Main Menu

Astroneer

Started by Mr. Analog, March 14, 2019, 08:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So I see Tomasu playing it all the time and I watched a video of Vinny playing it and it looked good so I picked it up yesterday. I thought it would be kinda boring like No Man's Sky but it's actually quite fun to play. The game itself is kinda loose and fun and the materials gathering and crafting system is nice and simple (though the UI takes a lot of getting used to) it's like Minecraft but in spaaaaaaace ... well little planets anyway

It's a cute little game and it seems like it has a lot of depth with a nice tech tree for building progression. And yes, it supports multiplayer right out of the box so you can easily join your friends for wacky space adventures.

Worth picking up for $40
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

but in spaaaaaaace

For some reason I heard that as Rich Evans #TooMuchRLM

(Does it break new vacuum?)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 14, 2019, 02:46:53 PM
(Does it break new vacuum?)

I have a tool which can switch from suck to blow ...MEGAMAID!

Seriously though it's a fun game and worth the price IMO gonna try and play some more tonight if I don't get distracted.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I saw you pop on the other day :)

Almost pingged you to see if you wanted to play together but I figure you'd want to get familiar with it first.

It is however not quite as deep as it first appears, but meh. Its still fun. I imagine they'll be expanding it quite a bit after they work out the kinks and finish their up-comming paid "private server" feature.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Yeah I just played the tutorial and I can see how the game works for the most part, I feel like it's a nice game to chill out with for a bit
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Where's the Dirt??

I started playing a non-tutorial game and... I either got unlucky or I'm stupid because there's no dirt around that I can use to craft stuff like tether bundles. WTF
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 18, 2019, 08:03:38 PM
Where's the Dirt??

I started playing a non-tutorial game and... I either got unlucky or I'm stupid because there's no dirt around that I can use to craft stuff like tether bundles. WTF

Apparently I was looking for "compound", now I need resin.

I made tethers but they don't connect an air supply, which means they are useless. This is a vastly frustrating start, especially after the tutorial where this stuff just worked.

I miss punching trees.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 18, 2019, 08:23:13 PM
Where's the Dirt??

I made tethers but they don't connect an air supply, which means they are useless. This is a vastly frustrating start, especially after the tutorial where this stuff just worked.

I miss punching trees.

So thing 1: You need to call a supply drop right away

Thing 2: You get a few essentials with that supply drop

Thing 3: You have to build stuff on top of platforms

Thing 4: One of the things you get is a oxygen machine, without it the tethers are useless

I also found a big deposit of compound on the surface, still haven't seen any resin yet, found some weird life forms (?) and sucked them up for research points. I have no idea what's good to buy at this point, probably power??
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 18, 2019, 09:15:12 PM
Where's the Dirt??

I miss punching trees.

Thing 4: One of the things you get is a oxygen machine, without it the tethers are useless

I also found a big deposit of compound on the surface, still haven't seen any resin yet, found some weird life forms (?) and sucked them up for research points. I have no idea what's good to buy at this point, probably power??
I can give hints/spoilers.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on March 19, 2019, 09:36:52 AM
Where's the Dirt??

I miss punching trees.

I'm open to ideas for getting started at least. I'm starting to figure things out but overall the experience has been fun. I keep coming back to it [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 19, 2019, 09:39:40 AM
Quote from: Tom on March 19, 2019, 09:36:52 AM
Where's the Dirt??

I miss punching trees.

I'm open to ideas for getting started at least. I'm starting to figure things out but overall the experience has been fun. I keep coming back to it [emoji16]
I'll put the really cheaty tips in a spoiler tag at the end ;D

Resin is generally very common. You can find it on the surface in clumps, just make sure to keep digging as they tend to be like icebergs. If you hover the mouse over the ground with the miner-thing active it'll tell you what resource can be found in that location even if you can't quite see it yet. Resin can also be found in caves. Speaking of caves, ALWAYS look up. Things tend to be more common higher up on the walls or on ceilings.

Research wise... You won't have enough points or the resources yet (batteries require lithium which can't be found on Sylva/the-starter-planet) to bother with batteries or anything quite yet, so focus on solar and wind for now. AND if you explore a lot, you can generally find a TON of free wind generators and solar modules. Oh, and free small batteries.

