people skills

Started by Darren Dirt, January 08, 2013, 11:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

http://www.salary.com/7-signs-you-have-terrible-people-skills/

anyone else find this kind of list ... unsettling? not saying that I said "I suck" to each and every one of these, but I definitely am nowhere near "head of the class" in this particular curriculum. Glad I'm in IT and not marketing I guess.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Hah, I did pretty well in most of these and what I was lacking (mostly communication) I improved through taking courses at work.

It's amazing how much a short course on communication can change a lot of things.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 08, 2013, 12:00:46 PM
Hah, I did pretty well in most of these and what I was lacking (mostly communication) I improved through taking courses at work.

It's amazing how much a short course on communication can change a lot of things.

I'm definitely not lacking in "knowledge" it just seems that there's varying depths of application of said knowledge, over the years. Certainly better today than I was 10 or even 5 years ago. Maybe working in public sector does eventually impact work ethic ... especially when I've got "2 coffee breaks every day" people all around me to compare myself to favorably (when my standard to be measured against should come from within).

...tbh my initial gut reaction to the above list might also be a result of having no group therapy for the last 2 weeks, returning to it in about 20 minutes so guess I should bring this kind of thing up while I'm there :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Probably a good idea

Just remember with stuff like this though, self-improvement is a two part journey:

1. Identifying skills you don't have but want

2. Acquiring them

Most people don't get to 2 and very often give up, I say go for 2 because it can open up a lot of doors in terms of consulting/management opportunities.

But yeah, the only person you need to be comparing against is yourself. Sometimes by rising the standard on a personal level brings everyone else up. I know I went through this while consulting, a couple of great managers came in and really encouraged people to do better and go further. It was great getting that push from an external entity, what I've come to learn is that entity can be yourself with some success :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 08, 2013, 11:58:08 AM
http://www.salary.com/7-signs-you-have-terrible-people-skills/

anyone else find this kind of list ... unsettling? not saying that I said "I suck" to each and every one of these, but I definitely am nowhere near "head of the class" in this particular curriculum. Glad I'm in IT and not marketing I guess.

That list was pretty damn vague and the what-to-do was basically "do things better" without any useful ideas.  It was also entirely slanted towards climbing the corporate ladder as a manager, something I'm not interested in.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

I have had to work at a number of these skills to get to where I am... I had a lot of trouble with self confidence and some of the communicating ideas aspects...

I find it funny but I can normally keep my cool face to face at work but it sometimes results in venting when I get home... That list contains a lot of stuff that is not something you learn once but learn to manage or cope with..

FYI it gets MUCH worse when you become a manager instead of just reporting to one.