Latest Plex freezing?

Started by Mr. Analog, February 09, 2018, 04:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Hey guys, I've got the latest Plex (6.13.3.3443 client, 3.27.1 server) and I've started seeing playback problems. The audio is fine but the video freezes, at first I thought it was a buffering problem but I can see the progress bar has pre-loaded a good few minutes at least.

Anybody else having issues like this?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

That isn?t a valid server version. That is probably the web client version. Make sure you are on the server tab.

As for the client, what platform?

Edit: as far as playback stability I found it is often a client issue and platform specific. I have moved to Apple TV 4K devices. Instead of my Visio smart TV apps.

Mr. Analog

Here it is: Version 1.10.1.4602

It works just fine with the web client on my PC, the mobile version though? Not so good.

The content I'm watching is SD, I'm pretty sure it's not buffering. Never had this problem until the update.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I haven't had any video stuttering, had a bit of audio stuttering and that went away when I pulled the plug on the roku to reboot it.

The latest Plex Server version available on the beta channel is 1.11.1.4768.  You can switch update channels on the Settings -> Server -> General screen.  Maybe just try updating to that, if you have Plex Pass subscription?

As Lazy says, it's probably a client issue, are you using Plex for Android on your mobile viewing experience?  There might be an update there as well - I updated on my phone about three days ago.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Mobile streaming quality can differer a lot depending on if you are on WiFi or using 3G/LTE. If your server is that current and so is your client I believe the android client supports auto quality mode now, you might want to give that a try.

There are substantial differences in the reliability and capability of various plex clients. 

The Android client however should be very current and good so I suspect wireless connectivity issues.

I regularly use the web,Windows 10, iOS and Apple TV clients.

FYI they also released a stripped down music client called PlexAmp you may want to check out.

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on February 09, 2018, 05:42:53 PM
FYI they also released a stripped down music client called PlexAmp you may want to check out.

Oh really?  I'm gonna go have a look at that :)

Plex for Android was updated today.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on February 09, 2018, 05:45:09 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on February 09, 2018, 05:42:53 PM

Oh really?  I'm gonna go have a look at that :)

Plex for Android was updated today.

It still needs work but is a good idea in general. They are taking feedback on it and it is a labs/beta product currently.

Mr. Analog

I mean, my first thought was wireless speed but I was watching a movie in 1080p just fine before the last update.

I may uninstall / reinstall, maybe something borked with the latest update.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Streaming through my XBone Client from my Windows 2012 R2 Plex Server with the Latest Plex Pass build has been pretty solid.  I actually kinda like the new Netflix like function the XBone App as gotten recently.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I only see the problem on my Galaxy Tab S2, maybe it's an Android thing
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Some digging indicates that stuttering every 5-10 min is a recent bug specific to Android based releases.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on February 09, 2018, 11:56:39 PM
Some digging indicates that stuttering every 5-10 min is a recent bug specific to Android based releases.

Ahh! Thank you
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

https://forums.plex.tv/categories/android-mobile

There are a few threads on 6.13.X issues..

Some claim it is fixed others have other issues.

Mr. Analog

A new version came down yesterday, seems better (for me at least) still has a weird AV lag when resuming playback. Better than before tho
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

You mileage may very depending on your server and client configuration. 

I have been incrementally replacing parts of my setup towards simplicity and stability for a long time now.

While it isn?t the same as local streaming you can try remote streaming from my server if you want to do some testing. I have plex pass and keep the server very up to date.