Wizards Article: No Time to Play?

Started by Thorin, August 30, 2007, 02:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Okay, after reading "If theres anything good (well, reasonably interesting at least) on TV tonight, I should have it done." as a response to a request for character sheets, I felt the urge to post this Wizards article:

Don't Have Time To Play?  Yes You Do!

Basically, it says that if you really want to play the game, make it a higher priority.  For instance, higher priority than watching TV.  I'm willing to run the game so that we can all have fun, but I need each of you to make a commitment to it as well.  Having to chase people down for character sheets is not one of my favoured activities.  Imagine if I'm never ready as a GM because I watch TV rather than spending time making up adventures for you to play through?

<huff> <huff> <huff>

Okay, rant over.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

QuoteBasically, it says that if you really want to play the game, make it a higher priority.
What I meant to say is that I like to do that sort of thing while watching TV. Have some background noise and something to focus on when I can't focus on the d20 stuff, without having to switch thought processes (like to coding and back...)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on August 30, 2007, 03:31:47 PM
QuoteBasically, it says that if you really want to play the game, make it a higher priority.
What I meant to say is that I like to do that sort of thing while watching TV. Have some background noise and something to focus on when I can't focus on the d20 stuff, without having to switch thought processes (like to coding and back...)

Put some classical music on, it does the trick for me!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 30, 2007, 04:11:57 PM

Doesn't really do it for me right now. Sometimes maybe. but right now I see "How its Made" is on, so I'll sit down and work on it some more now :D

Thorin

If all you're looking for is background noise, then it shouldn't matter whether the show's any good.  Then again, if you're only looking for background noise you'll probably get things done more quickly if you turn off the blinken boxen and just put on some music.

Sounds to me more like you're saying that you can't focus your attention on d20 stuff for more than a few minutes in a row.  Is that really true?  Do you not spend hours in a row posting on forums/coding/whatever? (and don't tell me the specifics of "whatever" :P )

I'm willing to bet that if you sit in a quiet room with some notepaper, a pencil, and the book and no other distractions, you'd probably get all this done *more* quickly rather than *less*.  Although it would require some willpower not to get up and go to the TV or the computer - just stay sitting and focus on the task at hand until you're done.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on August 30, 2007, 04:20:37 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 30, 2007, 04:11:57 PM

Doesn't really do it for me right now. Sometimes maybe. but right now I see "How its Made" is on, so I'll sit down and work on it some more now :D

J'accuse! <-Dr. Zoidberg

So you're not using it as "background noise" as you claim!

I'm so doing my sheet tonight, just to make you last!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

QuoteSo you're not using it as "background noise" as you claim!
Wha? I didn't say it was ONLY background noise :P

Also, I don't feel like Classical atm. I'm all clascicaled out right now.

Quote from: TomHave some background noise and something to focus on when I can't focus on the d20 stuff, without having to switch thought processes

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on August 30, 2007, 04:25:38 PM

Quote from: TomHave some background noise and something to focus on when I can't focus on the d20 stuff, without having to switch thought processes

Pfft, whatever, I'll have my sheet done tonight... SLACKER.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 30, 2007, 04:27:04 PM
Quote from: Tom on August 30, 2007, 04:25:38 PM

Pfft, whatever, I'll have my sheet done tonight... SLACKER.
Muahaha. I just love it when a plan comes together ;)