't that eating period at the beginning of the session (you know, where we're all eating pizza), and we were moving fairly quickly.

We didn't really start playing until 10pm because of setup requirements (creating characters, etc), and we'd moved through two encounters already in just 2.5 hours.  Pretty fast compared to our old in-person sessions, especially considering we were still learning how to use the app.

In my mind, if we were to play once a week from, say, 7:30pm to 11pm (keeping in mind that you could be in bed by 11:01), I think we'd move along at a good clip.  It could even be a weeknight, so we can keep our weekends open (and for you, Lazy, that'd be 6:30pm to 10pm).  Is that something you'd be at least willing to try?  You can always tell us, if it gets to be too much of a burden, that you need to drop out.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on June 12, 2009, 04:00:15 PM
I hear ya.  I don't know if you noticed, but I found there was less non-D&D chatter going on (beyond instructions on how to use the software), there wasn't that eating period at the beginning of the session (you know, where we're all eating pizza), and we were moving fairly quickly.

I think that is because it is less distracting when the players are privatly chatting in MSN instead of across the table. ;)

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on June 13, 2009, 12:54:35 AM
Quote from: Thorin on June 12, 2009, 04:00:15 PM

I think that is because it is less distracting when the players are privatly chatting in MSN instead of across the table. ;)

What!  Who was doing that?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

So...  Any suggestions on what voice chat software might be appropriate?  I've heard TeamSpeak - what about Skype?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Well I need to get a headset of some sort before we do any voice chat. I dont even have a plain old mic :o

I'll probably get a BT headset, even if its more expensive, it'll work with my phone and my computers (I have a bt usb dongle).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

BT = a bad idea since you will be sitting in front of a computer an sessions can last longer than the 4 hr typical battery on those headsets. Not to mention you can get an OK regular headset for cheap.

I suggest we use Skype or something that meets the following criteria:
- Windows / Mac clients (+ Linux but Tom was running in windows anyway)
- Hosted IE no special server configuration needed (Keep it simple)
- Supports Video as an option (mostly for me / remote players in case we need to do some visual stuff out side of the app)
- Desktop sharing might be nice as well for sharing player based maps / drawings or other stuff.

Tom

Quote- Windows / Mac clients (+ Linux but Tom was running in windows anyway)
I believe I got it working ok in linux after I realized I really wanted to use dual screen ;D

But skype should be ok.

Once we decide we're doing this regularly I'll get a headset and a webcam. then we'll have to start testing the voice/video chat before we get into another game.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

So I posted a couple of bug reports and a couple of feature requests on the d20Pro forums and went to check whether they've replied.

Apparently they're planning a major upgrade to the UI for d20Pro, due "after the end of Con season".  The log and chat windows will be freely movable, the chat system will have "/Tell" commands and such:

Thorin, you are in luck. Our next major release will feature an entire GUI overhaul, with floating windows and the map as the actual "desktop". You will be able to close, minimize, resize, and move all panels, panes, and windows! Look for it after the Con season, as we are working hard with Origins, Gen Con and Dragon*Con.

It's on the way! Our new chat system will feature /Tells and ability to subscribe to various Channels of information, such as Tells, Story, Combat, etc. You will also be able to modify the font color, size, and style for each channel or PC.

Look for it in the next release, within a couple of months.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Interesting, then the only issue would be the stability problems I had on my native MAC platform, although running in a VM wasn't much of a problem as this isn't a high performance app.

Thorin

Well, I've seen promises made before so I won't hold my breath until it's out :P

Would be nice if it worked as they're saying, because it sounds like they're addressing our main concerns.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful