H1N1 "vaccine" -- pros and cons

Started by Darren Dirt, September 24, 2009, 12:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewie521

I found the H1N1 vaccine has been made for the people in "Risk Zone", and not for EVERYONE. They're playing commercials that say,"If you want to protect yourself and loved ones, go and get the H1N1 vaccine. The Government of Canada would like to remind you that this vaccine is NOT FOR EVERYONE." That is what they're playing on radio stations. It's stupid.

Darren Dirt

It's called "revising history", states (i.e. countries, nations) often proclaim one "truth" for a while, to get the masses to react a certain way, then after enough desired results, they shout out a signficantly modified message, acting like the first one wasn't that big a difference from what they are saying now, soon not even publicly acknowledging the original message (harder to do now, with the internet).

See also: Bush Mission Accomplished, Rumsfeld WMDs/Iraq-Saddam-Hussein-connection-to-911, Orwell's 1984 esp. "The Memory Hole".

Or just ignore me and my 4am rants, most everyone else on the forum does ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

We're simply distracted by your tin foil hat DD ;)

The REAL problem with vaccines are the companies that make them and the pure greed related to "helping people". Very ugly, very real.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I am sure there is a small difference per province but I swear the radio ads all end with "there is enough for everyone" here. Also the ads are heavy on "get the vaccine to protect those that can't" IE you could be in contact with someone that can't take it and has a poor immune system.

The reasoning and stats are all over the place, I really can't see taking a vaccine for such a high mutation virus like the flu. The odds of it being effective are over such a small window of time that it seems pointless. Vaccines for more stable things make lots of sense to me...

raeofsunshine

my aunt and her family all got the shot. it started with one of them who got flu like symptoms as a side effect of the shot and the passed it around like hot potato for over a month. and one was hospitalized.

i did the high dose vitamin d thing when we got sick i was the least sick out of all of us after i started taking it. i had a slight fever before but it went away shortly after taking the first dose. i didnt have enough on hand to treat us all. i was just really worried about me and baby and all my other underlaying health issues.

this was the mildest flu season in recent history even less dramatic than the 1976 swine flu scare (which was also hyped up and a big let down and they also had a mass vaccine campaign for as well.) . they were originally predicting in the states that the death rate would be double or more that of regular years. (which 36,000 die of flu complications) this year so far was maybe 10,000 or so last i looked Worldwide...

the one thing they are also doing in their add campaigns is talking about the effacy of (flu shots). (the antibody tiler response) but they fail to mention that only 50% of people tend to get i high enough a response to say it has effacy on them however that is not the same thing as effectiveness. of those 50%  only half (with healthy immune/ mature immune systems) actually gained immunity from it. that is to say if everyone who got the shot was perfectly healthy only 25% had immunity from it. but if you were perfectly healthy you would likely have been able to fight it off on your own... but that also means that it its effectiveness is less 25% because most who got it had a weakened immune system from other health conditions.

those with weakened immune systems have a much lower response and children under three show no difference over placebo. many third world countries though they were getting aid from other countries even suspended the vaccines as the ones who got the shot ended up getting more sick.

one drug company actually filed for a patent on h1n1 as early as the beginning of 2008 they had ample time to get ready... but some sources say it was a lab mistake and it was "accidently" released there were even a few periodic news reports on that subject.

and do i need to remind you about the avian flu scare and what a joke that was?

ok i could go on and on with what i have learned about the corrilation to the quality of what we eat how much exorcise we get and how much sun exposure we have but i wont get into it. just remember as with any health issue you are what you eat. and what youre exposed to in your environment. and not all germs are bad for you ...

Mr. Analog

Could it be that the flu never became a serious threat because of the widespread vaccinations?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 03, 2010, 03:27:31 PM
Could it be that the flu never became a serious threat because of the widespread vaccinations?

Didn't they announce that it had peeked while the "shortages" where still in effect IE only high risk category people where getting vaccinated? Also from what I gathered at the clinic when we all went in they stopped testing everyone for specific H1N1 and only tested those that had been hospitalized. IE ALL flu cases became suspected H1N1 cases despite earlier stats showing less than 30% where.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on January 03, 2010, 04:09:28 PM

Didn't they announce that it had peeked while the "shortages" where still in effect IE only high risk category people where getting vaccinated? Also from what I gathered at the clinic when we all went in they stopped testing everyone for specific H1N1 and only tested those that had been hospitalized. IE ALL flu cases became suspected H1N1 cases despite earlier stats showing less than 30% where.

