looking to buy an XBOX 360? (Nov 17, PS3 release date is the day to do it)

Started by TheDruid, November 16, 2006, 10:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

A quick search confirms "9320 items found for PS3 in Systems" some of the listings are ridiculous!

Some are listed as high as $10,000

This one ended (at over 32 bids) at $5,100.00!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Their are a few that are really odd.  You got some that end in a day at $3000, others that end in an hour at $1400.

Ustauk

For those of you who got an Xbox 360 from Futureshop in the last month (I'm not sure if that's any of you), a coworker of mine had his wife bring back his receipt from three weeks ago for the orignal GRAW bundle, and they gave her $50 and copies of Gears of War and Ridge Racer based on their price protection policy.  Just a heads up.

Lazybones

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on November 19, 2006, 01:04:28 AM
Quote from: Shayne on November 18, 2006, 11:21:22 PM
That is exactly what I am worried about

Forgot to set a reserve for the cost?

If/when the eBay page disappears, the following is the little tidbit of info. that explains the ^ above ...

Winning bid: US $9.99 

:yikes: :clap:

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

There's only one bid and the auction says the seller ended the auction early.  Ten-to-one odds that the first bidder called the seller and offered thousands of dollars if he sold immediately outside of eBay.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

TheDruid

Quote from: Thorin on November 20, 2006, 10:31:51 AM
There's only one bid and the auction says the seller ended the auction early.  Ten-to-one odds that the first bidder called the seller and offered thousands of dollars if he sold immediately outside of eBay.

Thats odd because there was a "buy it now" option available, if that was truly the case you'd think the guy would just use the buy it now option? I couldnt imagine anyone calling up and offering a price higher then the "buy it now" asking.
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Shayne

Depending on how greedy I choose to be, I might have buyers for all of mine locally.  Granted the prices are not the $2000 you see on the net, but $1500ish is still double purchase price.

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on November 20, 2006, 01:13:35 PM
Depending on how greedy I choose to be, I might have buyers for all of mine locally.  Granted the prices are not the $2000 you see on the net, but $1500ish is still double purchase price.

My theory would be that the best time would be to end an auction the day before the shipping time it would take for xmas or just before the next shipment. Posting among all of the ones already on eBay probably will not get it noticed.

I think $1500 is about the norm, for now. Selling them local might be worth avoiding the commission and shipping hassles of eBay.

Shayne

I sorta feel like a dick after talking to a couple people who actually waited out in the cold and struck out.

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on November 20, 2006, 01:34:20 PM
I sorta feel like a dick after talking to a couple people who actually waited out in the cold and struck out.

Never said you had to sell them for profit. If you can find a friend who wants to play it, not eBay it, by all means it would be awesome to sell it to them even at your cost.

Remember if you sell it on eBay for $1500, you are selling to someone who is probably not as deserving of the system, and someone you probably shouldn't feel guilty selling to.

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Comfort yourself in the fact that at least you didn't make someone else stand in line for you, like what happened with the poor Chinese nationals in Japan buying for the rich Japanese businessmen looking to make a buck... :P

Honestly, good for you for figuring out a way to make money without breaking the law.  I'm sure there will be other things that get released and sell out only to go on eBay for double or triple the price.  It's really up to the buyer to decide whether they're willing to pay the premium to have it right now or to wait and own it later.  Me, I wouldn't pay double what it costs in the store, I'll just wait for the hub-bub to subside.  It's not like we're going to die if we don't have the latest greatest gaming machine in our house.  Now, if I were on a sinking cruise ship and you were selling seats in a lifeboat...

I realize there are people who will pay an exorbitant amount to have the latest greatest gear, and that there are a lot of parents who are bullied into it by their spoiled little brats demanding the PS3.  To them, I say sleep in the bed you made.  It's not that hard to say no to a child; if they throw a fit and start breaking your things, just break their things until they stop or there's nothing

But hey, if you were to sell your extra consoles to your friends for cost or a little over cost, can you imagine how grateful they'd be? :D
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Shayne

All gone.  Didn't take much effort, and I'm up a little bit.  Total cost to me was almost exactly $700 each ($699.59 or something after GST).  I ditched them for $1500, $1500 and $1400.  No hassle, all cash.  It wasn't hard to decide not to keep one, I took a trip to Future Shop checked out the games on the shelf, looked at whats upcoming in the next 6 months, considered my upcoming wedding and the expenses that still need to be paid and really I think ArsTechnica said it best For now, it's power looking for a mission statement..  My goal was double, I made a bit more.