Dynamic Mapper

Started by Thorin, February 19, 2013, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I'm sure we all know by now, but Tom has both the Minecraft Overviewer (mc.tomasu.org, uses Google Maps to give a nice orthogonal overhead view) and the Dynamic Mapper (tomasu.org:8123, gives a flat or angled overhead view and shows current time and players on the server).

For some strange reason, Dynamic Mapper has lots of holes in its map, though, in places where I've definitely travelled more than once.  Any idea why, Tom?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

It doesn't keep the entire map in memory as far as I can tell. I think if minecraft unloads those chunks, dynamap loses them too. Or at least thats my hunch.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I think what happens is you have to spend a certain amount of time both inhabiting a given chunk and viewing it in the viewer.

I noticed this that until I went and messed around with my ship (which I totally ship) there were big black gaps in the viewer until I hung around that area for a while.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

It might be that it needs to be in rendering mode at the time you're in that chunk.  I did a little reading...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Ahh that would make sense, as I've often ran past areas frequently and it never rendered that part but if I stayed still long enough it did? (at least that's what it seemed like)

At one point I plugged in my second monitor to make symmetrical circular forms using the overhead view (rather than doing it the cheaty pete way and flying up and down, not like nerdpole-ing with dirt is all that time consuming anyway :-/ )

That would be a cool potion: flight.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I've issued the /dynmap fullrender command, and now it's running through rendering of chunks.  Immediately the black spots started filling in, at least on the flat overhead view.  Looks like it'll take quite a while.  The Dynamic Mapper map looks much nicer now, though.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Wow! That's doing the job... also

Iiiiiiiiiii seeeeeeeee youuuuuuuuu
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on February 19, 2013, 06:09:51 PM
I've issued the /dynmap fullrender command, and now it's running through rendering of chunks.  Immediately the black spots started filling in, at least on the flat overhead view.  Looks like it'll take quite a while.  The Dynamic Mapper map looks much nicer now, though.
Heh, note that the mc server is now using the equivalent of 100% of one of the cores on the server ;) If it gets laggy, it ain't my fault.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 19, 2013, 06:14:22 PM
Wow! That's doing the job... also

Iiiiiiiiiii seeeeeeeee youuuuuuuuu

Yeah, looks much better now.  And I just noticed, I need new armour.

Quote from: Tom on February 19, 2013, 06:30:08 PM
Quote from: Thorin on February 19, 2013, 06:09:51 PM

Heh, note that the mc server is now using the equivalent of 100% of one of the cores on the server ;) If it gets laggy, it ain't my fault.

It's your fault for giving me any kind of admin-like powers :P

I wonder how long it will take to finish.

Hey, the Cave View looks really cool with all the buildings!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

I ran fullrender for the nether and end maps as well, they took way less time.  The map is now actually quite useful.  I ended up doing a nether run and collecting over three stacks of glowstone and almost three stacks of soul sand.  Just had to go east to find it :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful