Built a protected building over the spawn?

Started by Lazybones, April 04, 2012, 11:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Just an idea, when I spawned on the server I was out in the open in the snow, in the dark.... I wonder if we could not build a large terminal building over / around it. To protect noobs, and maybe post some signs with basic rules and directions for the server? Not that I expect we will get a lot more users but just an idea.

Mr. Analog

It's a thought... hmm

I'll see what I can figure out, I know there's a command to reset your starting location, I can't quite recall exactly where the spawn is anymore :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 04, 2012, 12:15:34 PM
It's a thought... hmm

I'll see what I can figure out, I know there's a command to reset your starting location, I can't quite recall exactly where the spawn is anymore :D

Well Overviewer marks it... It should be the mound beside this castle... simply building a wall, light and some doors around it should make it safe.

http://mc.tomasu.org/#/15/64/-13/max/0/0

Lazybones

Even clearing out the trees would help since mobs like to hang out in the shade during the day.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on April 04, 2012, 12:28:47 PM
It's a thought... hmm

Well Overviewer marks it... It should be the mound beside this castle... simply building a wall, light and some doors around it should make it safe.

I dunno if that pointer is exactly right. It's been a couple months though lol.

I thought the spawn point was closer to where I eventually built my house...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 04, 2012, 12:38:36 PM
It's a thought... hmm

maybe, then again we may have spawned on the closest safe block without a tree obstructing the spawn?

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on April 04, 2012, 12:47:21 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 04, 2012, 12:38:36 PM
It's a thought... hmm

maybe, then again we may have spawned on the closest safe block without a tree obstructing the spawn?
I think you can spawn anywhere inside the spawn area. Which is at least a 16x16 chunk. Though it might be possible for the game to put you slightly outside of it? I don't know about that though.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

In multiplayer, each player spawns in a slightly different location, within 20 or so blocks from the central spawn point.  At least, that's what Minecraft Wiki told me.  So you may have spawned a littler over yonder, but the actual spawn point marker is right at 0,0 in the world.

More users?  That would be interesting.  Imagine how quickly the world would change...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Detailed explanation

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Spawn/Multiplayer_Details

we would need to alter some buildings maybe and create a fairly large fence, but it is doable.

Melbosa

More room now that I removed the castle area
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

An old Allegro.cc MC server map had a large building covering the entire spawn area. Though usually you spawned on top of it, cause it didn't like the glass ceiling (even though it was supposed to be transparent to the spawn locator code).

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on April 04, 2012, 01:03:08 PM
An old Allegro.cc MC server map had a large building covering the entire spawn area. Though usually you spawned on top of it, cause it didn't like the glass ceiling (even though it was supposed to be transparent to the spawn locator code).

The link I posted stated basically it puts you on the highest block withing there, So building a fence around the outside then cleaning up the inside would probably make the most sense... Or build a little protected platform in the center with some steps down.

Thorin

So you'd have to read the level.dat file to get the exact spawn point coordinates (apparently it's not 0,0,0).  Then you could figure out what the spawn area and what the protected area is, and then an op would need to build the structure (non-ops can't place blocks in the protected area).

I like this idea, especially if my bed doesn't work correctly again and I get placed back by the spawn point...  Signs with some basic rules and directions would be great, too.  And I like the idea of a platform with a staircase down to the ground, although you have to watch out for mobs spawning in the platform's shadow.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on April 04, 2012, 01:40:14 PM
And I like the idea of a platform with a staircase down to the ground, although you have to watch out for mobs spawning in the platform's shadow.

Some torches should fix that, since all shadows are high noon top down anyway.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on April 04, 2012, 01:56:14 PM
Quote from: Thorin on April 04, 2012, 01:40:14 PM
And I like the idea of a platform with a staircase down to the ground, although you have to watch out for mobs spawning in the platform's shadow.

Some torches should fix that, since all shadows are high noon top down anyway.
The ground underneath could be covered in halfslabs too.

Stewie521

sorta skipped through this... You can't place blocks within 20 squares of the spawn, also to find the spawn, take a compass, walk around the general are of the spawn, and watch how it behaves, you'll figure it out quite quickly

Thorin

Quote from: Stewie521 on April 04, 2012, 05:20:42 PM
You can't place blocks within 20 squares of the spawn

The administrative types can :)  Which is how this would have to get built.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful