Started by Mr. Analog, June 27, 2021, 06:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So what are people doing to stay cool?

Personally I'm cranking up the AC and drinking ice cold Mexican beer

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Thankfully I put in central AC when I replaced the furnace back in Nov. It appears to have been a well-timed investment. However, checking the power companies site the comfort is going to cost me on the next bill for sure.

Thorin

We have an in-window AC running in our kitchen and we were handed down an old, used, portable AC that we've hooked up in our bedroom (it's loud and uses way more energy for the same amount of cooling as the in-window).  Cold drinks and water is certainly helping, I'm also trying (and succeeding) to not go outside in the middle of the day.  And all the curtains are drawn as much as possible.

In previous years the basement was a nice retreat, but we've got a problem with the slab apparently letting water up (probably a crack in the middle of a room) and so a window is being left open to help air a room in the basement out, so that's allowing hot air to come into the basement.

Last night I left the AC units on until 2am to get the house to stay somewhat cool.  It really soaks up the heat and retains it late into the evening.

Quote from: Lazybones on June 27, 2021, 06:23:00 PMThankfully I put in central AC when I replaced the furnace back in Nov. It appears to have been a well-timed investment. However, checking the power companies site the comfort is going to cost me on the next bill for sure.

Yeah, AC makes your electric bill go up, for sure.  But $50 or $100 a month to be comfortable is worth it, in my eyes.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I'm lucky in that my unit is out of direct sunlight and that I have an AC unit working

It's going to be interesting when it hits 40°C in Wednesday though!

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on June 27, 2021, 06:28:32 PMWe have an in-window AC running in our kitchen and we were handed down an old, used, portable AC that we've hooked up in our bedroom (it's loud and uses way more energy for the same amount of cooling as the in-window).

In window units are extremely efficient, portable units with two hoses (in and out) are not too bad, popular single hose units are the LEAST efficient units, but they are convenient.

Quote from: Thorin on June 27, 2021, 06:28:32 PMIn previous years the basement was a nice retreat, but we've got a problem with the slab apparently letting water up (probably a crack in the middle of a room) and so a window is being left open to help air a room in the basement out, so that's allowing hot air to come into the basement.

AC also works as a good de-humidifier, many portable units have a dedicated mode even.

Quote from: Thorin on June 27, 2021, 06:28:32 PMLast night I left the AC units on until 2am to get the house to stay somewhat cool.  It really soaks up the heat and retains it late into the evening.

PEAK outdoor heat here is around 3PM and holds on till close to 6PM before heading back down, the house does hold heat as well but I have been looking at the curve and would have thought Noon or at least early afternoon would have been hotter.

Quote from: Thorin on June 27, 2021, 06:28:32 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on June 27, 2021, 06:23:00 PMThankfully I put in central AC when I replaced the furnace back in Nov. It appears to have been a well-timed investment. However, checking the power companies site the comfort is going to cost me on the next bill for sure.

Yeah, AC makes your electric bill go up, for sure.  But $50 or $100 a month to be comfortable is worth it, in my eyes.

Yes, looks like I will spending my heating savings in cooling and then some this year. Maybe I should have sprung for the more efficient two stage AC.. Didn't expect to need it for more than a week or two a year LOL.

Mr. Analog

Haha yeah. Ya never need it 'till you need it.

I'm just glad I'm not in my old crappy apartment. It would have easily been five degrees hotter in there plus no AC allowed (yikes!)

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Well even my AC is having a hard time keeping up with the extreme temperature differential now. I also just noticed that yesterday's overnight low was 21C! Tonight's forecast low is 25C and tomorrow's high is forecast to be 43C here!

Those high overnight lows are scarier than the daytime highs, nothing is going to really "cool off" over night!

Thorin

Yeah, these temperatures are something else.  Once the heat dome cracks, then you'll have a week of thunderstorms, and then it _should_ get back more normal temperatures.

Hopefully the thunderstorms don't happen right when we're camping at Redstreak (by the town of Radium).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Just realized my air filter was getting close to the 3 month mark and swapped it for a clean one. AC is keeping up again.

I should do the math and setup a run time alarm vs a fix 3 month change cycle (on my thermostat) with how much runtime it is getting.

Melbosa

Have central air here... but cheap one.  Its running all day long trying to keep the house just under 26*C. Good thing really only need it 1-2w a summer.

Like @Lazybones, I just swapped out my furnace filter for one of the easy flow ones just to get through the heat wave.  Will go back to the micro ones once its over.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

My place is a comfy 22°C. I love having AC

Currently drinking ice cold beer [emoji41]

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on June 29, 2021, 06:23:49 PMHave central air here... but cheap one.  Its running all day long trying to keep the house just under 26*C. Good thing really only need it 1-2w a summer.

Like @Lazybones, I just swapped out my furnace filter for one of the easy flow ones just to get through the heat wave.  Will go back to the micro ones once its over.

I also learned that a typical AIR cooled AC unit can only create about an 11C difference between the inside and outside of a home. That can be further helped if the condenser is in the shade and cooler and if your home is well insulated.

With a forecast in the high 30s or hitting 41 like it did here, expect your unit to run nonstop and not keep up as your home builds heat.

Thorin

Huh, I just learned something new about ACs and their cooling power.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on June 29, 2021, 08:16:34 PMHuh, I just learned something new about ACs and their cooling power.

Note, I did say AIR cooled. Heat pump systems that use a ground loop or some other heat sink can do better.