Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 share lots of code, NT kernel

Started by Lazybones, June 20, 2012, 11:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Tom

I dunno, you know that old saying, jack of all trades, master of none. Look at how Windows 8 on the desktop will be. Do you really want to use your desktop as if it were a tablet? MS thinks you do.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Who can say how this will pan out, honestly I see a lot of (we'll call them casual users) who are only interested in an appliance. I know for a fact my parents hardly scratch the power they have with their desktops, I suspect there are a lot of other users out there too that would be perfectly happy with only a device like an iPad and a net connection.

Personally I feel that delivering a gimped cross-platform OS to the desktop with metaphors designed for touch-based interface has DANGER written all over it, but we'll see I guess.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yeah, it can work, for some people. But I imagine a lot of businesses and power users won't switch.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on June 20, 2012, 01:47:54 PM
Yeah, it can work, for some people. But I imagine a lot of businesses and power users won't switch.

Exactly my point, Microsoft seems to be going after a new market at the expense of their existing userbase.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

If the desktop has a multi-touch screen attached to it, it might work.  I don't see Metro as particularly mouse-oriented, but "casual" users will probably be okay with one app running at a time.

I'm trying to imagine how Metro would let me have both the Minecraft window and the JourneyMap window open side-by-side, though.  Or Visual Studio and the MSDN site.  Or any variety of linked programs in two separate windows.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

If you mean multi-monitor support apparently Windows 8 does a better job than 7
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on June 20, 2012, 02:09:07 PM
If the desktop has a multi-touch screen attached to it, it might work.  I don't see Metro as particularly mouse-oriented, but "casual" users will probably be okay with one app running at a time.

I'm trying to imagine how Metro would let me have both the Minecraft window and the JourneyMap window open side-by-side, though.  Or Visual Studio and the MSDN site.  Or any variety of linked programs in two separate windows.
All I've heard is it /doesn't/ support that. All metro apps are full screen.

Thorin

I meant single monitor.  Who carries a second monitor with their laptop these days?  They'll hopefully support multiple windows in "classic" mode, whatever that was called.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

relax, 2 apps in one screen is a "snap" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/9113630/Microsoft-Windows-8-Consumer-Preview-review.html

/angrysarcasm

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Please, please, please play with the preview yourself before really laying judgement.  I've had a lot of exposure from TechEd 2012 and have since installed it on a laptop without TouchScreenOnThePad support, and find it actually works rather well.  It has flaws, like the metro apps only working on one monitor at the moment, but I am sure they will be fixed or worked out before RTM.  Remember this is before RC, it just a fancy named Beta product.

It really has some great features for business bodies and home consumers.  I mean everyone knows how to use an App Store these days, which makes development deployment through Corporate Stores way way way way more adoptable than Advertised Programs interfaces of the current products on the market.  This was a huge sell for me.  And your Windows Desktop on a Travel at will USB key, what a play from the Linux world brought to the Windows space.

But it is also the "test" OS release like every second Microsoft Release.  IT WON'T BE POLISHED as nicely as "Windows 9" but it will bring some nice features on the way.  Windows 7 is a Polished version of Vista after all.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 20, 2012, 10:20:49 PM

relax, 2 apps in one screen is a "snap" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/9113630/Microsoft-Windows-8-Consumer-Preview-review.html

/angrysarcasm

Sorry, I must be missing it.  I read that entire article and found no mention of two panes side by side.  Can you point out where the article says how to do that?  Or that it's not possible?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Site by side metro apps, the examples here are smaller RSS or Twiter apps but it works with all metro apps from some other things I have seen

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/windows-8-side-by-side-app-viewing-is-a-game-changer/4475

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on June 20, 2012, 10:27:00 PM
Please, please, please play with the preview yourself before really laying judgement.  I've had a lot of exposure from TechEd 2012 and have since installed it on a laptop without TouchScreenOnThePad support, and find it actually works rather well.

I'm glad it's pretty and smooth and consistent amongst platform.

But I'm the opposite of glad that this is what will be pushed to OFFICE environments, which is the longterm plan. Yesterday I had about 12 windows open, Eclipse, a couple of Notepads and web browsers, a VMware window, Outlook and Office Communicator and Lotus Notes, and countless times I needed at least 3 visible at one time... precisely and quickly clicking all over the place and moving stuff around with the mouse (windows and contents) like a hyper mad man = what a productive office employee is used to when "in the zone". The new W8 "tile" metaphor < the "desktop/windows" metaphor AINEC.

Quote from: Thorin on June 21, 2012, 12:53:44 AM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 20, 2012, 10:20:49 PM

/angrysarcasm

Sorry, I must be missing it.  I read that entire article and found no mention of two panes side by side.  Can you point out where the article says how to do that?  Or that it's not possible?

Sorry, to be clear at the top of the article there is a very good video from the Windows 8 folks, I watched it and was surprised to find myself impressed by it at first (I actually recommend it, yes, I am capable of moving past my prejudices ;) ) I liked the way the various functions are available on the sides of the screen, etc. and thought they came up with some neat new stuff, such as the way you can flip through running tasks"apps" is pretty smart and *gasp* intuitive.

But when about halfway through they FINALLY discuss having multiple things visible at once, and some "example scenarios", it was very clear that this would be a deal-breaker for anyone beyond a casual user... having a "main" window with a "snapped" secondary window (sure you can choose which side, and resize the divider, whoopiedeedoo) is imo just not enough for someone who is CREATING in any capacity, anything beyond just viewing/reading and Windows 8 will be an obstacle to productivity, the opposite of what a tool is supposed to be (i.e. an invisible extension of the mortal flesh).

Up until W8 the "windows" metaphor worked because it was like you had a working space (just like in RL) where you could zoom in and out of things, within limiting frames/contexts ("windows") and it harmonized with how our brains work, where we zoom in on something mentally as we focus on the details of a task, but also often need to zoom out and have multiple things side by side for context and comparing/contrasting and of course moving information or "stuff" around between the different contexts (e.g. drag and drop, cut and paste). But now it is a new interface that, though nice and fast and "fun", is not in line with the human users, instead it is like a decision maker said "screw 50 years of analysis and research about usability and human behaviour, we need to make PCs and laptops more like smart phones and tablets/pads because otherwise we're going out of business within 5 years!" and went with the interface currently in vogue, without realizing the reason why it is popular -- because it is a smart and efficient way of using a limited tool/environment that is VERY different from that of a PC/laptop.

imho obv.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Wow sounds a lot like the XP to Windows 7 rant you had a while ago...  Sorry the change is going to cause you so much grief :(
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!