why Dreamworks movies will never be in the same league as Pixar

Started by Darren Dirt, April 21, 2010, 11:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Ya I have seen that one already, there is some truth to it.

Mr. Analog

There's a great article on JohnK's blog regarding this, if I can find it I'll post it.

Also Mike Pataki died today, it's a cryin' shame
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Tom

I still like dreamworks for the most part. Some of the other animation studios though punch out even worse movies.

For instance I did like Madagascar, though its pure slapstick comedy. But Cloudy with a chance of meatballs was pretty good too, it upgraded my view of Sony's animation studio.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on April 21, 2010, 09:22:20 PM
Ya I liked Cloudy with a chance of meatball as well.

Have heard that a lot, almost like it "redeemed" Sony.

And I think the reason is because it was more focused on STORY telling instead of stunt-voice-casting. That's the point of the linked article, esp. this, that every Pixar movie is unique in its theme, and most are even unique from the rest in terms of "feeling", I mean the art in Ratatouille is completely different than Cars or Monsters Inc... even if you can make a joke reference to how they're all based on a certain kind of "Hero's Journey" formula, the details and context are all different each time, and so well-written that it reminds you of the Golden Age of Disney when it comes to beautiful-to-look-at storytelling (without having to rip off H. C. Anderson, etc. ;) )

Thorin

Before posting, I thought I'd look for a list of movies from each of DreamWorks and Pixar.  Thank you Big Cartoon Database!

http://www.bcdb.com/cartoons/Other_Studios/D/DreamWorks/Feature_Films/index.html
http://www.bcdb.com/cartoons/Other_Studios/P/Pixar_Animation_Studios/Features/index.html

Comparing the two lists, I notice that DreamWorks has more feature films out that Pixar, in a shorter timespan.  Didn't know that.  But here's the interesting thing, both lists have movies that I like and I consider well-made with decent plots.

For instance, DreamWorks made Antz and Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron and Shrek.  All three of these had interesting plotlines, and of the three only Shrek has a lot of visual and auditory gags.  However, looking at the lists there are also some movies from DreamWorks that I didn't like or that had a way-thin plot or that were just too short: Chicken Run, Shark Tale, Kung Fu Panda, Monsters vs Aliens.  Especially the last two could have been longer to develop the characters more and to add some plot twists.

And therein appears the difference between DreamWorks and Pixar - DreamWorks tends to make shorter movies that don't have the time to develop the plot as much, while Pixar tends to make longer movies with a more developed plotline.

Speaking of Disney, there's some good movies they've put out in the last ten years.  The Emperor's New Groove, Lilo & Stitch, Dinosaur, Brother Bear, Meet The Robinsons.  Heck, I even liked Home On The Range, although that was more because the cowboy villain stereotype was so over-the-top.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Ok, I loved Kung fu panda, but maybe thats the Jack Black fan in me, or the fact that its quite similar to some period/historical anime's I've seen. For what it was, I thought it was pretty decent.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on April 22, 2010, 12:33:53 PM
Ok, I loved Kung fu panda, but maybe thats the Jack Black fan in me, or the fact that its quite similar to some period/historical anime's I've seen. For what it was, I thought it was pretty decent.

imo KFP was a great martial arts film. Seriously. You can enjoy it for the voice acting, for the beautiful art, sure, all that. But if it wasn't all that, wasn't animated, it still would be a fantastic ride of a movie, I think.

Thorin

Yes, I liked Kung Fu Panda, but I listed it there because it was too short.  They could've easily fleshed out the characters more if they had another 20 minutes.  Or there could've been a couple of plot twists thrown in.  Or any of a dozen things that I would've happily sat longer for.  Same with Monsters vs Aliens, it seemed to end too soon.

Compare that to The Incredibles, where they did add the extra time and you get the treat of that extra plot twist where Syndrome gets Jack Jack, only to be foiled by Jack Jack himself.  They could've just let Syndrome die, or even left it at that he "got away", but instead they added another whole scene that wasn't necessary but that was quite entertaining.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

I also loved the babysitting extra feature in The Incredibles. :D it was awesome.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on April 21, 2010, 09:22:20 PM
Ya I liked Cloudy with a chance of meatball as well.

That had excellent motion/character design, very nicely done.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on April 22, 2010, 03:27:07 PM
I also loved the babysitting extra feature in The Incredibles. :D it was awesome.

Agreed.  It could've even just been added as a regular scene, it fit perfectly with the movie.

Man, I think I'm gonna watch The Incredibles this weekend, if I can find the time.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful