Usamot 2 ideas and zoning

Started by Lazybones, March 10, 2014, 08:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

We should mark the SPAWN City boundary... Anything inside is under Zoning restrictions (no mob spawner), and anything outside is free game. That might help.

I don't think we want to bog the play down with too many rules... but rules are needed in high density areas like around spawn.

Mr. Analog

It may not be a bad idea to zone things with cobblestone fence actually.

It's cheap!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

How big do we want to make Spawn City initially?  100 blocks in each direction?  Towards the west that might run into the mountains.

I do like the idea of a bigger town square, even though that means I need to move my Survival Shack a bunch...  And cobble fence to mark off the city is a good idea, too.  Either that or build a medieval curtain wall four or five blocks high with a few gatehouses in it.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

TNT everywhere naturally and chests with free levers! Err, wrong server

But yeah, we should at least put down pavement where the spawn square is and then build out from there I guess.
By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

I've noticed people have made claims to plots in prime locations.  How long should we give them to start building before we void their claims?

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

100x100 1 high wall up and the main roads connect to it

Mr. Analog

Nice work!

Well, I got my start tonight. Both Lenny and I spawned in somebody's house, it was a little frustrating at first (I was standing on a chest of all things). It took me forever to get 1.7.2 (+mods) installed since I had leapfrogged versions already with Magic Launcher to 1.7.4 so I wasn't in the best of moods.

I also spawned with tools which I threw away, ended up heading out of town to stake my claim. I built a hovel first but I have a bridge built that leads to the future site of my factory. I have all the basic tools, full armor a small farm a mine and I'm using geothermal power (i.e. buckets of lava!)

There's a huge lava pool at the bottom of my mine, with it I can probably cast a Nether Portal if I don't find diamonds any time soon.

Also, is it just me or does wheat take much longer to grow?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, sorry about that, turns out the basement of the Survival Shack was pulling people off of true spawn.  I moved the Survival Shack (and made it a little smaller and look a little nicer, I think).  I've widened the Spawn City town square, moved the farm field over a bit, and built a magick shoppe (Lenny donated the enchanting table).

I found your bridge, Mr. Analog, I was wondering who built stuff way out there.  And Lenny, nice tower you've got going.  Lazy, thanks for putting up the wall and the gates, looks nice!  Oh, and wheat probably seems like it takes longer because you can't bonemeal it as easily.  Want it to grow faster?  Plant alternating rows of wheat and carrots - it grows faster if there's no wheat to either side of it.

Lets see, what did I do tonight?
- gathered gravel
- tore down Survival Shack
- expanded town square with gravel
- built new Survival Shack
- tamed a couple of horses and penned them up at spawn, the one with less health jumps way better; there's only one saddle so far though
- explored around to see what the nearby mountains and mesa look like
- ventured out and started my own claim at 0,0 - all underground for now but I'll eventually have a towering ... tower
- built Ye Olde Magick Shoppe, moved the enchanting table into it, started making books and bookcases
- mowed the lawn for Spawn City: cleared all the tall grass and flowers and stuff within Spawn City; flowers are stored in the Survival Shack
- a bunch of mining, FOUND MY FIRST DIAMONDS!

By the way, everything in the Survival Shack is to share.  So if anyone needs something quickly, they can type "/spawn" and go see if it's in there.

What else do we need to build at spawn besides a wheat/carrot farm, sheep/pig/cow/horse pens, and an enchanting table?  I guess we need a nether portal there?  The nether portal should be perfect-matched on the coordinates so we don't get wonky portalling, though.  And maybe a swimming pool with waterslides :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

I was going to say, the spawn "area" should probably be a relatively large fenced in area, with things around it.

I kind of want the center of spawn to be marked by the beacon I want to put in. Make it a lot easier to see and find :)

Spawn town needs to have a central location for the nether portal, and whatever is used by Spiggot to transfer you between servers.
I think they can be portals like a nether portal, so a place for more than one portal would be useful. Though I'd like the server portal
to be a central marker of sorts.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Thanks for moving the crap out of spawn, it really sucked going on to a fresh new server and start inside something :), the downside to having op is you don't know where the no-build zone around spawn is ... which is why I went out a ways.

I should be able to cast a Nether portal, I have enough lava... I guess we should pick out a place in town to put it?

As for wheat, I have a small 8 block wheat farm that so far has produced a single wheat, I was playing for just over two hours last night and the wheat farm was there for about an hour so I don't know what else to say, it seems a lot slower in 1.7
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Well the spawn city boundary is established, I was surprised how well it worked out with the mountain.

If you want fresh and wild just say out side the wall.

The default spawn zone is fairly large, I am sure it is still possible to span away from the centre but keeping a safer zone should help.

Do we want to further chop up spawn city into city blocks?

Mr. Analog

City blocks would be very cool!

I'll start saving up all the gravel I collect to help supply roads (unless we're doing cobble roads in which case I can set up a road generator)

Neat!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

The main road is gravel so far. I was think in subdividing could be done with smooth stone sidewalks or something.

Mr. Analog

I have several stacks of smooth stone I think, at least I left a bunch cooking last night (thanks lava, thava)

One nice way of doing it is digging out a trench 4 or 5 blocks wide for the road and then putting slabs in the middle and stairs on either side. It creates a nice effect

Dang, I have D&D tonight, I wish I could do both lol
By Grabthar's Hammer