Live from Macworld 2007

Started by Lazybones, January 09, 2007, 10:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on January 09, 2007, 11:54:20 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on January 09, 2007, 11:49:29 AMThis device would be enough to make me switch to GSM.

Is Rogers the only GSM carrier in Canada?  I did some quick looking around and it would look like it.  So we are going to be stuck with them for the most part.  Hopefully Cingular doesnt strangle hold this for to long, ebay is an option.

We have three carriers in canada...
Rogers GSM
Telus CDMA
Bell CDMA

ALL other providers in canada are virtual providers that sell handsets working off of these three networks under different branding.

Shayne

Im not arguing that the price isnt good, i just think its way out of my price range.  even the 4GB version.

Shayne

Well, thats it.  Apple changed there name at the end (dropping Computer) and stock is now at 7.27% and climbing rapidly. (make that 8.2%)

Shayne

RIM stocks dropped nearly 7% on the day (makers of the Blackberry)

TheDruid

Quote from: Shayne on January 09, 2007, 10:49:33 AM
and BOY have we patented it!"

That sucks, Its ironic though because drunkener and i were talking this morning about the IPod interface and how we love it, unfortunately well never see it on any other device due to patents. I then suggested maybe other manufactures could get around this by making a touch pad where you can use patterns and gestures to execute commands kind of like in the game Black&white, for example draw a ">" for play or something.

Well then i checked out this thread and behold! Apples new product and a mile long list of interface patens to go with it. There goes innovation out the window again, really i question the usefulness of patens in the digital technology industry.

The whole industry is F****d IMO, everyone musling eachother out with patens and the lawsuits are running ramped.
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Shayne

Whats worse then that Druid is that Apple just set the bar at such a high level that it will take years and years for other companies to even come close.  Other smart phones normally run on Palm or Microsoft based OS so its now up to those 2 companies to get there phone OS up to and beyond the Apple point, I'm not so sure thats an easy task if you see what Apple has done.

I will agree though that when you begin patenting things like an interface you really cripple the rest of the world.  The click wheel is still in my mind the best interface ever designed for a portable device.  You never need to move your finger off that little touch sensitive pad.  Things that Creative has done simply do not compare.  Now they went and did the same thing for touch screen.

Lazybones

One gaping hole in this presentation was word of corporate email integration. This appears to be a completely personal targeted device, with Yahoo providing the PUSH email support.

Anyone wonder if there is also a PRO version not far behind with an MAC XServer tie in?

Shayne

Its also pretty hardcore Apple which is a problem if your company is well...Microsoft with Doc/XLS/etc.  It is totally targetted at the personal level.

Lazybones

Official iPhone page is up
http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Macs do a rather good job of opening most document types, however for corporate space you would need some form of office on the phone.

Claims to be running Mac OS X.. but I wonder what CPU, how much RAM and what subset of the OS it supports. If you can launch even some of the native OS X apps, it would be amazing.

Shayne

OSX embedded is my guess.  No idea about specs which is sorta disappointing, I was hoping to know the size and resolution of the screen, also how much of the embedded 4/8GB is taken up by OS and Apps would be nice to know.  I really look forward to the Arstechnica review on this thing come June.

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on January 09, 2007, 01:12:34 PM
OSX embedded is my guess.  No idea about specs which is sorta disappointing, I was hoping to know the size and resolution of the screen, also how much of the embedded 4/8GB is taken up by OS and Apps would be nice to know.  I really look forward to the Arstechnica review on this thing come June.
Screen details where covered in the keynote  and are available on the site. http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html

Shayne

Shayne

I'd still prefer a new iPod as I like my RAZR's size, and much of the time i don't need this type of convergence device.  Its getting to the point where we would want 2 cells on the same account.

Darren Dirt

:D check out "The first 30 years were just the beginning..." (a Mac blogger's silly, over-the-top pre-yesterday predictions)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.