DAMN CREEPERS (and spiders!)

Started by Thorin, April 04, 2012, 09:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on April 04, 2012, 11:37:38 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 04, 2012, 11:32:13 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on April 04, 2012, 11:31:18 AM
Quote from: Melbosa on April 04, 2012, 11:28:49 AM
All I can say is Strip-mine - where my diamonds come from.  Rarely do I find them cave or cavern exploring.  Always the strip-mine for me.  I know it isn't as efficient to find diamonds as Mr. Analog's corridor mine design, but I need the stone as well for other builds, so I find it as rewarding.

The problem is that strip mining takes longer unless you have high level picks already...

TNT!

The only trouble is lava...

For clearing space yes, but getting resources... TNT bad: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/TNT

QuoteMining using TNT might be faster than mining by hand but it is impractical for gathering resources; about 70% of the blocks are completely destroyed in the process. In addition, TNT is not very effective when used to mine cobblestone and ores and is only time efficient when mining blocks with a low damage resistance, such as dirt or sand. The items needed to make TNT are quite valuable and may be a waste of resources if nothing is gained out of it. Nevertheless, TNT can be a part of efficient mining techniques - as the means of removing unneeded layers of blocks and exposing underlying layers. It can also be used for clearing large volumes for underground building projects.

Still Water, Lava, Obsidian and Bedrock are the only materials that will resist a TNT explosion.

So looks like Diamonds might be destroyed.
Likely. I've had creepers destroy diamonds on me. That wasn't fun.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Too good for wood pickaxe eh? For shame (j/k)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on April 04, 2012, 11:34:48 AM
How long have I been playing now?
Almost exactly one month.
http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php/topic,8297.msg57365.html#msg57365

Now for perspective, Mr. A has been playing since before the server was reset.
So for current progress compared to Mr.A, he has been on this version of the server since Jan 28 / Feb 1 when the server came back clean, so he has two months on you....
http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php/topic,8297.msg56503.html#msg56503

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on April 04, 2012, 11:43:55 AM
Quote from: Melbosa on April 04, 2012, 11:34:48 AM
How long have I been playing now?
Almost exactly one month.
http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php/topic,8297.msg57365.html#msg57365

Now for perspective, Mr. A has been playing since before the server was reset.
So for current progress compared to Mr.A, he has been on this version of the server since Jan 28 / Feb 1 when the server came back clean, so he has two months on you....
http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php/topic,8297.msg56503.html#msg56503

Man, that puts some perspective on things. I'll say this about the old server, it was much less lively. Having more people online really spices it up.

I think more experience with the game helps too, I'm more adventurous in what I try to do and less worried about what I'll lose doing it. I've been impressed with the builds I've done and what I've seen other people do.

We have an amazing group of creative people and I see it only getting better with time. It won't be too far in the future when we have a whole world crammed with cool stuff :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

It's all I can think about at the moment, getting back on.  Although I need to do some planning for whatever I'm going to do next.

I ended up digging a 1 wide 2 high tunnel from my one building to my other.  It really is safer to go underground instead of overland.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on April 05, 2012, 03:38:04 PM
It's all I can think about at the moment, getting back on.  Although I need to do some planning for whatever I'm going to do next.

I ended up digging a 1 wide 2 high tunnel from my one building to my other.  It really is safer to go underground instead of overland.

Yep, it's one way to go. Another is long, narrow bridges in the sky :D

On our old server I had "skyways" connecting all the major houses n'stuff
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Neither tunnel nor skyway fit my current theme :(  But I needed to stop getting blowed up by creepers (there were five hissing through a window at my last night!)

On a related note, I need to figure out how to keep creepers and other mobs away.  Fences make a safe zone as long as there's enough light, right?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on April 05, 2012, 04:16:35 PM
Neither tunnel nor skyway fit my current theme :(  But I needed to stop getting blowed up by creepers (there were five hissing through a window at my last night!)

On a related note, I need to figure out how to keep creepers and other mobs away.  Fences make a safe zone as long as there's enough light, right?
One option:

Cobble/Stone slabs + fence + torches. Mobs can't spawn on slabs, fence will keep mobs out, and  torches should help keep them from spawning anywhere close.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Fences + light work for most of the mobs, spiders can climb over the fences... The stone slabs are another good option..

Always good to simply have a back door out of a building or a tunnel of some sort that exits a little ways away...

Lazybones

Also another tip, you can put stone or wood pressure plates on the insides of your doors and gates. They will open automatically on your way out (careful when mobs are around) and they will auto close behind you when you run in... Don't put them on the outside as the mobs will trigger them as well.

Mr. Analog

Enough light will do the trick, of course mobs do tend to wander...

Sounds like you were enjoying the rare occurrence of a mob of mobs spawning (something like 5 to 6 of a given type!).

Oh yes, the other day I found several doors open at various locations and it made me wonder who the newb was. Don't be a Xephos! Don't leave your door open!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Spiders can still climb over the fences and come into the yard, though.  And they can be hostile if they were hiding in the shade of a tree.

Maybe I need a 3-high fence with "barbed wire" on the outside, like so:

XX
X
X

where "X" is a fence piece.  But that's kinda ugly, and one of those times were function makes for ugly form.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 05, 2012, 04:31:17 PM
Oh yes, the other day I found several doors open at various locations and it made me wonder who the newb was. Don't be a Xephos! Don't leave your door open!

Need more pressure plates.... However I have seen those get stuck some times