Duke Nukem Forever Reveal at PAX 2010, Playable Too!

Started by Lazybones, September 03, 2010, 02:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on March 24, 2011, 08:30:04 AM
Doh, I may have preordered the game, but looks like I won't get it May 3rd after all: http://ca.kotaku.com/5785237/duke-nukem-forever-delayed

A Duke Nukem delay? That's unpossible!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

So been watching the Duke Nukem History of a Legend stuff, and the one surprising thing to me was to find out the CEO and VP of Gearbox are two key project guys from the Duke Nukem: 3D game development with 3D Realms.  Guess they split from 3D Realms to form Gearbox, and now Gearbox is the intellectual owner of Duke Nukem; interesting twist to me.

Anyway you can check them out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP5Zv5TWb_s&feature=related, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDHRJfl5ZOc&feature=player_embedded
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Melbosa

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I'll believe it when I see it on a shelf in a store :P lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

But... but... early June you can play the DEMO!

also... with POOP as a weapon! Don't forget that!

Melbosa

Gone Gold: http://tinyurl.com/3va6l78

Lol Language Filter broke the URL: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/60417/Holy-@%&#-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Is-Golden
QuoteThe road to gold was paved over the course of 15 years and its legendary path climaxes on the Xbox 360? video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation?3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC. Gamers who pre-order the title from select outlets will ensure that they are among the first to experience this legendary piece of gaming history when the demo* launches on June 3, 2011 for all platforms, exclusively for Duke Nukem First Access Club Members.
"Duke Nukem Forever is the game that was once thought to be unshippable, and yet here we are, on the precipice of history,? said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. ?Today marks an amazing day in the annals of gaming lore, the day where the legend of Duke Nukem Forever is finally complete and it takes that final step towards becoming a reality.?

Created over the span of 15 years, Duke Nukem Forever was first developed with the intense passion and commitment from an inspired group of dedicated designers, artists and programmers at 3D Realms under the direction of game industry icon, George Broussard.

?Duke Nukem Forever and its journey to store shelves is legendary,? said George Broussard, creative director at 3D Realms. ?It's an epic tale of four game development studios that banded together and did the unthinkable and shipped the unshippable. When you play this game you will be reminded of that epic journey at every turn and in every small detail of the game. The character, attitude, interactivity, gameplay and political incorrectness combine to make a Duke Nukem game a unique gaming experience. In the timeless words of Duke Nukem it's finally time to 'Come Get Some'. Come be a part of gaming history.?

In 2009, after many believed that Duke Nukem Forever would never be completed, a small team of intrepid developers, known as Triptych Studios, resurrected the dream. Through their inspiring and steadfast commitment to the game and their exemplary talent and skill, they finally assembled the pieces to create an incredible, epic and cohesive gameplay experience. Under the production of Gearbox Software, Triptych Studios, Piranha Games and many other contributors joined together in a heroic effort to complete the long awaited game as a polished, full-featured triple-A title.

"Always bet on Duke, I did," said Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software. "I bet on all of the developers who have ever been a part of this legendary project and I bet that none of us want to live in a world without the Duke. I've played the final game and it is an incredible experience - a once-in-a-lifetime opus of interactive entertainment that reminds me once again why Duke Nukem is our King. The developers of Duke Nukem Forever at 3D Realms, Triptych, Piranha and finally at Gearbox deserve our thanks and respect for never giving up and have truly shown us that they have balls of steel!"

Strictly for the biggest Duke Nukem fans, the First Access Club grants members exclusive access to the pre-release demo on June 3, 2011 so that they are amongst the first to experience gaming history in the making. There are multiple ways fans can join the exclusive First Access Club, by pre-ordering the game from select retailers or by purchasing the Borderlands Game of the Year Edition on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 system and Windows PC.

True Duke Nukem die-hards will want to get their hands on the Duke Nukem Forever Balls of Steel Edition. This package is spilling over-the-brim with legendary content that is not to be missed by those who want the ultimate experience of this historic arrival. Premium items, such as a Duke Nukem Bust and an art book that chronicles the development of Duke Nukem Forever, flank a package that is overflowing with content. Check out www.dukenukemforever.com/preorder/ to see exactly how much stuff could be crammed into one box.

Apologising to no one, Duke Nukem Forever is the high-octane video game equivalent of a Hollywood summer blockbuster. Starring the legendary lady killer and alien slayer, Duke Nukem Forever brings gamers back to a blastastic time when games were filled with head-popping, bone-rattling action, brazenly crude humor, impossibly statuesque women dying for affection, and catchy one-liners meant to make you laugh out loud.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from:  http://thechronicleherald.ca/ArtsLife/1249127.html
Duke Nukem Forever isn?t the worst shooter out there but after an interminable development cycle and the slapdash, obsolete mess that was the result, it can?t be viewed as anything but a total failure as a reboot of the franchise.