All I know is this; H1N1 was not remarkable for it's deadliness but for it's ability to spread quickly however IF it did mutate into something more dangerous vaccination would give peoples' immune system a head start. The initial media fueled rush caused shortages which the Gov't should have anticipated (but being the confused old darlings they are, didn't). Ahem, anyway, from what I've read what peaked was spread of infection of the initial virus, the danger now is that it mutates somewhere and slips back into circulation. So it may not be a bad idea to get your immune system used to detecting at least part of the protein coat of this flu before it makes a comeback (which, given the speed at which it spread is almost a certainty).

That said, I didn't appreciate the scaremongering and almost comedic levels of panic the media raised. That is very dangerous "boy who cried wolf" territory.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

See the info is all a mess. According to everything I have read H1N1 spreads exactly the same as any flu hence the common wash your hands an use your sleave prevention rush.

The only difference was that it was able to kill a wider age group than ususal.

Forgive my limited understanding of biology but my understanding is that imunity is almost and exact match type of thing hence why mutations in cold and flu continue to spread.

Tonnica

The vaccination is such an easy target and so is the scaremongering. But there was a lot of useful information about prevention of catching and spreading the flu provided with the campaign.

But that's all just common sense reprinted on bits of paper and taking up space in the evening news. Total waste of money, right?

No, not really.

Before I got the mailing from Health Canada I never really considered the difference sneezing in to the crook of my elbow rather than my hands would make. I'm a pretty careful person and it was still a new and useful tidbit for me.

Now consider the number of people that caught a flu strain (doesn't matter which) this year who may not have been washing their hands thoroughly or even using soap when washing (ew!). They read the info and fearful of their own health they follow the directions. Those people are no longer coating every surface they touch with as many germs so the potential for viral transmission goes down. Suddenly less people getting sick, and that's awesome.

The information campaign was just as important as the shot itself. The vaccine wasn't really for you or I after all, it was for the sake of people at the centre of our society whose bodies can't fight the flu and could die or suffer from complications.

It's just too bad that there was so much liberty taken with how the information was passed on in newspapers and TV. The medium is the message and a scary broadcast about how "YOU and everyone you LOVE are in DANGER!!!!" will do exactly what it's meant to do; scare.

In the end some of us actually do need the shot but not all. We're a pretty healthy society and that's something to be thankful for. More people are washing their hands now, taking vitamin D, and not coming in to work sick? Even better! Preventing the spread of colds and the flu is really that easy but everyone has to do their part.

Darren Dirt

no.

/thread

seriously, though, there have been other "H1N1" scares, those who were adults in the 1970s (i think) were reminded this past year of what fearmongering they were a witness to back then -- and nothing came out of it, no widespread mass deaths, etc. and no vaccine push, I guess Big Pharma wasn't as powerful back then and/or didn't have the tech to mass produce the "cure" quite yet.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go watch "The Stand" and "They Live" on 2 monitors at once... My crazy mind has advanced to the point of being able to simultaneously watch both* "you really think they're fictional, don't you, you poor sheeple" movies...

*I wish.

raeofsunshine

actually there was a vaccine push in 76 for swine flu (h1n1) though at the time only 24% of the population (then 218,035,000 so only 46 million) had gotten the shot before it was canceled. only one death occurred from flu h1n1 (in the states I believe) and 25 had died from the shot. and at least 500 were reported to having very bad reactions to it. 5 000 sought damages against the manufacturers and now the companies have liability protection from potential damages....

. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_swine_flu_outbreak http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTOXkyaFv4

the campaign now about 50% of the usa got the shot. (*of 303,824,640) so about 152 000 000

Darren Dirt

tyvm rae, for validating my conspiracy theory ... I mean, for offering actual facts (statistics, anyway) that at least kinda backed up my general summary of what I heard once (while waiting for a bus downtown late at night... ;) )

raeofsunshine

so lazy is right ii am starting to sound like you... *hides *grabs tin foil hat ~.^