GoDaddy supports SOPA, customers take business elsewhere

Started by Lazybones, December 22, 2011, 09:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://boingboing.net/2011/12/22/godaddy-supports-sopa-custome.html

Thought this would be interesting to post since although SOPA is a US bill it impacts the entire internet..

Tom

Yeah, I haven't exactly had a great opinion of GoDaddy to begin with. I think now I'll be transferring all 11 of my domains away.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Yes please do so, GoDaddy is bad enough WITHOUT the pro-SOPA stance...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Yes, I shall have to leave the X-Men and join the Justice League.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Interesting, I just got an email from GoDaddy for a 30% off cupon code. Now that doesn't sound special, I get emails /like/ that all the time from Godaddy, except for one difference. It doesn't have any really gotchas, like "You have to spend $50 or more!" Its just a straight 30% off new registrations of .COM, .ORG, .NET, .BIZ, and.US domains. Interesting timing. I know, correlation does not imply causation, but still, interesting timing.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 23, 2011, 10:10:58 AM
I suspect they are fully in panic mode right now
So far the response has been more like "We haven't seen any real effect, blah blah blah". When I see a 30% or more off sale on renewals as well, and /soon/, then I'll think they've started panicking.

Lazybones

My inbox has had at least one Christmas / Boxing Day sale offer in it each day this week.. I would not read into that offer too much.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on December 23, 2011, 10:22:54 AM
My inbox has had at least one Christmas / Boxing Day sale offer in it each day this week.. I would not read into that offer too much.
Indeed. But this isn't a christmas/boxing day sale. And it doesn't have the usual limitations (must spend X amount of money). I do agree though, its too early to read into it too much. Now if they bring out another one that isn't holiday oriented and gives deals on renewals and other things, then I'll think they are starting to fidget.

Thorin

If they are, I also suspect they're trying really hard not to look like they're in panic mode.

Man, I didn't realize there were so many GoDaddy resellers.  You really have to do research to make sure your money's not going to GoDaddy through a funnel.  Kinda like the shell game.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on December 23, 2011, 11:48:48 AM

If they are, I also suspect they're trying really hard not to look like they're in panic mode.

Man, I didn't realize there were so many GoDaddy resellers.  You really have to do research to make sure your money's not going to GoDaddy through a funnel.  Kinda like the shell game.
Not just resellers, but GoDaddy has alternate personalities. Look for a "Star" in their logo's just like GoDaddy has.

But here's some news: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/12/victory-boycott-forces-godaddy-to-drop-its-support-for-sopa.ars

GoDaddy dropped it's support like a rock.

Mr. Analog

I saw something like this coming, brand image is about the only thing GoDaddy has going for it, I suspect lots of painful meetings happened there this morning...
By Grabthar's Hammer