Main Menu

MINECRAFT

Started by Mr. Analog, December 10, 2011, 07:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

I am thinking there are enough of us playing now that maybe a Minecraft sub section might be needed for the Game Chat forum

Or we should start prefixing posts Minecraft: to split up discussions.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

quite the old post I'm replying to, but closing out my browser windows this is from a few days ago...

Quote from: Melbosa on March 15, 2012, 11:40:10 AM
That is what I was getting at.  Priorities shift and change.  If gaming isn't a priority, that is fine.

QuoteI think once/if you get up to two plus kids you will understand... Thorin is even busier, more kids and they are in demanding activities.
And yet Thorin makes time for his D&D game nights, despite his many engagements, because it is a priority to him.  He isn't out of time, he just spends it differently.

And another peeve I am starting to get is the "when you have kids you will understand" statements.  Yes I know my life will change.  Yes I know my finances will change.  Yes I get that life will be different, that time will seem to disappear for myself or ourselves (meaning my wife and I).  Just cause I don't have kids of my own doesn't mean I live a sheltered uneducated life.  This way I live my life today is because my priorities and responsibilities are based on that life.  When my life changes, so will those priorities and responsibilities.  I hope when it is my turn with the family life that I have some aspect of my gaming still there

(A)

or

(B)

#whichwillitbe... ;)

tbh, I totally understand both POVs, there's plenty of things that used to be important to me that no longer are, as a result of taking my Parent role (privilege, actually!) a lot more seriously ... but I don't judge anyone who still holds on to old habits/interests. As long as the little ones don't get ignored. i.e. http://www.fark.com/comments/4796227/56199021#c56199021
"Speaking of spawn, Clara, where are your kids?"
"Oh yeah, huh?"
*looks the other way uninterestedly*

;D

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Really?  You went there?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Holy Hyperbole Batman!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on March 16, 2012, 11:42:29 AM
Really?  You went there?

I'm pretty sure you replied before I clarified my post. Hope my intent is a lot less malicious-appearing bro. :)

Some nights I totally miss super-jumping over buildings and fighting in Task Forces. No joke. Those were good times. As have been the fighting game nights at Mr. Analog's (and I thought I would never like fighting games!)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

New forum section so we can separate discussion.

Mr. A and Tom are set as the sub-forum mods.

Tom since you run the server you may want to update the sticky I created about the server as things change so people can quickly see updates if the version changes etc.

Maybe even post new reply's for maintenance notices If you expect it to be offline at times.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on March 16, 2012, 12:24:16 PM

Tom since you run the server you may want to update the sticky I created about the server as things change so people can quickly see updates if the version changes etc.

Maybe even post new reply's for maintenance notices If you expect it to be offline at times.
I'll try and remember ;D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on March 16, 2012, 01:02:38 PM

I'll try and remember ;D

Also with more people on there I've noticed a few server lag issues (world holes, XY coord screwups on login). I guess what I'm saying is keep backups of the map :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 16, 2012, 01:34:23 PM
Quote from: Tom on March 16, 2012, 01:02:38 PM

I'll try and remember ;D

Also with more people on there I've noticed a few server lag issues (world holes, XY coord screwups on login). I guess what I'm saying is keep backups of the map :D
That stuff doesn't normally hurt the map at all. Minecraft seems to save directly to the map every chance it gets, at most with a crash you might lose a few minutes or an hour of time? Maybe? I did set my backups back up. Every morning at 7am it runs a incremental backup, and weekly it syncs that up to my dedicated box in Michigan. So we're good for backups. There's really no way to fix the lag though. Quadcore with 8G ram should be more than enough. Clearly it is not a problem of power, rather it is a problem of implementation. (aka: notch is a horrible coder)

Melbosa

SO man I just logged in and its a monsoon!  Rain very very very heavy!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Woo that's good to hear that we have lots of backups, Tom FTW

Boo that's it's pissin' rain again!!

Still, for some reason a lot less rain on this server than last (and we were bordered on a desert biome!)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 16, 2012, 06:14:05 PM
Woo that's good to hear that we have lots of backups, Tom FTW

Boo that's it's pissin' rain again!!

Still, for some reason a lot less rain on this server than last (and we were bordered on a desert biome!)
The last map had THE MOST rain I had ever seen. It was a rare when it /wasn't/ raining.