Android no longer connects via USB

Started by Mr. Analog, March 24, 2017, 08:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I have a Galaxy Note II running KitKat (Android 4.4.2) on the Telus network

This used to work (it's how I loaded music onto the drive) but no longer does, I've tried multiple cables and I've also tried #0808# (and I get an invalid MMI error) I even did a system reset today (which is how I discovered this problem in the first place, I wanted to backup my images)

I've tried connecting to Windows 10, 8.1 and 7, it's like the PCs don't even see it as a device despite supplying power via USB (also tried both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports)

Most of the "solutions" I've found for this aren't much help or don't work, so looking for suggestions.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

How many cables have you tried? And what mode is it in after you plug it in? Many devices have the option of charge only, PTP and MTP.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on March 24, 2017, 08:28:27 AM
How many cables have you tried? And what mode is it in after you plug it in? Many devices have the option of charge only, PTP and MTP.

3 cables, 2 that came with Android devices one generic one

I can't find any mode option on 4.4.2, trying #0808# gives me an error (see OP)

Is there another option somewhere?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

When I plug devices in, they tend to pop up a notification asking how you want to connect. If they don't it'll be in settings some place, potentially burried in the developer settings though I hope not :o

a quick google suggests:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/329547-samsung-galaxy-s4-cannot-connect-pc-via-usb-after-upgrade-android-4-3-a-2.html
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Nothing there is anything I haven't tried already, there's no popups on either device and using debug options leads to a connection error message
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Tried booting into safe mode to make sure it wasn't an app causing a problem but saw no change, enabled developer mode and checked USB debugging saw no change

When I try ANY of the "secret" codes I get the same error message "Connection problems or invalid MMI code"
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

You said both Android 4.2.2 (Jellybean) and 4.4.2 (KitKat), since you also said KitKat I'm going to assume you meant 4.4.2.  Are you doing #0808# or *#0808#?  Notice the star at the beginning, I think it matters (but don't have any 4.4.2 devices to test on).  If you are actually on 4.2.2 (Jellybean), then the code is *#7284# (again, notice the star).

The other thing I'm reading is to go into Settings, find Storage, then tap the ... button at the top right and there should be a menu there: http://www.random-host.com/blogs/enable-media-device-mtp-usb-mode-android-44-kitkat-and-50-lollipop.

And sorry that this is happening, I know how frustrating it can be.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

It's 4.4.2 for sure, must have been a typo before

THANK YOU for the * that worked

It's showing my device in AP mode, this gets me places. THANKS!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

...this is getting frustrating

The phone is in MTP+ADB mode (media device)

Tried different modes with no differences at all :-/ none of my windows machines see it as a device
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

So for me to load music I use Google Play sync on my PC and to get Media off my phone (pics and vids I take) I use Google Drive/Dropbox.  If you can't figure out how to get it to sync to your computer with USB, you can use these methods to get around the problem.

Otherwise I got nothing to help you with the USB issue :(
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

The point is it used to work and now it don't

I emailed myself what images I wanted to keep, it's a pain in the ass is what it is
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 24, 2017, 10:40:57 AM
The point is it used to work and now it don't

I emailed myself what images I wanted to keep, it's a pain in the ass is what it is
Yeah I understand that, and wish I had a solution to get it back to what it was.  Sorry I was just giving you easy alternatives built into the Android device which don't require you to ever connect it to your computer, and yet still transfer stuff to and from easily.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

I installed ES File Explorer on my Android 4.1.2 phone.  It allows me to access network shares, so I can copy things to and from the phone and my Drobo and any other network share I've set up.  All over wifi.

Glad just adding the star made the menu appear.  Does your menu look like this?

That's from here: http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/120680/what-is-cp-and-ap-and-what-are-these-options-used-for

Maybe you need to set the "USB" section to AP, and then the "USB Settings" section to MTP?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Maybe this article helps?  https://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/51972-android-usb-issue-since-last-windows-8-1-updates.html

Basically it says to go to device manager and look for the ADB driver (could also be called Acer ADB or something similar) and update the installed drivers for it.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on March 24, 2017, 12:13:27 PM
Maybe this article helps?  https://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/51972-android-usb-issue-since-last-windows-8-1-updates.html

Basically it says to go to device manager and look for the ADB driver (could also be called Acer ADB or something similar) and update the installed drivers for it.

I'll give this a shot
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 24, 2017, 12:40:19 PM
Quote from: Thorin on March 24, 2017, 12:13:27 PM

I'll give this a shot

ADB Interface isn't even listed in my devices list, even after showing hidden
By Grabthar's Hammer