Ghostery: How to find out how much crap is loading from a site

Started by Mr. Analog, March 14, 2013, 09:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Ever wanted to see bugs, ad networks and other widgets embedded on a page while you're browsing it? Then Ghostery is for you

Check it out http://www.ghostery.com/

I was trying to explain to someone how much crap is loaded on any given page and they were quite surprised.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I have been using it for a long time combined with adblock... It actually makes some sites load in HALF the time or better because they layer on that crap.

Thorin

Chrome with FlashBlock + AdBlock + Ghostery is my stack.

Sometimes things don't work on some sites, like commenting systems.  Then I have to play with the Ghostery settings.  But yeah, there is a metric crap-ton of extras loaded on almost every page these days.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on March 14, 2013, 09:52:49 AM
Chrome with FlashBlock + AdBlock + Ghostery is my stack.

Sometimes things don't work on some sites, like commenting systems.  Then I have to play with the Ghostery settings.  But yeah, there is a metric crap-ton of extras loaded on almost every page these days.

It's sad and ironic (sadron*ic?) that years ago people had designed web pages to be loaded quickly due to the reality of web visitors having a wide range of connection speeds (as well as browser versions and CPU power) ... and then all this "high speed everywhere" movement resulted in extreme laziness (and greed/ego-motivated BLOAT!) and now that we have smart phones with relatively slow 3G and data caps ... the average web page is easily a 100k download, but often a LOT more. :(

PS: scary stuff, to think a single webpage might potentially have this much CRAP:

*like Sad Keanu, but with visual impairment!

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

OK it is officially a game, lets find common websites with the HIGHEST count

http://www.wired.com/  (24)
-wait for it to FULLY load the home page... It said 15 for the longest time and took nearly a MIN on high-speed to complete loading the other trackers.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Wired appears to have variable tackers since it reports between 19-24 when I have tried the site again afterwards.