Automatic Crafting Table and BuildCraft Pipes (or Pneumatic Tubes)

Started by Mr. Analog, January 14, 2013, 09:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So I built a solar panel factory (finally), I kind of built it twice though the first attempt with buildcraft was a bit pricey as if the Automatic Crafting Table was full of material it would just kick out the items onto the floor (which given the components involved could be a very pricey despawn!)

SOOOO on Sunday I redid everything and went with RedPower2 Pneumatic tubes and sorting machines BUT I found that when an item slot becomes full (i.e. a full stack of whatever) the pneumatic tubes just shove items into any old slot. Now I don't lose any material but my automatic crafting tables get jammed with junk from time to time.

As well with both pipe material doesn't seem to get distributed evenly around the table, like I'll have spaces meant for six copper cables but there's a full stack on the first one and no more in the others so the table stops (needing resources).

Very annoying that my choices are basically "lose valuable items on the floor" or "jam one or more crafting tables"

Maybe the logistics pipe stuff will help this out but since I've built the factory TWICE now I'm less inclined.

Before anyone mentions it, I haven't played with hoppers as I don't know if they are compatible with automatic crafting tables OR if I can hook multiple BC pipes up to them. I don't want to redo everything again with leaky BC pipes... do hoppers work with pneumatic tubes?

On the plus side I was able to make more than a stack of solar panels. I hand crafted a number of arrays for my own use and put the rest in the trade-o-mat :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I setup automatic macerating and furnace baking last night with IC2 pipes and hoppers.. No idea if they work with tubes but two seconds in a creative test world should tell you that with a checst and a machine..

The Hoppers act as buffers, they must be installed on the TOP of a machine but will accept input from pipes on their sides... They have 4 inventory slots, that will always empty as many items as the attached machine will fit... Haven't attempted a crafting table yet, but it is next on my list..

With a macerator or a furnace you can only accept 1 item type at a time, so if you put a hopper on what happen is that it will feed that one item until it runs out then feed other items... If more of that one item appears it will keep feeding that item in because the machine will accept more of the same stack

Logistic pipes would solve your problem, as they REQUEST times instead of just pushing them.. You could set a requester to keep 4 iron bars and 2 red stone in a machine at all times... it would then keep requesting those ONLY when needed...

Logistic pipes are basically made for auto crafting

Mr. Analog

I can use the old standby of a chest with a redstone engine if a hopper won't work with a pneumatic tube, that way any type of pipe can connect to it, it's just so bullky though.

I just wanted to post about it because after a lot of Googling I couldn't find anyone else with these problems described so either it's so prevalent everyone just "knows" about it or no one has really discussed it.

If BuildCraft pipes just sent items back to their chests rather than spitting them out on the floor do despawn this wouldn't have been a problem at all
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Red power has a machine that will let you specify how much of an item to keep stocked in an adjacent machine. I think its called the regulator. It may be of some use here. I think it lets you specify 9 different items. It also does some buffering.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

If it doesn't need blutricity then it would be ok but likely it DOES which means a lot of messy rewiring.

I'll see if a hopper will work, if it functions like a chest to RedPower then it may be the answer I'm looking for.

I'll test it in creative mode after work

Feed the Beast / Tekkit aka SECOND EFFING JOB
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Make sure there's a skylight (glass works) above the machine, and a solar panel right on top of the machine will power it.

Oh, I borrowed your MFSU last night, accidentally removed some UU from the massfab, I stuck it in a nearby chest.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 14, 2013, 11:29:17 AM

lol

Lotsa work to get it going correctly, hey?  One day you'll have this giant factory that automatically creates all kinds of different devices, though.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 14, 2013, 11:38:23 AM

there is likely an overflow of scrap now
I only used it to charge a lapatron crystal, so I didn't remove it. It just slowed down your process for a few minutes. It /should/ be fine? It was fine when I left with my crystal.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on January 14, 2013, 11:55:11 AM

lol

Lotsa work to get it going correctly, hey?  One day you'll have this giant factory that automatically creates all kinds of different devices, though.

Yeah, I think I'll wait until those logic pipes come out hah

Quote from: Tom on January 14, 2013, 11:55:43 AM

I only used it to charge a lapatron crystal, so I didn't remove it. It just slowed down your process for a few minutes. It /should/ be fine? It was fine when I left with my crystal.

Ahhhhh okay, I thought by "borrow" you meant "took away" LOL

:)

OOH, I'm so gonna build a public charging station!!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 14, 2013, 12:52:47 PM
Quote from: Thorin on January 14, 2013, 11:55:11 AM

lol

Yeah, I think I'll wait until those logic pipes come out hah

Quote from: Tom on January 14, 2013, 11:55:43 AM

Ahhhhh okay, I thought by "borrow" you meant "took away" LOL

:)

OOH, I'm so gonna build a public charging station!!
The funny thing? The thing I wanted the lap crystal for wont take it. woo. least I don't think so...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on January 14, 2013, 03:09:59 PMThe funny thing? The thing I wanted the lap crystal for wont take it. woo. least I don't think so...
Oh? I'm curious now, what were you trying to power with it?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 14, 2013, 03:14:52 PM
Quote from: Tom on January 14, 2013, 03:09:59 PMThe funny thing? The thing I wanted the lap crystal for wont take it. woo. least I don't think so...
Oh? I'm curious now, what were you trying to power with it?
A turtle with the misc peripherals charge station. You can power turtles with IC2 power :o It'll take batteries, energy crystals, or it'll charge while its next to the charge station, which itself can be hooked up to any IC2 power source. I think there's also a solar turtle upgrade? I'll be looking into that later. Also be looking into a smarter excavate program, its kinda stupid how it only refuels one item at a time.

Mr. Analog

Hoppers solved all my problems!

With enough resources I can make about half a stack of solar panels in just a few minutes.

I'M LIVIN THE DREAAAAAAAAAM
By Grabthar's Hammer