Cliff Claven Trivia

Started by Bryan, March 10, 2005, 02:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

Why are cops called pigs?

If you do have an answer, try to support it with a link.

-----> http://www.stickdeath.com/ <-----
click on "Martyr Machine" f'n hilarious!!!!

Ustauk

This is not a good day for a joke like that.  As I type this, there's a memorial service going on for those four RCMP officers who were struck down at the farm outside of Mayerthorpe.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Ustauk"This is not a good day for a joke like that.  As I type this, there's a memorial service going on for those four RCMP officers who were struck down at the farm outside of Mayerthorpe.
What does that have to do with a reference to an age old colloquialism? This is why I hate f*cking Political "Correctness", peoples' sense of outrage / morals are warped beyond repair. All it does is force us to forget things, important things.

It's sad that so many cops had to die to take out one crazy ass Native guy, it's a real tragedy. But I'm not going to change the way I act or think because of it. Yeah, you know what, cops can be real assholes sometimes and most Native guys are just regular Joes like anyone else in this Country, I'm not going to start thinking other things, and I'm damn well not going to stop saying them either.

So stick that in your craw.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"
Quote from: "Ustauk"This is not a good day for a joke like that.  As I type this, there's a memorial service going on for those four RCMP officers who were struck down at the farm outside of Mayerthorpe.
What does that have to do with a reference to an age old colloquialism? This is why I hate f*cking Political "Correctness", peoples' sense of outrage / morals are warped beyond repair. All it does is force us to forget things, important things.

It's sad that so many cops had to die to take out one crazy ass Native guy, it's a real tragedy. But I'm not going to change the way I act or think because of it. Yeah, you know what, cops can be real assholes sometimes and most Native guys are just regular Joes like anyone else in this Country, I'm not going to start thinking other things, and I'm damn well not going to stop saying them either.

So stick that in your craw.
I apologize if my post offended anybody.  I did not intend it to have anything to do with political correctness. I just thought it'd be appropriate to hold off the joke until another day, out of respect for the fallen officers.  If you disagree with me, feel free to post your responses/jokes, its a free country and forum.

Lazybones

Possible answer.

QuoteThirty years ago, early in my law enforcement career, cops (myself included) were insensitive to the civil liberties of civil rights and antiwar protesters. We were called "pigs" -- sometimes deservedly so -- because we trampled on protestors and their constitutional right to protest.
http://www.cjpf.org/police/humboldt.html

Darren Dirt

Oh man, you do not want me to start digging through the ol' Dirt Archives to find cases of Extreme "Peace Officer" Brutality... But re. the original question, I find it funny that the aforementioned slang definition is what appears first on UrbanDictionary.com  :blink:  

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Ustauk"I just thought it'd be appropriate to hold off the joke
My concern is over the necesity for self-censorship, if you don't want to talk about or read something because of your feelings, fine don't force it onto others please, just move along.

And yes, I know the second part of my rant contains huge generalizations, but I said them, I wasn't afraid not to because of something that happened a few days ago or ten years ago or a million years ago.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Darren Dirt"Oh man, you do not want me to start digging through the ol' Dirt Archives to find cases of Extreme "Peace Officer" Brutality... But re. the original question, I find it funny that the aforementioned slang definition is what appears first on UrbanDictionary.com  :blink:
Yeah well, that's bound to happen when any two large groups collide, let alone one that represents the antithesis of the other...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

I apologise for going off like an incendiary in a Jerry Can.

I know Ustauk was expressing his personal views and I shouldn't have said what I did to him specifically. Personally, I've had as much as I can take from the media-tainment we get oozing out of the radio and television every day telling us how Canadians are supposed to think and feel.

Ustauk, I hope you can forgive me.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"I apologise for going off like an incendiary in a Jerry Can.

Personally, I've had as much as I can take from the media-tainment we get oozing out of the radio and television every day telling us how Canadians are supposed to think and feel.
Hey, I had a friend named Jerry, and he died in a Can-related incident. Now you offended me. ;)

Seriously, just joking. Hope we're done this PC/unPC debate... :P

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Ustauk

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"I apologise for going off like an incendiary in a Jerry Can.

I know Ustauk was expressing his personal views and I shouldn't have said what I did to him specifically. Personally, I've had as much as I can take from the media-tainment we get oozing out of the radio and television every day telling us how Canadians are supposed to think and feel.

Ustauk, I hope you can forgive me.
No forgiving required.  We've all put off the cuff remarks out when we didn't mean to.  My post was off the cuff as well, as I heard about the service going on on the radio, so "those(me) who live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones" :)

Bryan

For the love of god...

We had a discussion at work and we just can't figure out where the slang pig for a cop came from. I did read one dictionary site and it said the slang started back in the 1800's. It could be wrong. That other link to where it talked about cops trampling on protesters rights sounds pretty solid. There must be a webpage out there somewhere that explains this.

no joke intended, and I am surprized that a moral discussion came of this. Especially since I named the thread "Cliff Claven Trivia".  

ps I think it's awful what happened in Alberta.

Melbosa

Maybe it comes from the kids... your Dad always called us Pigs growing up because of the amount of food you and I ate... maybe it just got shrunk from "Your kids are pigs" to "You Pig" :P

Sigh... good times :D
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Bryan

Burpins and Farting never helped either. :P