GoDaddy supports SOPA, customers take business elsewhere

Started by Lazybones, December 22, 2011, 09:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Regardless of what they say, I'm probably still going to transfer away. Wasn't overly impressed to begin with, and something like this just shows what they think of their customers.

append: Just transferred the one domain that's expiring soon. I'll do the rest when I can afford it (11 * 8-11 is not something I can do atm ;D, $10 however is ok)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

true and is the law goes through we might have to stick to .ca and avoid net,org and com

Darren Dirt

wow, SOPA ftl (as EFF sez "proxy servers... can be used to thwart copyright enforcement and therefore may be made illegal by the act") maybe SOPA should be subtitled "piracy-over-privacy, screw you protestors!"

"PIPA" is no different -- when you have this group of freedom/privacy proponents against it, how you can you claim you are "serving the citizenry of the land of the free"? ::)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 29, 2011, 02:40:11 PM
wow, SOPA ftl (as EFF sez "proxy servers... can be used to thwart copyright enforcement and therefore may be made illegal by the act") maybe SOPA should be subtitled "piracy-over-privacy, screw you protestors!"

"PIPA" is no different -- when you have this group of freedom/privacy proponents against it, how you can you claim you are "serving the citizenry of the land of the free"? ::)
Of course PIPA isn't any different. One is the bill going through congress, and the other is the "semi equivalent" going through the house. Eventually they'll both get merged if/when they both pass.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Tom

Tom

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

...and Reddit... and tumblr... and quite a few other sites too.

SOPA has been taken down for now (pending revision)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

SOPA* = "dream" killer http://motherboard.vice.com/2012/1/16/copyright-king-why-the-i-have-a-dream-speech-still-isn-t-free

Martin Luther King Jr.?s ?I Have a Dream? speech is considered one of the most recognizable collection of words in American history. It?s the rhetorical equivalent of a national treasure or a national park. The National Park Service inscribed it on the Lincoln Memorial and the Library of Congress put it into its National Recording Registry. So we might hold it to be self evident that it can be spread freely.

Not exactly. Any unauthorized usage of the speech and a number of other speeches by King ? including in PBS documentaries ? is a violation of American law.

... King himself donated proceeds from licensing the speech to fund the civil rights movement, and the King family has made similar pledges. But while legal scholars might defend the family?s legal right to King?s legacy ? and few would argue with the family?s right to earn proceeds from that legacy ? others focus on the larger, obvious point: whether or not King would have wanted his ideas used in advertising, he certainly wouldn?t have wanted them to be kept out of documentaries about the history of the civil rights movement, for instance.

*tbh, even before SOPA ... but it's stuff like this that SOPA will obviously be applied to :(

Thorin

Yeah, PIPA's still planned for reading Jan 24th, though.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

SOPA is NOT GONE it's just been shelved for rewording.

But again, the basic point of both SOPA and PIPA is to bypass due process and make it very, very easy for some organizations (well known for rational thinking) to take down any single site or user from the internet and for what? In theory to protect the IP rights holder, as if piracy doesn't exist outside mainstream internet.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Thorin

But you can still reach your article if you refresh the page and then stop the load before it redirects (push F5, then push Esc).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful