BF3vsMW3 -- is it live, or is it Frostbite 2?

Started by Darren Dirt, August 30, 2011, 08:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Two things holding me back from Battlefield 3:

1. You can't host your own servers (you have to "rent" a server)
2. It's made by EA (aka the great satan)
3. (I lied, there're three things) NOT AVAILABLE ON STEAM (Sorry EA, I'm not fumbling around with discs or trying to find EXE cracks that don't require the frickin' ancient silver platter to play!!)

MW3 looks ok and certainly has a rewarding/fun looking single player mode but I'm willing to bet the multiplayer just won't have the same kind of open feeling as other games, and let's face it, as fun as Modern Warfare series is it's kind of like being on a rail for the most part.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 30, 2011, 05:24:54 PM
Two things holding me back from Battlefield 3:

1. You can't host your own servers (you have to "rent" a server)
2. It's made by EA (aka the great satan)
3. (I lied, there're three things) NOT AVAILABLE ON STEAM (Sorry EA, I'm not fumbling around with discs or trying to find EXE cracks that don't require the frickin' ancient silver platter to play!!)

... hence the "needs-to-steal-from-modern-warfare-3" aspect of the article ;)

Mr. Analog

There are valid points on both sides I think, if they could combine both titles into one great game it would be the best thing to come along in the FPS category in a long time.

MW risks getting too goofy for its own good (sorta like the Bond franchise) IMO
By Grabthar's Hammer

Stewie521

I've heard some good things from my BF player-friends, and they say it was a good game. I do sorta trust Dice with their games after Mirrors Edge, that was a perfectly made game! One of the reasons I am refraining from MW3 is the cheesyness of COD Black Ops. That had a bit too much wrong in it, such as hit boxes. I have seen someone shooting, not even at the guy and he still kills him! That was one of the reasons I started playing Halo (R.I.P. Bungie D:). I am looking at it for the 360, and I would like your guys's opinion; MW3 or BF3. Currently I am leaning towards BF3, and I might try out the Multiplayer Beta, that I'm sure I could find on XBox Live Market...

Mr. Analog

I'd be more interested in BF3 if EA wasn't the distributor hahaha
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

"Within 24 hours of going on sale, the game sold 6.5 million copies in the US and UK alone and grossed $400 million."

(!)

"the most successful entertainment launch of anything, ever"
http://www.gamespot.com/news/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-sets-new-launch-records-6345162

Mr. Analog

After much decision making (and finishing a couple games) I decided to get me some MW3

I can't resist the stupid plot OR the co-op spec op mission mode.

I also bought me some BATMAAAAAAAAAAAAAN so I can boogie around Gotham and beat bad guys with other bad guys
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I finished BF3 and now working on MW3.  I like the story in both, but I am really happy with the multi-story arcs in MW3.  I don't think I will play MP on MW3 anytime soon though, as BF3 is so much better in this area.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I'll probably look at BF later for PC. I think it'd be a lot more fun for Fraga but I have no idea if it will run on my current rig heh
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

So I made it past the halfway mark through campaign mode last night (!?).

I have to say I wasn't expecting much but as I was playing through the first act I had a smile on my face and by the end of it actually laughed because it was fun.

The game isn't without it's annoyances but it's sort of like a blockbuster movie, full of stupid @%&# but it's REALLY FUN stupid @%&#.

At one point I was playing as support fire in a Herc and as I would knock out major obstacles the game would zoom into the ground where I'd continue the fighting on foot, I thought it was reasonably clever because it showed the battlefield from both the tactical and on the ground angle, if there was an APC or a helicopter that I missed it would make things more difficult on the ground.

So yeah, anyway, throw realism out the window, this is just some fun crazy stuff.

Hopefully enough people I know with the XBox version will want to try out the Spec Ops co-op stuff...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Mr. Analog

Ah, I see. Well BF3 I will certainly get for PC (eventually). MW3 I just wanted to play casually on the XBox :)
By Grabthar's Hammer