Open Source Free Help Desk Package

Started by Melbosa, August 23, 2013, 05:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

I've used Mantis on another job.  While it does the work, again client's whom aren't IT hate it... I'll keep looking into the skinning options for the three though - Bugzilla, Trac, and Mantis.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on August 26, 2013, 10:59:37 AM
Does this look like something that would work for you?

http://www.mantisbt.org/

at first glance the logo made me think of a certain Adult Swim character (I wonder if that was intentional?)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 26, 2013, 11:07:10 AM
Quote from: Thorin on August 26, 2013, 10:59:37 AM
Does this look like something that would work for you?

http://www.mantisbt.org/

at first glance the logo made me think of a certain Adult Swim character (I wonder if that was intentional?)

ZORAK YOU ARE SO NAVE

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

So I ended up getting me a Digital Ocean VPS and a HelpDesk Extension for Joomla which works very well and is active in support + development.  I have also now setup my own teampass db as my keypass install was getting very slow.

And now the question... I've got this LAMP install with SSL just sitting there doing my password db and a small help desk app... should we move the forums there as well?

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on August 30, 2013, 05:39:33 PM
So I ended up getting me a Digital Ocean VPS and a HelpDesk Extension for Joomla which works very well and is active in support + development.  I have also now setup my own teampass db as my keypass install was getting very slow.

And now the question... I've got this LAMP install with SSL just sitting there doing my password db and a small help desk app... should we move the forums there as well?
I would not be against such a thing. but you're the sysadmin, so its really up to you.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

If it gets your proper FTP and DB access again I would be more than happy to help keep things patched up for you.

I would also really like to add SSL to the forum.

Can't promise full time support but I already keep the SMF patches going. So proper FTP and WWW customization access would be nice.

Lazybones

Although for the web server I am all about playing with NGINX these days, or at least using it as a caching reverse proxy.

Tom

nginx + php-fpm is probably lower resource usage than apache+mod_php anyhow.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on August 30, 2013, 06:59:03 PM
nginx + php-fpm is probably lower resource usage than apache+mod_php anyhow.

That is one of its famed benefits. I have it running at home purely as a reverse proxy. I like the fact you can do in service config changes and upgrades.

Melbosa

The Digital Ocean setup I have is already Apache+PHP though... is that an issue?

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on August 31, 2013, 03:37:08 PM
The Digital Ocean setup I have is already Apache+PHP though... is that an issue?

Probably would just leave it apache.

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on August 31, 2013, 03:37:08 PM
Probably not no. I just wouldn't stick a full stack on a 512MB instance ;) especially if you expect to run anything else on that box.

should be ok for a not too busy site though.

Melbosa

Interesting... little late as I have almost 30 tickets running already in the one I setup, but interesting none the less.