Microsoft Surface tablet -- focus="productivity/creation, not consumption"

Started by Darren Dirt, October 16, 2012, 10:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

http://gizmodo.com/5952078/inside-surface-microsofts-insane-quest-for-gadget-perfection

"...in other words: screw you, iPad, I'm writing a book report on this thing. Go to hell, Kindle Fire HD -- I'm writing books, not reading them. At least, that's how Microsoft would like to frame it."

lol?

"The crazy thing is, this may not be just bluster... It shines with thoughtfulness. The size of the screen was agonized over, oscillating between fractions of an inch to reach ideal proportions for Windows 8's multitasking. It uses a proprietary fusion technique that Microsoft gives it a better overall picture quality against the Retina iPad, even with a fraction of the resolution -- it certainly does look good. It had to feel exactly like a book, spine and all.

The kickstand, project leaders explained to us, was carefully tweaked so that it would sound exactly perfect when it snaps shut. The extent to which this click was obsessed over during the design process seems like marketing hot air, then insanity, and then after you keep hearing them talk about it, you realize it's just a company truly giving a damn about making something beautiful and nearly perfect."

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

The big news is the price tag, which is about the same as iPad.

Now I don't know about you but if I was in the market for a tablet and my choices were a third generation iPad or a first generation Microsoft (anything) I think I'd take my chances with Apple.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Hmm...  I'm still pretty happy with the ASUS Transformer that made it into our house.  It has really long battery life, what with a second battery in the keyboard.  Oh, and it was $400, not $600+.  But it runs Android, and Android has some problems with focus and is thus considered to be splintering (is it a bad thing if there are multiple versions of an OS available?).  I'm not worried, though, as it has Ice Cream Sandwich (aka Android 4) which won't be seriously out of date for a while yet.

Anyway, obsessing over getting the exact right click sound for the little leg that comes out the back...  What if I hate that sound?  It's nice that they like it, but not everyone will.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 16, 2012, 02:54:26 PM
Hmm...  I'm still pretty happy with the ASUS Transformer that made it into our house.  It has really long battery life, what with a second battery in the keyboard.  Oh, and it was $400, not $600+.  But it runs Android, and Android has some problems with focus and is thus considered to be splintering (is it a bad thing if there are multiple versions of an OS available?).  I'm not worried, though, as it has Ice Cream Sandwich (aka Android 4) which won't be seriously out of date for a while yet.
ICS is a tad out of date. My Nexus 7 is on 4.1.2 (aka: JellyBean). This is one thing I really like about the "Google Experience" devices (aka Nexus devices). They update when google releases updates, rather than when ever your carrier decides it feels like it.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Yeah, but 4.0 vs 4.1.2 isn't multiple major versions behind :)  I'm sure I could update it if I bothered trying to find out.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

It was a hypothetical question, I own a Motorola Xoom and personally I wouldn't trade it for an iPad or a Surface.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 16, 2012, 03:00:29 PM
Yeah, but 4.0 vs 4.1.2 isn't multiple major versions behind :)  I'm sure I could update it if I bothered trying to find out.
Well, It's one major version behind ;) And a new major version is coming out soon (I think they might be calling it Android 5? not sure).

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 16, 2012, 03:07:49 PM
It was a hypothetical question, I own a Motorola Xoom and personally I wouldn't trade it for an iPad or a Surface.
Indeed. I love my Nexus 7. If only ASUS didn't have such crap quality control on the nexus 7.

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on October 16, 2012, 03:13:15 PM

Well, It's one major version behind ;) And a new major version is coming out soon (I think they might be calling it Android 5? not sure).

Does Android follow Semantic Versioning?  I would hope they do.  And if they do, then 4.1.x is only a minor version away from 4.0.x.

I did some reading on Jelly Bean and one of the things you lose is Flash.  Yay, right?  Except Where's My Water and Where's My Perry are both played lots on this tablet and both are Flash-based.

