Doctor Who: Day of the Doctors on Space next weekend!

Started by Thorin, November 19, 2013, 12:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

You didn't watch the night of the doctor Mini-episode? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo
Spoiler
Checking Wiki and the internet as a whole... there are two continuity facts that pull this together.
- In classic doctor who apparently the doctor never claims to be the only Time lord and never reference that his home planet is gone.
- In Doctor Who 2005 the  Christopher Eccleston doctor is the first to say his planet and people are lost and the plot is heavy around how that happened in 2005
- The John Hurt doctor is shown as the regeneration of the Paul McGann doctor in "the night of the doctor", and the one that destroys Gallifrey  to stop the time war and that the doctor never talks about him
[close]

Thorin

Spoiler

John Hurt was introduced as The Doctor at the end of last season, as seen in the first two clips of this article: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/11/22/a-primer-for-doctor-who-s-day-of-the-doctor-episode.html.  There was also a mini-episode shown on the web that actually shows Paul McGann's Eighth Doctor regenerating into John Hurt's War Doctor.  And I guess we don't have to re-number everyone because the War Doctor was not a doctor and therefore doesn't count as a numbered version.  He's specifically explained as not a doctor but a warrior.

The Zygons were absolutely perfectly done, though, just a few subtle changes from the original look and then better CGI allowing a more realistic transformation process.
[close]
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on November 25, 2013, 10:46:06 AM
Spoiler

John Hurt was introduced as The Doctor at the end of last season, as seen in the first two clips of this article: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/11/22/a-primer-for-doctor-who-s-day-of-the-doctor-episode.html.  There was also a mini-episode shown on the web that actually shows Paul McGann's Eighth Doctor regenerating into John Hurt's War Doctor.  And I guess we don't have to re-number everyone because the War Doctor was not a doctor and therefore doesn't count as a numbered version.  He's specifically explained as not a doctor but a warrior.

[close]

Yes, and the dialog word choice was no accident:
Spoiler

Doctor NO MORE

(but my guess is fandom will name him "8.5" pretty quickly. Or at least "the warrior doctor".)

[close]

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

The painting really was very cool looking.  Looked like a book cover!

Spoiler

And the 3D effect when Clara looked at it from an angle was subtle yet amazing.
[close]

I can't wait for the season to start up!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on November 25, 2013, 11:22:34 AM
The painting really was very cool looking.  Looked like a book cover!

Spoiler

And the 3D effect when Clara looked at it from an angle was subtle yet amazing.
[close]

I can't wait for the season to start up!

They persisted the effect very well across scenes as well,  when they walk out of the room they have a very hard angle on it and you get to see more ships.

Darren Dirt

Also they did all the CG with both 2D and 3D, I wonder what the 3D-cinema experience was like seeing that for the first time surrounded by hundreds of others equally mesmerized...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 25, 2013, 05:00:53 PM
Also they did all the CG with both 2D and 3D?

Not sure I understand this.. When you shoot for 3D all you need to do for 2D is provide only one of the 2 perspectives..

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 25, 2013, 06:22:24 PM
Not sure if it was posted already but!

The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy

LOL didn't watch that one. Hobbit name dropping..

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

So this is interesting, although I didn't follow this thread the whole way through so might have missed it if you guys posted it: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/11/26/matt-smith-is-the-13th-doctor
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Possible spoiler country hence the jump ->

Spoiler
In-universe during "The Five Doctors" the Master is offered a new cycle of regenerations by the High Council of Time Lords, which means that regenerations may be conferred by the Time Lords, as well the Master has jumped bodies a number of times (at least 2 to my knowledge) and gets at least one regeneration when he does so.

Out of universe there are no limits to the number of regenerations (according to the producers)

HEAVY CONJECTURE ON MY PART: The quest, going home, will be to find Gallifrey, bring it back into the prime universe and likely the reward will be extra lives (HIGH SCORE!). This of course means more Daleks I'm sure

What confirms for me that the current Doctor is certainly not the last is the existence of the Valeyard (Trial of a Timelord) and The Watcher (Logopolis)
[close]
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on November 26, 2013, 09:07:23 AM
So this is interesting, although I didn't follow this thread the whole way through so might have missed it if you guys posted it: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/11/26/matt-smith-is-the-13th-doctor

Spoiler
The comments point out at least two explanations that are part of the current set of events... 1. River used up regeneration energy to save him once, maybe that gives him an extra cycle.. 2 the War Doctor was initiated with an elixir that may have also messed with him in other ways.
[close]

Thorin

Well there's the whole doctors-vs-regenerations debate.  There have now been 12 actors and Capaldi will be the 13th.  But there's the 12 regenerations for all those actors, plus whatever was used up to re-grow the hand and also the aborted regeneration.  As for Moffat saying 12 regenerations is canon, so was the destruction of all of Gallifrey as of Eccleston's doctor, up until it wasn't anymore.

Doctor Who is full of paradoxes and canon-destroying new lines of thought.  There really are no hard and fast rules.  I mean, think about this: the doctor knows he's going to die so he travels into the future to warn people to help him.  But then because they help him, he doesn't die.  So if he doesn't die, then he wouldn't know he's going to die, so then why does he travel into the future?  Timey-wimey.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the limit of 12 regenerations only exists in audio adventures of Doctor Who.  I don't remember it ever being specifically mentioned on TV.  Although there are a lot of episodes, so I could be wrong.  I do remember once one of the new doctors mentioned 507 times, but that didn't seem serious.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Also there was a discussion that "the Master" was gifted regenerations by the time-lords, so maybe they can be added.