Main Menu

New toy!

Started by Tom, May 15, 2013, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I got a new toy today at a gov't surplus auction. APC Smart-UPS dla1500 \o/ seems the battery is dead, most likely (unless it gets around to charging, it was discharged quite deeply...). But for $50 I can spend another $100 on replacement batteries and still end up saving a crap load of money. Newer models of the same basic ups are $500+. $150 is rather decent if you ask me. I think the server will be quite happy with this.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Eww, but it smells like like government

You'll get all sleepy and reticent about change!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 15, 2013, 04:32:20 PM
Eww, but it smells like like government

You'll get all sleepy and reticent about change!
Been that way long before I hit the auction ;)

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Check around for local battery reconditioning shops. The APC brand packs should be common enough to find something reconditioned.

I'll warn you, the packs can often make up a huge chunk of the cost for those things new, well when you include shipping and recycling fees.. I don't think I have ever replaced the batteries in any of those 1500 or less units.

Then again these days I have to deal with rack size units with 14+ cells in them.

Tom

I found a canadian place that'll sell a new APC pack for $112 plus $25~ shipping. The regular price for one of these units is $550~ plus shipping. I don't think most of the price is the battery ;)

I was going to take a trip to Battery World, they should have some 12v 18ah SLAs but I have no idea when I'll be able to get someone to give me a lift, so I may just order online.

Melbosa

Batteryworld in Edmonton will have replacements for it I believe.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on May 16, 2013, 10:20:14 AM
Batteryworld in Edmonton will have replacements for it I believe.
Quote from: Tom on May 16, 2013, 04:25:24 AM
I was going to take a trip to Battery World, they should have some 12v 18ah SLAs but I have no idea when I'll be able to get someone to give me a lift, so I may just order online.

I figured as much. :)

Melbosa

I don't know for sure though, you might want to call.

Tom

Yeah, the main problem is getting there and back. Or at least back. It's not in the most convenient of locations for a carless person such as myself.

Melbosa

Quote from: Tom on May 16, 2013, 10:38:18 AM
Yeah, the main problem is getting there and back. Or at least back. It's not in the most convenient of locations for a carless person such as myself.

LOL While we are all willing to help out there, you can solve that problem on your own... ;)

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on May 16, 2013, 10:40:25 AM
Quote from: Tom on May 16, 2013, 10:38:18 AM

LOL While we are all willing to help out there, you can solve that problem on your own... ;)
Well I asked a friend here in the park, he's busy for the next little while.

And I'd appreciate a ride from anyone here willing to help out, but I figure its too big a pain in the ass to drive out here, then there, then back, just to help me save a few bucks on batteries. I'm not against it though. I'll even pay for lunch/dinner if anyone does help out.

As for the car thing, I can't drive by myself for at least a year after I pass the test. So it's absolutely stupid to get a car. I'm thinking of getting a bike, but finances are tight right now (6 weeks of no pay is kinda harsh), so no spending a few thousand or more on a motorbike or even a moped.

And taking a cab even just one way would probably make it cost more than just ordering on line.

I've actually considered my options ;) I'm not quite as clueless as people seem to think I am.

Melbosa

Dude, woah, it wasn't meant to be a "think about it", it was more like a "only you can prevent forest fires" pun.  Sorry, guess that didn't make it across.

Myself, I won't be able to get to you until Sunday at the earliest, and that will be a short window for me.  Booked pretty solid for the rest of the week!!!

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on May 16, 2013, 11:09:30 AM
Dude, woah, it wasn't meant to be a "think about it", it was more like a "only you can prevent forest fires" pun.  Sorry, guess that didn't make it across.
I don't see it to be honest :(

Myself, I won't be able to get to you until Sunday at the earliest, and that will be a short window for me.  Booked pretty solid for the rest of the week!!!
No problem.

Melbosa

Quote from: Tom on May 16, 2013, 11:12:41 AM
I don't see it to be honest :(

Guess it sounded better in my head.