DNSChanger virus?

Started by Darren Dirt, July 06, 2012, 10:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Yep, been talked about for a while now on /.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 06, 2012, 10:37:49 PM
Yep, been talked about for a while now on /.

Y U NO POST INFO HERE?

Mr. Analog

Because it's everywhere else?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

What I meant is, surprising that this tech/net story covered by mainstream media such as CBC came into the Darren brain not via the RW forum, but via my son calling me in a half-panic about how "the laptop at home isn't letting him visit internet therefore maybe it's got this DNS virus thingie and the FBI maybe cut it off from the web" basically. Since the "deadline" is July 9th I figured it's just the wireless router was being grumpy, I got him to plug the cablemodem's output cable directly into the laptop instead of the router and within 10 minutes he was on Google, likely relieved he could go visit the "dns-ok.ca" website now (I gave him the IP address initially, before I read the story in detail to know the "deadline" is a couple of days into the future).

So... yeah, what am I paying you technophiles for if you can't even bother to stir up fear and panic in me with stuff like this? I felt worried when I read about it on the INTERNET, I was like "did I miss something on RW about this? Does that mean it's nothing, or does that means it's horribly SOMETHING but a really recent threat?" then I had to do actual work on my own, reading stuff.  ::)

;)

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yeah. the story has been absolutely everywhere. For a while now. every few months it pops up again with people trying to delay the shutdown.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

So what was the actual cause of his lack of connection?

Delaying the shutdown will just allow the lazies to continue on with an infected machine.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Seriously DNS changer was on almost every tech news feed on and off for moths now.

I generally don't comment on virus / malware unless I personally encounter it and I haven't with DNS changer.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on July 07, 2012, 12:45:42 AM
So what was the actual cause of his lack of connection?

Quote from: Darren Dirt on July 06, 2012, 11:01:13 PM
I figured it's just the wireless router was being grumpy, I got him to plug the cablemodem's output cable directly into the laptop instead of the router and within 10 minutes he was on Google

Thorin

Yeah, but...  So he's taken over your internet connection?  Or did you plug the cable modem back into the router afterwards?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

He said later he plugged back in and was working fine thru the wifi router as well, guess it just needed to be power cycled or something. Hardware issue/glitch, no infection, nothing to see there...