EB Games X360 Shortage

Started by Melbosa, November 01, 2005, 03:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Source: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/663/663438p1.html

QuoteNovember 01, 2005 - EB Games is facing severe shortages of Xbox 360 stock according to one employee who wrote in. The employee, who shall of course remain nameless, stated that his Arizona store has had over 90 pre-orders, 32 of which were guaranteed to be fulfilled, until today when the EBG head office revealed that the store would receive just 16 units on November 22nd, leaving another 16 "guaranteed" pre-orderers bitterly disappointed, and another 60-odd sod out of luck for who knows how long.

While one may imagine this to be an isolated incident, our intrepid reader-stroke-EB employee contacted other stores in the local area to discover whether this unfortunate business was happening elsewhere too, and yes, it is. So, if you have a pre-order, "guaranteed" or otherwise, I suggest you contact your local EB Games to discover whether you'll be diddling with the Xbox 360 and its diminishing launch-day line-up on November 22nd, or indeed, any time soon.

Many thanks to the source of this story - we salute you!

-- Andrew Burnes
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Shayne

I'm gonna swing by EB Clairview tonight and see whats up.  Im a little worried as im #13, and they were only going to take 25 pre-orders.  *oh oh*

Shayne

Well, looks like this is a case of a couple stores being hit.  I went to Clairview lastnight, they originally were told 30, but now their first shipment will be 80; almost 3 times the initial.

Cova

Rumor going around is that MS wants there to be a shortage to create press/hype about how well it's selling.  Hearing everything from retailers signing agreements to sell-out on the first day, being told to have large "Sold-Out" signs ready ahead of time to put up, etc.  Also hearing that MS doesn't plan to do the big initial-day sales (all their manufacturing capability from weeks ago unti the 22nd in one day basically), but instead wants a slow but steady capacity flowing to retailers - so initial stock should be low, but there should be more following soon after instead of complete unavailablity for months.

Mr. Analog

I dunno, the launch titles seem weak and shortages could piss people off. I hate to say it but this reminds me of the abyssmal 3DO launch.

Here's hoping Microsoft screws themselves during the pre-Christmas launch madness!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

hehe I don't think M$ is that stupid to kill their XMas sales.  They have a plan.  They have a year head start on Sony.  I think they have enough to get them started.  I would be more worried for Sony actually.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Shayne

Not to mention Microsoft has Live, Sony does not.

I agree with the launch being filled with crap, though the only huge complaint i have is that Oblivion is delayed till April.

Ive still got Madden 2006 & PGR3 pre-ordered and payed for.  Though i hear rumors that PGR3 is gonna slip back a week.  If thats the case, im gonna cry.

Shayne

A quick not, wile getting 80 on Nov 22, they have been told that they will have access to 500 units before christmas.

Mr. Analog

See, Sony has been @%&#ing over users for years and years but they keep coming back, Microsoft is trying to build up trust.

Matsu@%&#a wasn't a small company either yet they got their asses handed to them in a year with no other hardware to compete with (unles syou count the NES2 or the Game Gear), launched in October '93 3DO had no titles at launch and was $700, a year later they got decimated by the launch of the Sony Playstation (which launched with the much anticipated Final Fantasy 7).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

At least you'll be able to play your old games on it, Shayne.

Shayne

Well, i have Nov 19 to Nov 27 off work (i had to take my days outside of december as Support is pretty skeleton like through their), so im sure i will be spilling my guts.

Ive already got Rogers on the hook for 6 or 7 games.  Renting free rox.

Mr. Analog

Y'mean online play?

Or were you referring the the refined online environment that Live embraces?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

MrA, let me refer you to a EXCELLENT article from the fine techinical minds of Ars Technica.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/revolution.ars

Nice quotes such as:

QuoteAs for Sony, I'll just ask a simple question: who here has ever used a Sony device that connected to a PC? If you have, then you know where I'm going with this. The PC software side of Sony's "connected" devices is just awful. The company is obsessed with digital piracy, and the PC interfaces for their digital devices are invariably buggy, intrusive, slow, and almost seem to be designed to make the user just give up and buy Sony physical media.

Regarding the network angle, Sony has nothing like Passport or Windows Media Center, but even if they do manage to make the PS3 interact somehow with the PC then what are the odds of the experience not being bad? Actually, I'll tell you the odds: they're zero. That's because the PS3 isn't made to be connected to PCs, which are nasty little piracy-enabling devices that Sony's media arm doesn't trust with its precious music and movie content. Better to keep that stuff off the PC entirely and have it move in its own separate Sony ecosystem.

To this end, the Playstation 3 is made to connect with two things:

Other PS3s and/or various Cell-based and Sony-blessed (if not Sony-produced) entertainment devices such as DVD players, TVs, etc.

Sony's "Playstation World" online service.

Sony therefore envisions an alternate, proprietary universe of its own making, consisting solely of devices that are DRMed to the gills and that connect in a trusted and secure manner to each other and to Sony's online entertainment hub. Sony will use the PlayStation 3 to invite you and your credit card into that alternate, sealed-off universe and to live, play, and consume content, all via the security of Cell + HDMI + Blu-ray + Sony only knows what else.

The DRM fiasco of the week is pretty good evidence of that.

I enjoy my cheat free, statistcs enabled, game updatable, affordable enviroment.  Ive spent thosands of hours on the Xbox playing on Live.  I can only see myself getting MORE hooked as the 360 appears to be adding even more functionality to an already fantastic service.

In the end, i'll own a PS3, dont get my wrong.  They both are from what has been show, very capable machines.  Untill i see what the PS3 has done for online stuff, i'll hold judgement, ive played MC3 and SOCOM on the PS2 multiplayer thing, and while its multiplayer, its like multiplayer lite.

Thorin

Quote from: "Shayne"Well, i have Nov 19 to Nov 27 off work (i had to take my days outside of december as Support is pretty skeleton like through their)

Sorry to hear that, although I'm not surprised.  Hopefully next year you'll be able to take vacation when you want rather than when they're willing to give it to you.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Shayne"Well, i have Nov 19 to Nov 27 off work (i had to take my days outside of december as Support is pretty skeleton like through their), so im sure i will be spilling my guts.

Ive already got Rogers on the hook for 6 or 7 games.  Renting free rox.
Ouch that sux :(

On one hand more time for gaming and on the other hand you can show up with booze when everyone else isn't there at work ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer