Nice article about What To Do If Your Computer Locks Up

Started by Thorin, April 09, 2010, 11:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Great, so they've bought a license of ESET Smart Security for each computer at the office, and about half of the computers now have it installed (the rest of the people just don't want to, I guess?).

So now one of 'em keeps getting popups.  I narrowed it down to one or more of the following three Browser Helper Objects:

voguecash
  adshothlpr
  moigh

So I disabled them and told her to run a virus scan.  Of course, BHOs don't show up in virus scans.  But I don't want to be Tech Support, so I'm just giving a quick instruction and then getting the hell back to my desk.

Anyway.  Maybe they should force everyone to run under non-privileged accounts so that no new software could be installed.  But that's not for me to decide, otherwise they'll consider me responsible when something else goes wrong.

Sitting at the desk of the developer who used to do all the in-house tech support apparently means I'm expected to do in-house tech support.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Suggest they run a malware or spyware scanner. Like Spybot or something similar.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

I've been telling people Trojan Remover and Malware Bytes Anti-Malware.  Both of those have worked well for me recently.

My post was more just whining about their lack of desire to employ or contract an actual sysadmin/netadmin to do this kind of work.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on May 31, 2010, 12:28:42 PM
I've been telling people Trojan Remover and Malware Bytes Anti-Malware.  Both of those have worked well for me recently.

My post was more just whining about their lack of desire to employ or contract an actual sysadmin/netadmin to do this kind of work.
Ah. Yeah that would be whine worthy.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!