I?ve heard that there are plans for more Duke games. One can only hope they take 25 years, instead of 14, to make future games right.

Upside: Tons of Duke nostalgia, some cool, interactive mini-games. Lots to do in solo mode.

Downside: Painfully outdated material, horrendous visuals. Too much loading, stiff controls. Laughable online component.

Bottom Line: Forever is apparently not enough time to make a proper Duke Nukem game.

Melbosa

Hey don't believe everything you read, as some reviews are quite high.

Try it for yourself.  I for one am really enjoying it, but I am not comparing it to any other game for innovation or game play.  I enjoy it for what it is, a sequel to Duke Nukem.  And it is Duke Nukem in all its sequel.  At this it succeeds.

Darren Dirt

I ain't believing anything, not the negative nellies, and not the hype.

Just sharing some of the reviews, I was hoping it was all fun no fluff, sounds like a lot of the negative reviews were also in the same boat and were disappointed. Graphics not as important, of course it won't be top of the line. But level/puzzle design will impact the replayability aka FUN factor. Sounds like it didn't live up to its potential on that front.

But if it was lower than the $59.99 release price, less mighta been expected of it -- the same way Serious Sam was not taken too seriously due to its low price, hence its Simple Fun was recognized by lotsa folks, expectations re. "depth" weren't high.

Mr. Analog

That's how I look at it, if it was a $20-$40 game there'd be no question, I'd be playing it now. Hell, if it had the jokes AND a great multi-player (like Serious Sam or TF2) it would be a no brainer.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 20, 2011, 06:09:38 PM
I ain't believing anything, not the negative nellies, and not the hype.

LOL But the above is implied contradiction when you say below:

Just sharing some of the reviews, I was hoping it was all fun no fluff, sounds like a lot of the negative reviews were also in the same boat and were disappointed. Graphics not as important, of course it won't be top of the line. But level/puzzle design will impact the replayability aka FUN factor. Sounds like it didn't live up to its potential on that front.

Sounds like you are taking in some of the hype, some of the negatives. ;)

But if it was lower than the $59.99 release price, less mighta been expected of it -- the same way Serious Sam was not taken too seriously due to its low price, hence its Simple Fun was recognized by lotsa folks, expectations re. "depth" weren't high.

I agree with costs.  I think all games are over price now-a-days and would sell so much more if they sold for less.  Make more money in the end IMO, as well as all of yours.

In the end, not everyone likes every game, just as not everyone likes every movie.  I laughed and enjoyed the Love Guru (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0811138/) and is considered one of the worst movies of all time (http://www.empireonline.com/features/50-worst-movies-ever/default.asp?film=3).  I have given up on the reviewers for swaying my opinions on games.  I've been led astray too many times by hype or negatives, missed some good ones, bought some game of the years that I can't stand.

Now I just try and buy, and only really pay attention to game play footage from reviews, although I still do read them :) - so maybe I am swayed a bit as well - I cannot truly say.

Sometimes (like Duke) I buy because I think its for me.  Duke is a part of my gamer history, and from what I saw of game play footage looked like a game I would want to play.  So I bought it, and am happy with the purchase and what Duke became.  It isn't the next TF2 or Serious Sam, it isn't the next Crysis or Call of Duty, it isn't the next Halo or Resistance.  It is the next Duke, it is its own game, it just doesn't compare very well to the others; it has its own style, its own humour, its own game play.  I played the hell out of the previous Duke games, as well as most I have listed here, and I can tell you this is the next Duke, standing alone in its own way.

Could it have been better?  For sure.  It won't beat out MW3, or come close to taking down BFBC3, or even outshine TF2 in MP.  Its just not that innovative in those circles of game play.  It doesn't have that ingenuity that would make is GOTY in any category, it isn't that new or ingenious.  What it is... well its a game that took more than a decade to be completed, more than most people in computers hold a job, and even it couldn't hold a game studio.  And what does that game hold true?  It got released and it didn't loose that Duke franchise feeling or president.  It is the next Duke Nukem (I know I sound like a broken record), and really I can't compare it to anything but its predecessor.

My opinion... I know you guys will have your own.  And I know you allow me mine, so all good.  Just remember one thing.

Either hell froze over, or anything is possible.  Duke Nukem Forever was released... the one game that was never to see the light of day did!