0 (0%)
Screw Consoles, PC is the way to go!
1 (7.1%)
None!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: November 25, 2006, 01:19:33 PM

Shayne

Darren, the PS3 will be backwards compatible to the PS1.

Thorin

From what I remember about Nintendo, NES, SNES, and N64 cartridges were all different sizes, then GameCube switched to the 8cm disc.

From what I remember about Sony, PS and PS2 both 12cm discs, and PS2 could play PS games.  And isn't there talk about PS3 playing PS2 games, or was that just unsubstantiated hype?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Nope that is true Thorin.  PS3 is backwards compatible all the way to PS1 including PS2.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Adams

PS3 reminds me of Windows 95 Support or 8-Bit support in Windows XP.
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."

Thorin

Here's a reason I picked the Wii: Bob Ross' The Joy of Painting for Wii.  Its possible because of the Wii Remote (it's also coming out for the DS, thanks to the DS stylus input).  Realistic paintbrush movements?  Only possible on the Wii.

Okay, I know most people on here won't run out and buy this game, but I know my kids love to sit and draw pictures on paper as well as spend hours painting pictures on the computer using MS Paint...  Plus, there are supposed to be mini-games tucked in that I'm sure they'll enjoy.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Adams

I think that would be fun... but how does one print the accomplishments out? and frame it... oh hell I am just gonna get a paint pallet and start painting. On second thought the Wii is cleaner no bushes to clean. As long as it has pre-made items then it should be good. Painting a whole tree would be pain staking.
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."

Lazybones

Well the Wii has built in WiFi and an online service.. It is possible they could offer basic file output support, email you your creations, or have an online poster printing service.. or it could just be fun like mario paint was.

Shayne

Consider that you have a 50" TV, smaller movements are magnified on the larger TV.  Sounds frustrating and isn't a box of crayons and a colouring book cheaper?

Shayne

Oh, and it cant get an idea of how hard you are pushing

Shayne

However the hands-on previews of CoD3 seem very good for the Wii.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on November 03, 2006, 02:24:23 PM
Consider that you have a 50" TV, smaller movements are magnified on the larger TV.  Sounds frustrating and isn't a box of crayons and a colouring book cheaper?

The Wii (and the game itself, I'm sure) come with sensitivity settings.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Shayne on November 03, 2006, 02:24:23 PM
isn't a box of crayons and a colouring book cheaper?

One of each, yes.  We've got over a dozen colouring books and boxes of crayons, markers, felts, and pencils.  Also, every picture the kids draw they want hung up on the wall - if you can't print it, then they can't ask to hang it up (although they might just make a paper copy of it and want *that* hung on the wall).  The point to the game, though, is not just to make some pictures, but to actually learn something about painting while making pretty pictures, just like Bob Ross's show on public TV back in the 80s and 90s.

Still, it's a really neat idea, with real outside-the-box thinking.  I hope Nintendo encourages more of this kind of thinking, because we can get some really interesting games based on the ability of the controller to sense movements in three dimensions.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on November 03, 2006, 02:10:41 PM
Bob Ross' The Joy of Painting for Wii.  Its possible because of the Wii Remote (it's also coming out for the DS, thanks to the DS stylus input).  Realistic paintbrush movements?  Only possible on the Wii.

Anyone else besides me find their popculture-filled brain suddenly playing out that Family Guy cutaway scene? ("We'll just paint this little bush in the corner... it's our little secret. AND IF YOU TELL ANYONE ABOUT IT, I WILL CUT YOU.") :D

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Quote from: Shayne on October 26, 2006, 02:48:54 PM
Well, I voted PS3 as I will have one in a few weeks

I know you plan on selling one or two on eBay; does this announcement concern you?

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200610241757352.html

Quote from: eBay Listing Policy Clarification, October 25th
Sony PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii Pre-Sales. These highly-anticipated video game consoles will be in extremely short supply during their initial launch. During the launch of the similarly-released Microsoft Xbox 360, we saw a high number of well-intentioned sellers unable to meet their pre-sale obligations to buyers due to restricted supply, as well as an increase in fraudulent listings for these items. To prevent similar problems with these latest releases, the following restrictions have been placed on pre-sales for the PS3 and the Wii:

* Only one of each console can be listed per eBay account prior to the launch of the console (PS3 is expected to be available on 11/17/06, Wii on 11/19/06).
    * The seller must only accept payment through PayPal, and have at least 50 feedback with a 98% or greater positive rating so that they qualify for PayPal Buyer Protection.
    * The pre-sale item must be listed in the 3, 5, 7 or 10-day formats, and cannot use Buy It Now.
    * The listing must include a photo of your pre-order receipt in the description.

No "Buy It Now", and you have to take payment through PayPal so the charges can be reversed, and you have to have a pretty good rating to begin with so someone like me (with no rating yet) is not allowed to list at all.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Shayne