Handwriting is irrelevant

Started by Lazybones, December 07, 2006, 02:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

But Thorin, the Chinese and Japaneses have been using pictures for a heck of a long time.

Mr. Analog

While Traditional Chinese text and Japanese Hiragana have some pictographic roots the majority of those langauges do not use pictograms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictographic
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

I wasn't being literal, but there language has many symbols that translate to english words and phrases.  seems more efficient (though harder to learn obviously).  Perhaps our penmanship is simply (d)evolving.

Darren Dirt

It's all about the heart, baby.

If your loved one is on the other side of the ocean, or the other side of the Rockies, I'm sure it would mean just a little bit more if they received correspondence from you that took more than 10 minutes to compose. And it's tangible, in their hands... It can even contain a fragrance of your choice. :)

Guess I'm a bit of a sentimental guy when it comes to this (and perhaps I'm sad to see how often I type instead of more intimate ways of communicating). Plus I miss my mom.

Dirtman, over and out.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Really, the letters in any alphabet are nothing more than symbols with special meanings.  My point wasn't that the masses will use symbols for specific things, but rather that the masses will forget how to record thoughts and ideas.  To use your example of the Japanese using specific symbols for specific English phrases, what if 90% of the Japanese population doesn't know the rules on how to put them together properly?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Shayne

but we DO know how to put them together just not so much in cursive which is so very seldom used (outside of letter writing and note taking do we have another example) all legal forms and any form in general its mandatory that printing is used.  I use a pen and paper at least daily even if jotting down notes on my scribble pad beside me, to say that we will lose our ability to put letters together is absurd.

Even if you totally forgot how to write I'm sure that you could copy the symbols that you type with a computer onto paper with pretty good dexterity.  Its really an issue of speed vs legibility, I would wager EVERYONE on this forum could print out beautiful words if taken the time to do so.

Thorin

Yes, I think we both agree with what the article says: the ability to write using cursive script in day-to-day activity is no longer a requirement.

Quote from: Thorin on December 08, 2006, 11:32:03 AM
the North American population is becoming less adept at writing in general; not just  penmanship, but also grammar, spelling, cohesive on-topic structure, etc.  If this trend continues to the extreme, we'll end up with an elite group who perform writing functions for us as we use pictures to indicate thoughts, feelings, and ideas.

I don't think we're at the extreme end of this trend of declining writing skills, although the decline is definitely evident.  Just examining the posts in this thread, there are examples of incorrect capitalization, punctuation, or word choice.  Incorrect capitalization usually doesn't cause problems for the reader, although there are times where whether the word is capitalized or not means it has a different meaning.  Incorrect punctuation causes problems quite easily, because the reader has to guess at what the correct punctuation and therefore meaning of the written words is supposed to be.  Incorrect word choice very frequently causes problems, as the reader has to start finding other words that match phonetically to the one written, to see which word makes the most sense in the sentence.

Some examples:

The Rock: Newfoundland (or that wrestler who thinks he's also a good actor)
The rock: a piece of stone on the ground

Phones ringing: More than one phone ringing
Phone's ringing: A single phone is ringing

there language has many symbols: ??
their language has many symbols: Ah-ha!  Substitute the phonetically-similar "their" for "there", and the sentence makes sense!

Last but not least, there was that nasty thread where the incorrect use of quotation marks caused confusion and rather too much name-calling (sorry Darren).

Quote from: Shayne on December 08, 2006, 02:44:36 PM
all legal forms and any form in general its mandatory that printing is used

This is an excellent example of where it's important to know how to print your letters, at present.  Some day in the not too distant future, though, this could easily be replaced by requiring you to swipe your identity card over a reader so that they can get all your vital information that way.  Presto change-o, you no longer need to be able to write to fill out the form!  If this technology came to be, it would decrease the reasons for being able to read and write.

Quote from: Shayne on December 08, 2006, 02:44:36 PM
Even if you totally forgot how to write I'm sure that you could copy the symbols that you type with a computer onto paper with pretty good dexterity.  Its really an issue of speed vs legibility, I would wager EVERYONE on this forum could print out beautiful words if taken the time to do so.

You're just talking about not knowing how to write in cursive script, right?  I consider writing and reading to be intimately linked.  If you know how to read, you'll be able to write (although not necessarily very well).  If you completely forget how to write in any manner, there's no way you should be able to read.  And if you completely forget how to read (or never knew in the first place), then anything you type on the computer will be gibberish.  But again, this is what I see happening if the decline in creating prose continues to its extreme.

About 41% of adults in Canada are considered to have "low-literacy skills" (http://www.abc-canada.org/media_room/news/all_survey_summary.shtml#figure_1).  Almost no one is completely illiterate anymore, but these 41% have enough difficulty reading that they can't complete secondary school (levels 1 or 2 as defined in http://www.abc-canada.org/media_room/news/all_survey_summary.shtml#terminology).  If these people are faced with writing that is grammatically incorrect, has incorrect word choices, or contains other errors, they probably won't be able to adjust and determine the true meaning of the text - they're already having a hard enough time trying to read what's been written.  They certainly won't be writing books or technical manuals or recording any other great ideas or inventions they dream up.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Shayne

I think we are getting a bit away from the topic at hand. We have all pretty much agreed that the requirement of cursive scripting today is pretty much nonexistent.

My point about penmanship decreasing was in response to the likes of Tom who said "I never did learn to handwrite properly. specially the capitals. And its virtually incomprehensible ;) My printing isn't much better. Never has been." in that he is saying that his printing is almost incomprehensible.  If given the time I cannot see how you cannot make accurate and neat printing or cursive as the English alphabet requires very little dexterity.

Grammar and spelling are an issue for sure.  With the invention and quick reliance on Spell/Grammar check found in all word processors the ability for people to build and punctuate proper sentences has most certainly decreased.  The only way to get around that is to simply remove the helping hand, but to what end does that really help other then personal well being.  There is still a chance that you will mess up and it will go unfound (this is apparently not a word) (unless it is Edited by either an Editor or an automated system).

Reliance on these tools is so very apparent.  Big publications the Wall Street Journal and online publications like Slate consistently have grammar issues and other word problems by relying on the tools.  I have seen the "their", "there", "they're" substitution wrong a lot.  Most times its not even that, its examples like "The house was on fire and the fire department was on the scene" turning into something like "The house was on fire and the fair department was on the scene" as perhaps the automated fixer chose the wrong word from a common misspelling.

Spelling and Grammar are not the only problems.  Driving is quickly becoming another.  People relying on 4x4, ABS and traction control to allow them to drive as per normal under ALL conditions.  The "I drive an SUV therefore I am invincible" is a much bigger threat to our friends and family then the inability to figure out which "to, too, two" to use.

Tom

QuoteI would wager EVERYONE on this forum could print out beautiful words if taken the time to do so.
No matter how I try, I can't print legibly for very long. My hands cramp up, I can barely keep in the lines, and there's very little legibility. And this was back in school when I still had to do it all day every day. Its only gotten worse.

QuoteThe only way to get around that is to simply remove the helping hand
Certain issues leave me with no option but to use the spell check. Of course, I actually will remember the spelling of a word if I see it popup more than a few times (hopefully), but half the time I won't know if it was spelt wrong in the first place. Its part typo's, part recall, and part lexdysia ;) (not necessarily in that order)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on December 09, 2006, 05:16:48 PM
Its part typo's, part recall, and part lexdysia ;) (not necessarily in that order)

I think you mean lysdexia. ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!