Windows 9 Leak Shows Start Menu

Started by Mr. Analog, July 14, 2014, 04:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on September 30, 2014, 01:58:05 PM
MS already has a J# though! They can just use that!

No, they have the .NET Framework, which J# syntax can be compiled into running under.

I think you're thinking of Visual J++ haha :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 30, 2014, 02:02:24 PM
Quote from: Tom on September 30, 2014, 01:58:05 PM
MS already has a J# though! They can just use that!

No, they have the .NET Framework, which J# syntax can be compiled into running under.

I think you're thinking of Visual J++ haha :)
Nope. I was speaking of language only. I know J# is compiled to the CLR. I said they can tweak the java to compile under J#!!!! Cause Microsoft.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Had heard they where doping all numbers and where going to refer to it as just Windows.

I then suspected it would switch to a subscription model with perpetual upgrade.

Tom

Yeah, I was sorta thinking the same thing. But they may have gotten some pretty significant lash-back.

But more frequent updates with lower cost would interest me greatly. Not going to spend >$150 on a windows update. Heck, I don't want to spend >$50.... But if it was <= $50, I'd probably do it much more often than my current /never/.

Mr. Analog

I doubt they'd go with subscription only, at first it seems like a good idea, keep people on the treadmill forever, but then the reality sinks in when you consider a good chunk of their user base refuses to let go of things like Windows XP making it financially risky for them to innovate a new OS.

That said Adobe has gone in that direction with their flagship product (with muted success.)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Why are they skipping Windows 9 as a name?

And yes, some people haven't let go of XP yet, possibly because they haven't updated their hardware in eight years <nonchalantly whistles and looks away>
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on September 30, 2014, 02:45:28 PM
Yeah, I was sorta thinking the same thing. But they may have gotten some pretty significant lash-back.

But more frequent updates with lower cost would interest me greatly.

So, wait, you actually like how often Firefox pumps out a new version upgrade that requires a restart? I'm getting kinda sick of it (I basically never read the one-time page that summarizes why it's better this time; seems 2-3 times per month a new update)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on September 30, 2014, 03:54:31 PM
Quote from: Tom on September 30, 2014, 02:45:28 PM

But more frequent updates with lower cost would interest me greatly.

So, wait, you actually like how often Firefox pumps out a new version upgrade that requires a restart? I'm getting kinda sick of it (I basically never read the one-time page that summarizes why it's better this time; seems 2-3 times per month a new update)
I said more often, not every week. :P

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on September 30, 2014, 02:56:14 PM
Why are they skipping Windows 9 as a name?

Because it would be "WINDOWS NEIN" in certain countries, and customers subliminally saying no to you when you even mention your product name when trying to sell it to them = bad business model. ;)

Mr. Analog

In Japan the word for the number 9 sounds kind of like... suffering so... hmm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_superstitions#Numbers
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

In german it also sounds like the word for no.

Thorin

No, in that language it would be Windows Neun (pronounced roughly "Noin").

I actually do want to know the real reason they're skipping a version number...  I hope it's not because of some stupid superstition.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Iiiiiiiit's Marketing

Windows 7 aka Windows 6.1

Your puny Logic has no place in Marketing
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on September 30, 2014, 04:14:07 PM
In german it also sounds like the word for no. (NEIN)

That's what my joke was referring to -- I even spelled it out (literally!)