Xbox 360 and Windows Media Server

Started by Bixby, January 25, 2007, 10:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixby

There seems to be a healthy amount of posters here who might be able to assist on this so here goes:

Background Information:
I have an external HD attached to my main Computer (ALPHA) that houses all of my music.
I have an external HD attached to my Media Center PC (GAMMA) that is the backup for my main music and is used as the Music Directory for Media PC.
I Have an XBox360 that connects to (GAMMA) USing teh prescribed Media Connector.
There is a weekly routine I use to update the backup HD from my main music HD.

Problem:
The XBox seems to retain a cached version of the Music files, playlists, and file locations and does not automatically update. I am not sure where to find/remove this cache information and more importantly get the XBox to reflect my media in a more "realtime manner". I am constantly adding, modifying, deleting playlists and the XBox is oblivious of these updates.

Any help on this is most appreciated and grants the assister a couple of pints of the good stuff from the assistee next time I am in Edmonton. :)

Shayne

I'm not so sure its the 360, but maybe the Media Connector.  If I recall the library needs to be rebuilt when wholesale changes are made.

Lazybones

Don't have a 360 yet my self, but I know many of those in the forum that do.. This may not help but I know a few of them are using http://tversity.com/home/ to stream content.. If it can replace the functions that you are using the Media Center PC software for, it might be what you are looking for. It also doesn't hurt that it can stream formants not supported by the MS software.

Bixby

Thanks for the lightning fast responses gang.

TVersity huh. I may look into that. Any gotchas with TVersity that I need to be aware of?

Shayne

As a user of tversity its HORRIBLE for streaming anything that are not divx/xvid video files, seeing as you have Media Center edition, use that, its far superior (I use both working together)

Shayne

Oh and to elaborate, the only reason why its not HORRIBLE for streaming divx is because well, its the only thing that can :P

Adams

If you do not have an uber great system... the tversity isn't the way to go. I watched a 1 hour show on my xbox 360 and it was eating both processors 98%.

I think you just have to tell your media center to rebuild the database every hour or 2 hours.

Speaking of which, how did you find the Media Center systems (Bixby / Shayne)
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."

Shayne

Media Center is far better as you can use the media center UI which includes folder support, id tag reading etc, things that TVersity lacks as it basically treats all the content set to stream through it as a giant removable drive with no organization.

Media Center is the way to go, and if you own a 360, look at picking up Vista Premium in a week as it will unlock that functionality to basically everyone.  (still need tversity for the whole divx thing (for now?))

Bixby

Hmmmm.

It has playlists and stuff cached from months ago. Maybe something wrong with my Media Center Install / Configuration. I think I will do a clean install of the OS and start from scratch. Anyone who of a good configuration document for setting this up so I do not trip over the gotchas.