Media server died, starting a plan for a new one

Started by Lazybones, September 23, 2012, 05:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Media box is a go!

It's nice to have it up and working again.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

I'm still waiting on the Lian Li case for my nas. Being sent slow boat from LA.

Tom

Quote from: Tom on December 10, 2012, 03:57:44 PM
I'm still waiting on the Lian Li case for my nas. Being sent slow boat from LA.
Woo! It arrived today!

The PSU I got for it is just a tad larger than I'd like it to be, so I might swap it out for a smaller one if I have one. Also, This is classic... It's a NAS right? And the SAS card takes SFF8087 cables.. I forgot to order the SFF8087 -> SATA breakout cables. \o/

The darn thing so far is absolutely silent. Too soon to tell how loud it'll be when all 7 HDDs are going in raid 6.

Mr. Analog

That's fantastic hah

I'm sure it will do the job, and then some
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 13, 2012, 09:31:32 PM
That's fantastic hah

I'm sure it will do the job, and then some
It is WAY over speced. way. I will have no performance problems with it what so ever.

The nice thing about the case is it had room for 7 3.5" disks, and one 2.5" disk. That was super handy. I was hoping I wouldn't have to just leave the ssd dangling (using my desktop's old 30GB OCZ Vertex as the NASs boot disk). Three of the disks had to mount to a plate on the bottom of the case, but that's fine. It was nice that they made it so they used rubber vibration dampers on those drives. at the very least, those ones will run pretty quiet.

Thorin

Yeah, use rubber to stop vibratorsvibrations.

Anyway!  Did you figure out how you're gonna play Minecraft on your big-ass TV yet?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on December 13, 2012, 10:18:21 PM
Yeah, use rubber to stop vibratorsvibrations.

Anyway!  Did you figure out how you're gonna play Minecraft on your big-ass TV yet?
Yeah, after realizing that this nas hw wasnt going to work double duty, I replaced my media box hw as well. It's also way over specced. Core i3 3120, 16GB ram... yeah. it'll be just fine.

Tom

Hmm, got my new RAID array online:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=JA11Cnhi

moose@mrbig:/mnt/mrbig/data/test$ time iozone -a -s 32G -r 8M
        Iozone: Performance Test of File I/O
                Version $Revision: 3.397 $
                Compiled for 64 bit mode.
                Build: linux-AMD64

Contributors:William Norcott, Don Capps, Isom Crawford, Kirby Collins
                     Al Slater, Scott Rhine, Mike Wisner, Ken Goss
                     Steve Landherr, Brad Smith, Mark Kelly, Dr. Alain CYR,
                     Randy Dunlap, Mark Montague, Dan Million, Gavin Brebner,
                     Jean-Marc Zucconi, Jeff Blomberg, Benny Halevy, Dave Boone,
                     Erik Habbinga, Kris Strecker, Walter Wong, Joshua Root,
                     Fabrice Bacchella, Zhenghua Xue, Qin Li, Darren Sawyer.
                     Ben England.

Run began: Sat Dec 22 19:46:42 2012

Auto Mode
        File size set to 33554432 KB
        Record Size 8192 KB
        Command line used: iozone -a -s 32G -r 8M
        Output is in Kbytes/sec
        Time Resolution = 0.000001 seconds.
        Processor cache size set to 1024 Kbytes.
        Processor cache line size set to 32 bytes.
        File stride size set to 17 * record size.
                                                            random  random    bkwd   record   stride                                   
              KB  reclen   write rewrite    read    reread    read   write    read  rewrite     read   fwrite frewrite   fread  freread
        33554432    8192  212507  210382   630327   630852  372807  161710  388319  4922757   617347   210642   217122  717279   716150

The read numbers are absolutely insane. Going to see about the "low" write numbers. But maybe that's normal for a big raid6.

Lazybones

The more spindles you have the more speed you should have in your array however writes require more CPU, RAM etc so if you are not using dedicated hardware a software raid might have poor write performance.

Thorin

Hey, can you control your media hardware from your harmony remote (or any remote)?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on December 23, 2012, 11:01:45 AM
The more spindles you have the more speed you should have in your array however writes require more CPU, RAM etc so if you are not using dedicated hardware a software raid might have poor write performance.
Its a rather beefy machine, it barely notices when the array is in use.

Quote from: Thorin on December 23, 2012, 11:35:34 AM
Hey, can you control your media hardware from your harmony remote (or any remote)?
Yup. :)

Tom

This time with a slightly older but custom built kernel: (I disabled desktop preemption, usually gains you some throughput)

random  random    bkwd   record   stride                                   
              KB  reclen   write rewrite    read    reread    read   write    read  rewrite     read   fwrite frewrite   fread  freread
        33554432    8192  277607  259159   709837   702192  399889  151629  399779  4846688   655210   251297   245953  783930   778595