Main Menu

Tom's Sleep

Started by Tom, March 22, 2013, 09:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Like I say try to avoid anything with a back light, it basically tells your brain through your eyes that it's actually day and the body should stay awake. If reading will keep you up switch to music, get the ol' earbuds out and put on some music you like (something relaxing obviously) then when you start to feel tired go to bed.

Yeah, the prescription I'm on is a low dosage and on a "as needed" basis, again this is why I suggest talking to your GP about sleep issues, they can point you at the right people.

One of the interesting side effects of getting treatment that I found was my anxiety levels dropped A LOT. Which meant I slept better anyway, which meant I had less stress... it's a nice loop to be caught in :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on March 22, 2013, 12:32:17 PM
No TV or electronic device screens in the hour before bed
No caffeine in the after noon or after 3pm for sure.
Make sure you are hydrated
Darken your room and also try to cover or remove ANY distracting light sources
- don't have the alarm clock face you
- cover any charging LEDs on devices in the room
- cover your windows

CPAP did not work for me, I am on a waiting list to get at least two surgeries to correct my nasal passage, upper pallet and possibly remove my tonsels.. I may still  need a CPAP machine but it may not help till my airway is opened up.

Did two runs of CPAP trials and O2 monitoring, came back boarder line. Went in for a sleep study (they wire you up and record you sleeping) where it was confirmed my breathing stopped several times during the night.
Yeah, I try to follow most of those rules. But I haven't had a curtian on my bedroom window here... in ever. Oh and the screens thing. That's something I couldn't do any time soon. Especially since I'm likely to read on a screen (my tablet) if I did start reading more again. I'm also rather addicted. Stupid addictive personality.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 22, 2013, 12:32:35 PM
Like I say try to avoid anything with a back light, it basically tells your brain through your eyes that it's actually day and the body should stay awake. If reading will keep you up switch to music, get the ol' earbuds out and put on some music you like (something relaxing obviously) then when you start to feel tired go to bed.

Yeah, the prescription I'm on is a low dosage and on a "as needed" basis, again this is why I suggest talking to your GP about sleep issues, they can point you at the right people.

One of the interesting side effects of getting treatment that I found was my anxiety levels dropped A LOT. Which meant I slept better anyway, which meant I had less stress... it's a nice loop to be caught in :)
Yeah, that'd be nice.

Also earlier I meant to say "sleeping on my side" has issues. Whups. The forum's "insert quote" feature seems to be acting up.. been trying to write a reply to several messages and before I can get it to work more people have posted ::)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Hah, yeah, I hear ya, I just spent like 10 minutes trying to upload a 200 k file.

But yes, getting away from screens will do a WORLD of good. Get some good music and just space out for 20 minutes (may I suggest Solar Fields)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

yeah I just can't sit around and listen to music.

Thorin

Funny thing is I can take in sugar and caffeine right before I go to bed and still fall asleep normally.  Light doesn't really bother me, either.  It's all just my thoughts - I have to stop thinking about the day or I'll be up all night.  Focusing on imagining a blank piece of paper has worked for me in the past, although if I've played D&D that day the blank piece of paper starts filling up with character stats :P  It's weird laying in bed in 2013 trying to imagine a blank piece of paper and then suddenly having THAC0 and a negative AC appear...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on March 22, 2013, 12:59:49 PM
Funny thing is I can take in sugar and caffeine right before I go to bed and still fall asleep normally.  Light doesn't really bother me, either.  It's all just my thoughts - I have to stop thinking about the day or I'll be up all night.  Focusing on imagining a blank piece of paper has worked for me in the past, although if I've played D&D that day the blank piece of paper starts filling up with character stats :P  It's weird laying in bed in 2013 trying to imagine a blank piece of paper and then suddenly having THAC0 and a negative AC appear...

And then all of a sudden... "Diggy a Hole Diggy A Hole....."

Mr. Analog

Depending on your physiology caffeine sometimes doesn't become apparent until an hour after you've consumed it (again, absorption rates and how the caffeine was ingested == YMMV)

There's a mental aspect to it as well I think, there have been times where I've had a coffee after 9 PM and had no issues, then again, I've had other times where I've had a coffee after 4 PM and been bouncing off the walls all night.

I feel bad that you can't just sit back and enjoy music, there are some nights where that really saves me, I can just put on some tunes and turn my brain off...

Quote from: Lazybones on March 22, 2013, 01:06:17 PMAnd then all of a sudden... "Diggy a Hole Diggy A Hole....."

Oh god, that's me, mentally crafting things. It was really bad when I was trying out Forestry crap for the first time.

That's when I know I need to get up and grab a book or something :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 22, 2013, 01:08:34 PM
I feel bad that you can't just sit back and enjoy music, there are some nights where that really saves me, I can just put on some tunes and turn my brain off...
Sure I can enjoy some music, but just sitting there every night listening to music, would be incredibly boring.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on March 22, 2013, 01:15:09 PMSure I can enjoy some music, but just sitting there every night listening to music, would be incredibly boring.

I can't quite get my head around that, sorry :shrug:

I have a tendency to listen to a lot of variety though I guess it might depend on what you are listening to.

When I want to relax I listen to jazz or classical or prog or pretty much anything with an interesting soundscape. Sometimes just sitting back with a glass of scotch and putting on some Frank is enough to get in the relax zone for me... other times it's getting into a goofy 2-disc Martin Denny adventure and just imagining hilarious stuff...

Maybe I'M the weird one here lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I can listen to just about anything, but get tired of things quickly because I overdo them ;) I often just don't feel like listening to a lot of stuff just because. While I have a rather large collection of stuff, It'd take too long to find something I do want to listen to.

Melbosa

Wow we are all really screwed up ... lol
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Sometimes I just hit shuffle and let Eris choose what I listen to (with obvious consequences like going from Tchaikovsky to Trail of Dead in one step)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 22, 2013, 01:40:25 PM
Sometimes I just hit shuffle and let Eris choose what I listen to (with obvious consequences like going from Tchaikovsky to Trail of Dead in one step)
I'd end up doing a lot of skipping.

I really have to clear out my collection of stuff I'll never feel like listening to.

*cough*

81G     ./Anime
8.2G    ./games
18G     ./Japanese
64G     ./misc
771M    ./Soundtrack
1.6G    ./podcasts
47G     ./Music from James
761M    ./Christmas
38M     ./random
220G    .
220G    total

There's a lot in misc and likely "music from james" that I'll never listen to.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 22, 2013, 01:40:25 PM

???

Mr. Analog

NEVER DELETE MUSIC ('cause there will be that ONE day where you want to listen to something and it's just GONE lol)

eris goddess of chaos
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

A lot of the stuff in misc is from a couple large "backups" that I grabbed. Many GB each. I have never felt like organizing it yet, and a lot of the time I decide to do a random shuffle, I end up skipping through a lot of it.

I just need to go through it and move/delete the ones I know I'll never like.