Frag 2009 Who is going?

Started by Lazybones, April 20, 2009, 10:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 25, 2009, 09:54:00 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 25, 2009, 08:39:48 PM
Quote from: Tom on July 25, 2009, 12:40:46 PM
I take it staying in Tent City is out of the question as well?

Yes, I like my back the way it is thank you...

I had really hoped this would be one Fraga that would be an easy goddamn commute.
It would have been about the same as last year. The two buildings were in the same parking lot after all. (of course now the Sport Ex is gone...)

Last year was a lot easier:
-My parents were in town
-Cab fare was $15 max
-LRT/bus takes about 20 min from my house

I'm seriously thinking of getting a room at the hotel for convenience, anyone else in on that action?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I hope that everyone who wants to go can still attend and will have a good time.  Reading through the "major announcement" thread, I do wonder these things:

1. Does Fragapalooza show it's books to the public?  (income, expenses, savings from previous years)
2. Does Fragapalooza give refunds if income was a lot higher than expenses or does it go into a slush fund?
3. Does Fragapalooza give refunds to people who register and then choose not to go and ask for said refunds before the event happens?
4. Does the guy who posted so angrily and then was found out to not even have registered in the "I Might Be Interested" thread really think he'll change anything with such a vitriolic post?  (Chicken Chaser, I think it was)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Well, first off most people (especially gamers) can be whiny ass bitches (me too) but you know it'll be a better event without guys like that :-/

As far as I know they are not incorporated, which could make things tricky for them if there ever is a situation with liability.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I might be interested in splitting two days at a hotel (sat,sun), but my budget is razor thin as it is.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on July 26, 2009, 06:02:30 PM
I might be interested in splitting two days at a hotel (sat,sun), but my budget is razor thin as it is.

With 3 or 4 people I might be interested. I can't afford much.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

I know the move is unsettling, and I know it is harder for those without your own transportation.  We realize that was going to be a very hard part of this move.  But let me tell you this (and please, please, please understand), without this move there was a very real chance that Frag was going to be a no-more this year.

Early Registration numbers are down around 55% from last year, and we could bank 400+ showing up at the door to register and pay.  Our sponsorship is also drastically down, most citing the recession as a cause for lack of interest or unwillingness to sponsor.  We're told by other LANs that they are experiencing similar problems.  We knew this before even opening registrations.  That's why we tried different ideas this year - adding cash prizes for tourneys, trying to add a trade show. These were in an effort to keep us at the Northlands, but with their new accommodations, costs went up.  With our numbers down, we couldn't even try and stay there (and we did try several negotiations to make it happen).

As I said earlier, we looked at so so so many places to come up with just this one.  Myself included, we must have tried over 100+ locations.  Power is always an issue, so we even looked at generators and warehouses with portable washrooms (port-a-potties).  So when we found the DOW, and it looked like we could make it work, we were so so so relieved!  Even knowing the lashback to come, we still found it to be the best choice for the best possible Frag.  Not a decision taken lightly, nor one taken without knowing the risks and consequences as best we could see.

Quote from: Thorin on July 26, 2009, 02:27:14 PM
I hope that everyone who wants to go can still attend and will have a good time.  Reading through the "major announcement" thread, I do wonder these things:

1. Does Fragapalooza show it's books to the public?  (income, expenses, savings from previous years)
2. Does Fragapalooza give refunds if income was a lot higher than expenses or does it go into a slush fund?
3. Does Fragapalooza give refunds to people who register and then choose not to go and ask for said refunds before the event happens?
4. Does the guy who posted so angrily and then was found out to not even have registered in the "I Might Be Interested" thread really think he'll change anything with such a vitriolic post?  (Chicken Chaser, I think it was)

Lets see if I can answer some of these.

1.  Fragapalooza, while being a non-profit event, is not a public entity, charity, government body or anything that you normally see related to that question.  Even myself, a staff member of 5 years, does not see everything.  Our president and vice president are the only ones who know the books.
2.  Our registration agreement states no refunds - not that exceptions don't occur.  Extra income - in my experience - has been translated into extras for the event, and/or its volunteers.  Whether it is the current year, or the next.  Again though I'm not privileged to the bottom line.
3.  Despite our registration policy of no refunds, I know there have been exceptions in the past, and we try to work with each case individually to a satisfactory outcome.  That being said, when your venue is host to 800+ people, it is hard to please everyone and meet every special case.  I'm sure there has been times when refunds have been turned down.

