Linux in VirtualBox without admin rights (Windows host)

Started by Darren Dirt, June 26, 2014, 11:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Ancient history yeah, tell that to the retail purchasers who need to offer an uber-cheap laptop to basic consumers... :p C-word is definitely useless for my needs tho.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

At this time I'd lean toward Intel anyway. I guess my point is you can shop around and get something pretty good for dev work for under a thousand bux but you can never have a fast enough machine. So like I said before, get as much ram and as many cores as you can get. My old laptop (2 cores, 4 GB) is like molasses in January and I probably lose about an hour a day to it just because it's SO BAD

The other thing I would also consider is buying from a place that doesn't include the Windows tax.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

...but MemoryExpress is all AMD :(

Going to FS now. Final Answer. methinks $450 for Intel with 8gb RAM and 1TB of HDD is pretty sweet deal. Toshiba is good name for laptops too, amirite?

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 13, 2014, 01:00:56 AM
At this time I'd lean toward Intel anyway. I guess my point is you can shop around and get something pretty good for dev work for under a thousand bux but you can never have a fast enough machine. So like I said before, get as much ram and as many cores as you can get. My old laptop (2 cores, 4 GB) is like molasses in January and I probably lose about an hour a day to it just because it's SO BAD

The other thing I would also consider is buying from a place that doesn't include the Windows tax.
I have to agree with many of these points. get the beefiest machine you can afford. My work laptop is a beast. quad core i7 with HT, 32GB ram, and near 1TB of ssd space. I've made a few alterations ;D hehhe. nothing seems to make it feel slow, except when using firefox, or chrome gets too bogged down.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on July 13, 2014, 10:22:34 AM
My work laptop is a beast. quad core i7 with HT, 32GB ram, and near 1TB of ssd space. I've made a few alterations ;D hehhe. nothing seems to make it feel slow, except when using firefox, or chrome gets too bogged down.

YOU'RE a beast, sir.

I think having 8gb RAM on my new laptop is gonna be fine for what I'll be doing -- heck my home PC is still just 4gb! (although it's Windows 7, not 8.1).

The 953GB hard drive space (i.e. 1000*1000*1000 instead of 1024*1024*1024 argh marketing lol) should be great for my plan of doing lots of backups of my VM as I proceed in the Project. I expect to leave Windows as pretty much defaults for the most part, don't want to get side-tracked into making my laptop anyting beyond a "work machine". Otherwise I'll never get thru my coursework and be hating life.

Have a great weekend everybody! Charging my new toy now... Gonna get started on Monday after work #woohoo

PS:
Quote from: Tom on July 13, 2014, 10:22:34 AM
quad core i7 with HT

I'm curious, which one? http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-i7-processor.html

Cuz I wonder the benchmarks @ http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-N3530-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4700HQ (or whatever it is)

Darren Dirt

Wow, I am definitely glad I got *8* gb RAM ... seems like Win8.1 + Chrome = more than 1.5gb used. Before I even launch VirtualBox or get some kind of server running in the background.

Spent much of last night just removing a few un-needed things, getting used to the Win8 GUI interface, and tweaking some things esp. getting my touchpad working just perfectly so I pretty much never have to touch the keyboard unless alpha-num characters are needed :)

Tonight just gotta install Firefox and a few extensions for my web browsers that I totally rely on (Ad Blocker, open-tab-at-the-end, etc.) and then I will actually get started on my coursework #SeriousBusinessTime

Mr. Analog

Two words: Classic Shell

http://www.classicshell.net/

There are others out there, this one is pretty good though
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 14, 2014, 09:50:24 AM
Two words: Classic Shell

http://www.classicshell.net/

There are others out there, this one is pretty good though

LOL! Two words: remember how you mocked me when I complained about how things were "too different" in Windows 7 but you told me to push through it and get used to the changes, at least give them a chance?

Well, I'm kinda doing that with Windows 8 now. I'm avoiding the tiles though. I'm just not a visual guy, and my impatience + years of typing to make stuff happen way faster = hating the tiles.

(although eventually I will likely install ClassicShell. ;) )

Mr. Analog

Windows 8 is actually hostile to desktop users, so I don't see the comparison, 8 is just a bad GUI period, full stop.

Microsoft was told again and again during the beta test period and still pushed this new experience on users. But it's the old Microsoft story, Vista was bad Windows 7 was good. That they've reverted so much already is proof enough. My prediction is Windows 9 will be a Windows 8 reskin with a working start menu.

Windows 8 (and by extension Server 2012) has been one of the most painful things I've ever seen leak out of Redmond. Even some of the Windows 8 inspired mess that's been integrated with tablet or touch screen enabled Windows 7 has been a pain to work around WITH A TABLET (zoom was replaced by *pinch and zoom*, two very different things that I had to manually override through DRIVER settings, having to manually disable Flicks [but can't fully remove it], stylus tap != click [you have to disable hold to right click], etc)

What Microsoft did right though is let you easily customize your UI, something that was not impossible before but certainly harder to manage, so if there's something that you want you can either find it in their app store or make it yourself.

The real sad part though is that under the hood Windows 8 is actually a fairly decent OS, just instead of a roll with some paper on it they gave you three shells
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I am just glad they hacked title bars back into the native apps so you can move them around when you are using a keyboard/mouse

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on July 14, 2014, 01:56:39 PM
I am just glad they hacked title bars back into the native apps so you can move them around when you are using a keyboard/mouse

Amen to that brotha

8.1 has a lot of improvements like that
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 14, 2014, 01:50:49 PM
The real sad part though is that under the hood Windows 8 is actually a fairly decent OS, just instead of a roll with some paper on it they gave you threeshells*

idk why but that made me think of this brilliant prank!

*Wait, was that a pun?

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Explorer in Windows 8 is certainly different than before ... but I did not realize just how much they made it different. Because science.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/08/29/improvements-in-windows-explorer.aspx

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer