Windows 8 - Some of the new Features

Started by Melbosa, May 17, 2011, 10:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

No worries Tom.  If it isn't for you, you can always just ignore it.  As said, not being forced on you, and you're a Linux guy so already you don't need Windows for your work.  I work in the Windows World, with Linux thrown in.  So I have to try before I bitch and buy on Windows 8.  And the advancements for the desktop itself are nice.  Yes some of the apps from the Microsoft Store are similar to Apples - used for social media and such.  Some are also very helpful - like Teds and TomsHardware Apps.

The Desktop and OS is still Windows 7 with key feature upgrades and additions.  The Desktop mode is Windows 7 without the Start Menu and added features - like extended pin bar for multi-monitor support, individual wallpaper per monitor, split screen application modes (not tact-on to the border of the monitor like Windows 7, but real split screen - so even the app doesn't know your desktop is any larger).  These are just some of the new features I like about Windows 8.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Last I heard, it isn't exactly the same os. W8 is supposedly based on the new MinWin kernel infrastructure, and the new interface is just that, new. even the start bar is entirely new (and imo, looks like crud, something out of the w95 days).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

And in the Linux world there are just as many nerds complaining about the new "unity" desktop in Ubuntu.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on October 26, 2012, 06:09:06 PM
And in the Linux world there are just as many nerds complaining about the new "unity" desktop in Ubuntu.
In essence the same thing happened. The company decided what was best for everyone.

Darren Dirt

WOW, buuuuuuuusy day on the forum, boys!

Thorin: the old Darren would gladly reformat+ install +tweak.

But the current Darren = more like a garbage man than a l33t techie who keeps up with The Latest. My job actually doesn't require all that much awareness of new trends etc. I have a particular set of skills...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

"Particular individual" ahhh I love that movie...

Anyway! I actually ran into a similar discussion with younger non-techie people (artists) and they (like I) find that as Microsoft (but software developers in general) try to "dumb down" the Windows interface they actually make it harder to learn especially for people who understand certain (nonsensical?) metaphors for doing things (pressing start to stop, etc).

Of course it's mostly self-inflicted as many of these people also acknowledged that they went out of their way to learn Apple OSX (etc) with the right motivation (cool phone dude).

So yeah, things change, how drastic and hostile that actually is is debatable.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Ah, you're like those old COBOL boys at WCB.  The upside is you get intimately familiar with the tech you're working with and get to learn all its ins and outs.  The downside is you're intimately familiar with that f'ing tech and never get to enjoy learning something new.

An' yeah, busy.  There's even more posts if you follow the Minecraft sub-forum, since we're trying to decide on new mods when upgrading the server :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

Quote from: Melbosa on October 26, 2012, 03:34:42 PM
I'll give you the start in Desktop Mode thing.  That is not possible... but the more I use the Windows 8 Apps on the Start Tab through the Windows 8 UI (formally named Metro) the more I like the Start Tab on boot up.

Should be "formerly named Metro" as in used to be called that, as opposed to "formally named Metro" as in its proper name is Metro; apparently the Metro name is out: http://www.pcworld.com/article/260367/windows_8_metro_is_dead_but_ui_still_needs_a_name.html.  Too bad, because that was actually a good name for a layout concept.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 26, 2012, 08:00:25 PM
I'll give you the start in Desktop Mode thing.  That is not possible... but the more I use the Windows 8 Apps on the Start Tab through the Windows 8 UI (formally named Metro) the more I like the Start Tab on boot up.

Should be "formerly named Metro" as in used to be called that, as opposed to "formally named Metro" as in its proper name is Metro; apparently the Metro name is out: http://www.pcworld.com/article/260367/windows_8_metro_is_dead_but_ui_still_needs_a_name.html.  Too bad, because that was actually a good name for a layout concept.
"The User Interface formerly known as Metro" ?  ;)

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Quote from: Tom on October 26, 2012, 08:01:23 PM
Quote from: Thorin on October 26, 2012, 08:00:25 PM

"The User Interface formerly known as Metro" ?  ;)

That is what I meant to say... sorry damn engrish languuuuauagegadgeadde!

Lazybones

After learning how cheap it would be to upgrade and that a nearly feature complete version of Hyper-V is included I grabbed it and have updated my home system.

So far I can find no way to be efficient with the new start menu/screen thing... Looks like it would be great on a tablet but even just using it as a search box I have to click into the "Settings" section to get it to search the control panel...

Going in all the way on my home system will at least force me to learn it.

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on October 28, 2012, 02:16:09 AM
So far I can find no way to be efficient with the new start menu/screen thing... Looks like it would be great on a tablet but even just using it as a search box I have to click into the "Settings" section to get it to search the control panel...

Your thinking too much like an IT person.  Think like a MAC/PC Home user.  How often do you search for things in the Control Panel?  More likely you are searching for your favorite photo album, music, or game.

Now think like support working with these home users. If you ask them to search their start tab for Power and got both Control Panel and Other things would be harder than if you could say click on the Settings and only get the Power settings for the computer.  This is why I "think" this is why they did that.

Can you tell I've had to fix Windows 8 for some people yet?

Now wait till you want to do a fresh install and want to enter a product key after install completed.  There isn't a link/shortcut/search that will get you the GUI for changing the product key... only a command line will bring it up.  That's frustrating IMO.

Tom

I wonder why they couldn't fix the location of the power settings. Why do they need to be searched for? Why aren't they in an obvious and easy to find location? They had this massive chance to fix a lot of things, and so far what they've done is put a tablet ui on a desktop. I'm sure some of the changes are good for the average person, but it could have been even better. If you're going to change things so drastically, you might as well go about and make sure as many things as possible are easier to use and better. I think maybe what I don't like is that it feels half done, or maybe not even that much.

They are trying to position the new ui as /the thing/, and so long as it works, that's fine, but it seems like they got part way through and said "screw it, lets ship it as is". Maybe they realized that their window of opportunity for Windows 8 on mobile devices was quite slim, and assumed they had to roll out the desktop version at the same time. IMO that was probably a mistake. Given that the two platforms are so incredibly different, and that the PC platform provides a much more complex environment, its going to need more time.

OOh and did you hear? No more service packs for Windows 7. (unless they waffled on that decision already)

Melbosa

Easy buddy... Power settings are in their same place as it always is in the Control Panel... its not hidden.  I was just giving a hypothetical example.  In fact everything that is in Windows 7 Control Panel is in Windows 8's for the most part.