James Doohan has passed on

Started by Ustauk, July 20, 2005, 11:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ustauk

Darren Dirt

QuoteJames Doohan, best known for playing Montgomery "Scotty" Scott on the original Star Trek series, has died at the age of 85.

The cause of death was pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease. ... Doohan had been suffering from Parkinson's disease, diabetes and lung fibrosis.

Doohan's ability to master many dialects and different accents impressed Gene Roddenberry, the creator of a new space adventure, in 1966. On the strength of a strong Scottish accent, producers chose Doohan for the original cast of Star Trek, which ran from 1966 to 1969. ... his role as the scrappy space engineer Scotty ...

Aye, Jimmy. Your talent as a Canadian character actor shined brightly through the fog of Shatneroverdramatizing... But you've been suffering in a big way, of late. Beam you up, Scotty. :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Shayne

Mr. Analog

Scotty was my fave from the original series, and one of the few comic characters of the films, I'll miss him.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

DeForest Kelley was my fav :)  He just seemed so out of place on the set, like ... the atitude of being better then the show, but being broke and needing the work.  The movies he appeared better and more "character like".

Darren Dirt

A Tribute -- surprisingly touching, considering what YTMND is usually like ;)

http://ripmrscott.ytmnd.com/

Strive for progress. Not perfection.