By the way, I'm on Windows 7 and that's considered a major version behind, yet there's no push to move to Windows 8...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 16, 2012, 03:20:31 PM
Quote from: Tom on October 16, 2012, 03:13:15 PM

Does Android follow Semantic Versioning?  I would hope they do.  And if they do, then 4.1.x is only a minor version away from 4.0.x.
Yeah, I suppose its not technically a major version, but there were a lot of changes that makes me consider it a major version.

I did some reading on Jelly Bean and one of the things you lose is Flash.  Yay, right?  Except Where's My Water and Where's My Perry are both played lots on this tablet and both are Flash-based.
Yeah, adobe has stopped updating flash at all on mobile and desktop. No new flash for you. No fixes, no updates, no nothing. Unless of course you use the Chrome browser on the desktop, then you get a flash plugin, but still no real updates. Adobe has phased flash out completely.

By the way, I'm on Windows 7 and that's considered a major version behind, yet there's no push to move to Windows 8...
Indeed. I'm in no rush either. Windows 7 is the first Windows I haven't /loathed/ since 2k. XP was ok for a while, but I still preferred 2k. It was cleaner, faster and less cluttered (and less redundant??? kekeke).

Melbosa

Windows 8 is a test bed OS, and is a response to trends in the industry.  It is still very much Windows 7 with Tablet concepts and Apple/XBox style interfaces and stores.  While you may be a "revision" behind, you're not a huge leap back.  Windows 9 might be however a different story... time will tell.

Quote from: Tom on October 16, 2012, 03:27:00 PM
Indeed. I'm in no rush either. Windows 7 is the first Windows I haven't /loathed/ since 2k. XP was ok for a while, but I still preferred 2k. It was cleaner, faster and less cluttered (and less redundant??? kekeke).
Tom, it surprises me you didn't like XP as much as 2000.  Most people are quite the opposite.  Very surprising to me indeed.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I'm actually with Tom, I quite liked 2000, I ended up going to XP (and still use it!) but I found I had to disable a lot of crap (and for a very long time was using the Windows Classic theme).

Windows 2000 was just such a great OS in so many ways...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

That's the one that "docks" into a full-ish keyboard, right? This guy? http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/research/the-asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-is-the-world-s-first-quad-core-tablet/rc9304.aspx

I saw that (or something like it, but pretty sure it was Asus) about a year ago one of the IT guys here at Ag had one, was pretty impressive form factor and interface, basically like a tablet version of my Android mobile, but with a physically responsive place to type (in which the screen "locks in" solidly; win win imo.

this review makes me feel tempted to pick one up... http://www.intomobile.com/reviews/asus-transformer-prime-review-quadcore-beast-transform-way-you-look-tablets/

obsessing over getting the exact right click sound for the little leg that comes out the back...  What if I hate that sound?  It's nice that they like it, but not everyone will.
...but it make for fun beatboxeque mashup music vids!

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

The one in my family is a TF300T.  The Prime cost $100 more for nothing substantially better.  Yes, they both have a keyboard that they can click into, the keyboard is pretty good and has a touchpad (although we all just put our fingers on the screen as it's more exact), and it is set up to use the keyboard battery to recharge the internal battery.  They say 9 hours internal battery plus 5 hours keyboard battery, and we do indeed have it last all day (although we probably don't use more than 8 hours in a day).

http://ca.asus.com/en/Tablet/Transformer_Pad/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_TF300T/
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

The surface RT units are prices like an iPad and DO NOT come with a keyboard. They also only run Windows 8 native API apps or more specifically apps that run on an ARM processor.

The surface pro devices are x86 compatible but start at a price of over $1000 making them twice as expensive as many netbooks or laptops.

So at the iPad price point there will not be that much differentiation, you can purchase keyboards for iPads, and there are at least 3 office compatible suites available for word processing and spread sheets already on iPad.

Mr. Analog

There is also a living, breathing marketplace on the iPad with hundreds (thousands?) of apps to pick from, that alone will tip the balance for most people.

I think if the price point had been more competitive we might have seen a contender, I just don't see serious devs making apps for what could become another Zune-like abortion.
By Grabthar's Hammer