Apparently even broken solar modules can be used too? I haven't tried it but the wiki mentioned that?

I like putzing around with the tractor and a few trailers and medium storages and drive around to collect stuff. The nice thing is the planet isn't so big that you can't find your way back home in a "reasonable" time.

Might want to make some beacons if you find neat things and place em down to mark them for later.

Packagers can be very handy (you can use them to put them back in their "crate" or shrink things down one size... if its a big research item, it'll be packaged into a single small crate instead of taking a double spot, etc) but I recall it being somewhat expensive to research...

Open AS MANY of the white research/pyramid things as you can and research them. They can be very valuable. It really helps with research.

Cheaty (to me) hints:
Spoiler

• Astronium
    Down near the core you can find "" which is a special resource with (currently) one single purpose. Research. Each one is worth 1000 research. No joke. Once you get a drill mod (and a boost mod if you're extra impatient) you can finish your research in NO TIME at all. I ended up choosing NOT to go that route.
  • Soil centrifuge
    Make some canisters in your personal printer, equip them to your pack or tool and go to town digging up regular gound. Fill them canisters and dump them into the centrifuge. You can then create Compound, Resin, Organic, Clay, Quartz, Graphite, and Ammonium. I tend to only use the centrifuge when I'm impatient and don't feel like going on a resource gathering mission. Initially I did use it to get some graphite because I found it hard to find in general anywhere near my starter base.
  • Trade Platform
    Make a shreder and shred scrap you find. Send off the processed scrap via the trade platform and recieve many of the core mid/late game resource types (except gasses).

Extra cheaty:

Step 1: Create a large rover train place a bunch of large storage units on it, and a bunch of medium storage units on that.

Step 2:
Option 1: Add a big drill to the front of the rover. Put canisters on every single open storage port. Drive around digging through terrain. Place all dirt into the centrifuge and never have to go looking for core resources again. (I found that to reduce my fun... I kinda like the exploration and excitement of finding stuff)
Option 2: Put a large shreder on one of the rovers, fill the rest of the open parts with large, then medium storages, and drive around scrapping everything you can. Then trade off the scrap units.
  I have done this, but with a single large rover. I needed some titanite and I really couldn't make it to get any in a reasonable time frame AT THE TIME.
[close]

I have and will use the cheaty methods I put in the spoiler on occasion. Just depends on what I'm doing and feel like doing. But I tend to prefer not to use them. That said, do whatever is most fun for you! Some people don't like the sometimes boring/tedious resource gathering and thats fine! I happen to like it /most/ of the time (except when I have a very specific thing I want to do, and I need a lot of something, or esp if I just need one or two of something and that something is time consuming to find)

Anyhoo. There you go. Some tips that came to mind. If you have questions let me know. I'm no expert but I feel like I've got things going allright.

*cough*plug*cough* I've been streaming a little: https://www.twitch.tv/technicallyflawed  first few streams were pure tech tests and came out pretty terribad. Last couple are ok. I'm still overly nervous and have a hard time comming up with stuff to talk about esp when noone is watching lol. Not a single person chatted at all. even though a few people seemed to stop by for a bit.

Mr. Analog

Thanks for the tips! I look forward to trying em out.

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Oh, here's a tip that I always forget about...

Keep some compound and/or resin on or near you when exploring so you can make oxygen and power packs (when they are researched at least) cause dang, you forget about the whole needing oxygen thing a lot. at least I do lol. I've died so many times I could have just created one of those little temporary oxygen cells and made it.. ah well.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on March 20, 2019, 07:00:39 AM
Oh, here's a tip that I always forget about...

Keep some compound and/or resin on or near you when exploring so you can make oxygen and power packs (when they are researched at least) cause dang, you forget about the whole needing oxygen thing a lot. at least I do lol. I've died so many times I could have just created one of those little temporary oxygen cells and made it.. ah well.
Haha yeah, I've fallen down some caves and died a couple times, not from the fall but from asphyxiation. I still haven't found any resin!

I found an oxygen canister in some wreckage it was pretty cool for exploring.

By Grabthar's Hammer