I left out #4 as I don't think you need a response to that one. 

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 26, 2009, 05:52:11 PM
As far as I know they are not incorporated, which could make things tricky for them if there ever is a situation with liability.

Frag is incorporated as I understand it, and we are required to have liability insurance to hold any event.  You have to have the venue as an beneficiary of your Liability Insurance before any will let you book.

This, among many other things, I learned this year helping plan the event.  Like here is an interesting tid bit.  With us running at 350 people, server farm, network equipment, PA system, and projectors, over 4 days we need  around 2500-3000 AMPs of 110 power just to run the event.  You know what that translates in costs?  I had no idea... lets just say the venue rental is a minor cost in the grand total compared to the power rental required.  I really had no idea what the costs of Frag is, and must say now that I have a very good idea (after making so many inquiries over the past month).

I really hope all you that come every year can still make it.  It will be one of grass-roots I think, back to the old, as we are thinking with the number of people being less, it will be a more tightly run ship, and more personalized for those who attend.

Quote from: Tom on July 26, 2009, 08:51:54 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on July 26, 2009, 06:02:30 PM

With 3 or 4 people I might be interested. I can't afford much.

And as for the Hotel, I'd be in if we get enough people, but only if we do get enough to make it worth it.  $118/night, 3 nights...  if not, I can stomach the 30min drive home to sleep.  But count me in if you can get it down to a reasonable amount through sharing.  I'm good for $50 a night myself I think.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

QuoteAnd as for the Hotel, I'd be in if we get enough people, but only if we do get enough to make it worth it.  $118/night, 3 nights...  if not, I can stomach the 30min drive home to sleep.  But count me in if you can get it down to a reasonable amount through sharing.  I'm good for $50 a night myself I think.
$50/night is a bit much for me, but if its Mr A. Lazy, You and Myself, thats about $30/night, which I should be able to handle. I guess it depends on how many people we can stuff in a room ;)

I really don't have an issue with the move. Gotta do what ya gotta do. If I were doing it alone, I would only have a shortish cab ride (probably shorter than to Northlands) to the new venue to get my stuff there, and use tent city to sleep. Its even easier if someone is willing to give me a lift, but that would just be a nice bonus.

edit: and if the room doesn't happen, and you don't want to stay in tent city, I have a new double sized air mattress that has anyone's name on it if they want to stay in my living room :D Its not _that_ far from the DOW. (not that I've checked) I have one condition though, bring me with you ;D

Mr. Analog

I will talk to Tonnica when she gets back about the room, she's only coming for Sat/Sun anyway so it might work out best if we get a room.

Ok, I may book this today anyway for all four days and then if we need to cancel it shouldn't be a problem.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

This is very interesting: http://www.fragapalooza.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3174&sid=ef83ec28455f6f88bd76cef53c9229be.

Seems they will be previewing a documentary about MMO players, and Frag will be a test audience for it.

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on July 27, 2009, 08:16:38 AM
This is very interesting: http://www.fragapalooza.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3174&sid=ef83ec28455f6f88bd76cef53c9229be.

Seems they will be previewing a documentary about MMO players, and Frag will be a test audience for it.
I think I saw a preview of that on W5 or something. They were doing a story on how Second Life and WOW impact families in real life..

Mr. Analog

Ok, Tonnica is cool with a room, so I'm going to try to book one tomorrow.

I'll see if I can get a suite or something equally HUEG

Bring earplugs.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 27, 2009, 09:27:58 PM
Ok, Tonnica is cool with a room, so I'm going to try to book one tomorrow.

I'll see if I can get a suite or something equally HUEG

Bring earplugs.
I'm not quite ok with huge ;D Don't let it jack the price up too far.

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

FYI Seating has been re-opened for reservation.  We couldn't transfer the existing stuff over, so you have to repick.