GTA IV First Impressions

Started by Mr. Analog, April 29, 2008, 09:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

BIG

The city is HUGE. I cannot express how massive the place is and everything is so detailed.

I really don't know what to say that hasn't been said before about the game but when you are in it you forget that it's not a real place. Amazing.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I got sucked in by the hype and pickedit up as well.

The city is big that is for sure.

Game play wise i am having trouble relating to the game after playing other games.

mass effect looks beter and i like the controles more.
driving cars drove me nuts at first since the lower end ones bounce so much..

the voice acting is good but you NEED to turn on the subtitles to understand some characters.

jury is still out.. i need to get past the baby step missions and into the real ones.

Mr. Analog

I spent about an hour exploring the city and then I got into missions. I found Roman's car to handle pretty good. After a few driving missions I was pretty well on top of things. I haven't had a chance to get into shooting but I did play with the cover system a bit (hiding behind mailboxes etc).

I didn't have subtitles turned on and the dialogue seemed ok, except where Roman was talking to me in the car. I either paid attention to him or paid attention to the road.

Being able to make friends and call just about any phone number I saw and get a response on my cellphone was pretty neat.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

I was up pretty much all night long buzzing. I would have gone up and played again after midnight or so but I was afraid of waking Tonnica up, but I did some reading.

Multi-player sounds good, we can race, go do jobs together, take on missions in teams. Rockin'

I also consulted the LCTA transit map so I could figure out what train I need to get to Algonquin (turns out if I take the number 8 to Easton station and transfer to the K line I could make it all the way around the Park). It's just I'm new to the city and I couldn't figure out how to get on the Broker bridge to go visit the downtown area.

Buzz buzz buzz! Gotta get back in there!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mags

you guys experiencing any of the lockup problems ALOT of people are reporting?
"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Lazybones

None so far.

I managed to get to the first missions with shooting (also the first mission where subtitles are almost a requirment, unless you speak Rastafarian)... The cover system and aim are far better than past GTA titles.

So, when you went back to the apartment the first time, did you watch TV and watch the space ranger cartoon?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Mags on April 30, 2008, 09:37:35 AM
you guys experiencing any of the lockup problems ALOT of people are reporting?

Not yet...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on April 30, 2008, 09:46:03 AM
So, when you went back to the apartment the first time, did you watch TV and watch the space ranger cartoon?

I flicked the tv on for a little bit but I didn't watch for long. I wanna see the cartoon because apparently Wil Wheaton is one of the aliens haha!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Ok between 8ish and 11:30ish I mostly did non-mission stuff:
-Hung out with cousin Roman
-Went on two dates which included a night of bowling (you actually play) and a cabaret (mix of acts).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I was going to hit you up to try multi player, but I wanted to do some more exploring my self.

Stole the attack chopper at the airport and went sight seeing.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on May 01, 2008, 12:01:40 AM
I was going to hit you up to try multi player, but I wanted to do some more exploring my self.

Stole the attack chopper at the airport and went sight seeing.

Hah! And I thought I was bad-ass when I ran through a toll booth!

I'm gonna be offline tonight (I think) but Friday I'm gonna hit some story missions as I've gotten a bit behind (curse you work!).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

This is how I feel every time I am trying to get to a friend meeting. My car is often destroyed because the friend is on the other end of town when they call.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/5/02/

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on May 04, 2008, 02:54:54 PM
This is how I feel every time I am trying to get to a friend meeting. My car is often destroyed because the friend is on the other end of town when they call.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/5/02/

This always happens to me!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Had the game lockup for the first time list night.. I wonder if it is a memory leak because I had the game paused and left it running in the middle of a mission for several for about 2 hours before playing again and having it lock up.

Lazybones

I have completed the main story... Still have some free roaming stuff to do but I am starting to wrap up the game.
PRO:
- Great story
- Missions tied into the world
- High level of world interactivity
- lots of things to do
- Main story missions should last most people around 30hrs but can be done in less if you rush.
Cons:
- relationship feature is mostly annoying and pointless
- Traffic and Peds spawn out of no were
- Money has little value but its the main reward for missions
- Can only save BETWEEN MISSIONS AND AT SAFE HOUSE! I hate this style of saving.
- Online play is meh