Windows Surface Pro 128GB

Started by Melbosa, February 25, 2013, 03:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

I understand that.  That's what I got :), just my mobile system is a bit more powerful than the average tablet.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Must be budget time again haha ;) (j/k)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

See, I like anything that anyone else will buy for me.

Although most people will see the Surface Pro as a tablet first, and therefore expect the 7 to 12 hour battery life of a tablet (12 hours if the keyboard has a built-in battery).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on February 26, 2013, 10:13:06 AM

Although most people will see the Surface Pro as a tablet first, and therefore expect the 7 to 12 hour battery life of a tablet (12 hours if the keyboard has a built-in battery).
Thats the fun thing, my laptop can get upwards of 10 hours. So technically they could have made the surface pro last that long, since it has weaker hardware, they wouldn't need the same size battery this monster has.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Business wise the surface should have the distinct advantage of running legacy enterprise apps and Office without the limitations of most tablet options.

It is for sure a small laptop replacement more than anything...

I figure it will be a very good option if they can improve the battery life a bit.

Melbosa

Well with normal to almost heavy use (although not constant) I've gotten 8h without needing a recharge (doing the software installs and setup).  I have not used it as a desktop replacement yet though... which I suspect is where the 4-4.5h comes from in most reviews.

Mr. Analog

Larger hard drive would probably help as well, that will probably materialize in later versions though I guess.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Yeah probably... although I with the USB 3.0 Drive you could expand space that way.  But I think 128GB is a lot for a business tool.  Not so much if you are using it for a Desktop replacement though.

Mr. Analog

You get something like 85 GB free space out of the box, the rest is pre-installed software / OS

You can get SD cards as well to boost it, as well as external drives.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on February 26, 2013, 10:16:08 AM
Quote from: Thorin on February 26, 2013, 10:13:06 AM

Thats the fun thing, my laptop can get upwards of 10 hours. So technically they could have made the surface pro last that long, since it has weaker hardware, they wouldn't need the same size battery this monster has.

10 hours?  Doing what, though?  Can you play Minecraft for 10 hours straight on it before the battery runs out?  Or watch 10 hours of movies?  How about if you have a development environment and a database server running on it?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 26, 2013, 10:47:14 AM
You get something like 85 GB free space out of the box, the rest is pre-installed software / OS

You can get SD cards as well to boost it, as well as external drives.

Yeah I saw that quote to in reviews... but I can tell you from real world experience you get 100GB of 128GB out of the box (although it will only show 110GB in Windows as some is reserved for the restore files - factory reset, video ram, and cache - at least so I am told).  And it comes preloaded with software on it.  So I'm not sure where those reviews were getting the 85GB/128GB.

Lazybones

I believe the 85 GB free was for surface RT (not pro) which ships with a special edition of Office installed.

Mr. Analog

...Microsoft?

Surface Windows 8 Pro:
The 64 GB version has approximately 29 GB free hard disk space.
The 128 GB version has approximately 89 GB free hard disk space.

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-CA/support/storage-files-and-folders/surface-disk-space-FAQ
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

That is too funny.  Mine had 100GB listed free.  Should have taken a screenshot before I started my installs.

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on February 26, 2013, 11:30:15 AM
I believe the 85 GB free was for surface RT (not pro) which ships with a special edition of Office installed.

Window RT has only 32GB and 64GB models today.