Main Menu

1.6 on Usamot

Started by Thorin, August 30, 2013, 08:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 09, 2013, 03:02:10 PM
Conversely we can just add a teleport block to some far flung location (not unlike a few weekends ago).
That is pretty much how we get out there. But if the map spawn changes as well, then new people, and old people who lose their home spawn will get to the new area, with all the fun new stuff, and can take the teleportals back if they so desire.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

:-/

I don't want to die and respawn several kilometers away from all the cool stuff we've built
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on September 09, 2013, 05:21:09 AM
Quote from: Snowie0wl on September 09, 2013, 02:32:23 AM
Oh, awesome! I got a little discouraged from playing Minecraft in Usamot because it hurt to abandon horses (and donkeys). Will they actually spawn in Usamot? Also I haven't yet found a way to make a chessboard to my satisfaction so I'm going to put that on hold. I'm thinking of a race course now.
You can get horses, but they are rare on existing plains. You will probably have the best luck finding new areas, or at least the area that Thorin found.

Would it be possible for me to bring a friend in? If so, his name is Aaran007.
If you can guarantee he wont grief, sure.

Griefing may result in an immediate ban.

I have several horses in the yard at Frontier Hotel.  Feel free to mate a couple to make a foal, then take one.  Or mate two couples to make two foals, then take two horses.

If you want to find your own horses, use the Overviewer to figure out what areas haven't been explored yet and find some plains in one of these areas.  That's what I had to do - wander about until I found newly-generated plains.  My horses haven't despawned yet, so I don't think they will.  More likely, my youngest son will have taken them out for a ride and forgotten to return them :P

A chessboard and a race course, you say?  I look forward to seeing you online building those!

Tom, did you end up adding Aaran007 to the whitelist?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 09, 2013, 03:07:57 PM
:-/

I don't want to die and respawn several kilometers away from all the cool stuff we've built
But then you'll have more cool stuff, and may not want to spawn back in the old section...

But its not an important argument, as we have command blocks. each spawn gets a portal station.

But this is where separate maps would be better. you die without a bed/home, and it'll take you back to that maps's spawn...

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on September 09, 2013, 03:15:11 PM
Tom, did you end up adding Aaran007 to the whitelist?
Not yet. I was waiting to hear back from SnowieOwl.

Thorin

Yeah, the Tele-Portals do make it a lot easier to get around the map for all players, whether Op or not.  Anyway, I can see us exploring until we find a new continent that's not yet mapped and then building a whole new civilization there...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Here is where I found the horses: http://mc.tomasu.org/#/2520/64/-1540/max/0/0

I can't believe how much of the map I filled in trying to find my way back!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Snowie0wl

Quote from: Tom

That's fine. He wouldn't. His username may sound a little young but he's not a little griefer kid. I know him mostly from playing GoldenEye: Source and, win or loose, he's a good sport.

Tom

Quote from: Snowie0wl on September 10, 2013, 05:51:21 PM
Quote from: Tom

That's fine. He wouldn't. His username may sound a little young but he's not a little griefer kid. I know him mostly from playing GoldenEye: Source and, win or loose, he's a good sport.
So long as someone vouches for him, s'ok
:)

added to the whitelist :)

Tom

We're going to have to update to 1.6.3 asap, when ever it get a bukkit update.  They've fixed structure spawning, so our original generated witchhuts and nether fortresses will spawn special mobs again.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on September 13, 2013, 02:46:53 PM
We're going to have to update to 1.6.3 asap, when ever it get a bukkit update.  They've fixed structure spawning, so our original generated witchhuts and nether fortresses will spawn special mobs again.

Huzzah!

I don't think I've ever actually seen a Wither Skeleton on our server ever!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

And we must upgrade to 1.6.3 before upgrading to 1.7 in the future, otherwise the nether fortresses and witch huts and stuff will just disappear:

Quote from: https://mojang.com/2013/09/minecraft-snapshot-13w37a/
There is a known issue with world structures such as Nether Fortresses not transitioning to 1.7 from 1.6, but loading these areas in the new pre-release 1.6.3 and then going to snapshot 13w37b (or later) should fix this.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Physically the blocks are there, if they are already generated (if they aren't, then the generation will differ from the way it did before). but the game wont recognize the area as a witchhut or nether fortress.

It turns out the game uses the seed to tell it where spawning locations for special entities like witches and wither skeletons. But when the nether got chests, the spawning broke, and when the pre1.7 terrain gen stuff came out, it broke witches.

kdevil

I hope the generation doesn't change, because I just found an awesome nether fortress at -120, -400.  Wither skeletons by the truckload!

Tom

Quote from: kdevil on September 23, 2013, 07:58:09 PM
I hope the generation doesn't change, because I just found an awesome nether fortress at -120, -400.  Wither skeletons by the truckload!
It.. Depends. I don't /think/ it will break. the new feature in 1.6.3+ makes it so the seed is stored per chunk I think, so existing chunks remember their original seed/generation info. The fact that it works now, means it should keep working.

If it doesn't work now, then theres a chance it won't work in the new versions? I'm not 100% sure. I'm hoping they are able to figure out which old fortresses are broken now and fix them... but I imagine that would be tricky.

The big problem is we'll need to go and find ALL of the areas that generate special mobs and load them with 1.6.3. Or they /will/ break with 1.7+.