Doctor Who Starts Up!

Started by Thorin, September 01, 2012, 01:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Well that's been a problem with the new series' Daleks for a while, before it used to be "shoot first and keep shooting", then it was "shoot first and if anyone is left have them mine radioactive ore", then it was "shoot first and try to turn people into Daleks", now they don't even shoot first! LOL
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on September 07, 2012, 09:32:09 AM
Next episode will have dinosaurs.  It's on Saturday at 7pm on Space.

SPOILERS for the rest of the post

Yes she's cute but we knew that a couple of months ago.

I said "so's her looks" cuz yeah obviously before seeing her play the actual Whovian character she was just another young pretty face gonna replace Amy/Rory -- but I was also saying "cute" in the sense of her playful fast-talking character, some have said she's gonna give the Doctor a run for his money, kinda bringing back a bit of a Donna vibe. I was ready to be skeptical because the Matt Smith episodes are the ones I've really invested in so hard to say goodbye to the Ponds, but this ep did a really good job of making me feel a bit hopeful that it will still be fun and funny, and yes her looks don't hurt either.

btw Anyone else think the whole Amy-is-a-b-word element of the story felt forced/dishonest? I mean c'mon her and Rory have been pretty damn up-front about issues, why would this one particular issue turn into pushing him away instead of just talking about it and dealing with it... TOGETHER! I won't say the word contrived but I was sure as hell thinking it while watching and they finally tell the viewer "what went wrong".  ::)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

I dunno if she's gonna be like Donna.  Donna was smart but headstrong and very grounded. 
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Hard to say if Oswin would turn left or right, or surprise the Doctor and the viewers with a whole new unexpected direction...

like baking a non-collapsing souffl?!

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

I read a few discussions about this apparent problem/plotholr.

Consensus seems to be, simply, it's a poor word choice by the Doctor.

Amy scared = the human emotion.
Dalek scared = logical analysis of a situation that results In a conclusion that avoidance of it will result in extended survival duration as contrasted with entering it.

Thorin

Alright, the third episode of Doctor Who's on tonight at 7pm Edmonton time on Space.  Maybe I'll have to take an hour break from the Cave Crawl planned for tonight!

Quote from: Darren Dirt on September 08, 2012, 10:18:22 AM
Amy scared = the human emotion.
Dalek scared = logical analysis of a situation that results In a conclusion that avoidance of it will result in extended survival duration as contrasted with entering it.

An' yeah, Darren, that actually makes sense.  I didn't see you post that before, dunno why.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

This weeks cowboy show was ok but the preview for next week looks much more interesting.

Thorin

Okay, it's been two days since the episode aired so I'm going to discuss it.

SPOILERS!

------
Spoiler

I actually liked the new race they introduced, and the change in the doctor's personality that Amy attributed to him traveling without her (well, without humans).  That it was set somewhere else than Cardiff in the UK was kinda nice (at least they've stayed away from the gravel pits since they restarted the show in 2005).  That the Kahler cyborg marked a safe circle around Mercy to give the people somewhere to feel safe from him even though he was a stone cold killer, and that even after threatening to wipe out the town he couldn't bring himself to shoot innocents, was an interesting view into the mind of something supposedly created for only one reason.

But that flashback to the doctor as Tennant played him in his last season (all angry and ready to kill at the drop of a hat) I thought was interesting.  I actually liked the story in this better than the season opener, if only because the Daleks are slowly being turned into funny garbage cans with plungers, egg beaters, and a broomstick with a tennis ball instead of the universe's ultimate killers.  And I didn't really like the Dalek Puppets - that didn't fit at all with how Daleks supposedly view other races (to be used as slaves and / or to be killed on sight).
[close]
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Added the spoiler tag to your post, not because I think it was needed but because that was the whole point of adding it last time we discuss this show... LOL

Thorin

Aww, but, but, it's been two days!

Also, I forgot about that tag...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on September 17, 2012, 11:09:36 PM

Well you never know if someone recorded it to watch later....

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on September 17, 2012, 11:15:33 PM
Quote from: Thorin on September 17, 2012, 11:09:36 PM

Well you never know if someone recorded it to watch later....

Like me :D

Tomorrow, I'll watch tomorrow!

Thanks for tagging Lazy
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Jebus, you even heard the audio already Mr. A.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer