Windows Domain Offline login time....

Started by Lazybones, November 26, 2010, 08:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

I have a problem that has been annoying me since XP and and is still present in Windows 7... if I log into my domain enabled laptop while off the network it takes an extra 30-40 seconds to log in.. I have tried a variaty of registry and GPO tweaks but have not been able to fix this and it is starting to drive me crazy...

Under XP a similar issue could be worked around by disabling WiFi and this seemed to speed up login but under Vista and Windows 7 I can't find a solution.

None domain machine local accounts do not have this delay.

Mr. Analog

Man, I've had this before.

Have you tried playing with this setting (XP Pro):

Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->Logon, change "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon"

I couldn't remember the location exactly so I Googled it and got to here:
http://www.tweakxp.com/article37007.aspx

I guess the other thing you might want to try is changing the authentication timeout in your network settings or just create a non-domain user that you can use in "disconnected" mode.

Just some ideas...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Ya, as I said I have tired several GPO and registry settings... The only thing that works is using a local account...

If I hibernate it is fine... it only seems to be a problem when logging in... If the computer is just locked it doesn't do it.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I swear I google this problem every two months in the hope someone has a solution.

Tom

I could swear I heard about a solution to this, but for the life of me I can't remember where, or what it was :(
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on November 27, 2010, 12:41:03 PM
I could swear I heard about a solution to this, but for the life of me I can't remember where, or what it was :(

I could work around it in XP, and there is a strange solid background bug in win 7 that comes up in some searches but i am not using a solid background... As well there are several group polices around time outs but I still haven't found one that works specificity on windows 7...