Xbox 360, PlayStation3, PC Whats the difference?

Started by TheDruid, November 09, 2006, 12:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDruid

Great read on wired talking about epics engine used in Gears of War

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72084-0.html?tw=wn_index_12

Quote"Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 fall into the same broad category," he says. "They have multicore, high-end CPUs and Direct X9-type graphics functionality. Compared to previous console generations, there's less difference between Xbox 360, PS3 and PC than there has been at any point in the previous console generations."

This brings up a good point, if all three consoles are capable of simular graphics, and you got more game developers building cross platform games releasing at the same time on all consoles, whats left when separating when making that *big* decision?

Lots of other features i guess:

- Online multiplayer support
- Home entertainment intergration (adds Blue-Ray, hooks into your windows PC... or is your windows PC :P )
- Propriatery games
- Price points
- Gadgets and gimmics (wireless controller)

Lots to consider, but really is it worth bashing one system over annother?
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Thorin

In your post, you reference Xbox360, PS3, and PC.  Then you say "all three consoles".  I assume Nintendo Wii is not one of the three consoles you were referring to?

Cuz Wii really doesn't fit with Xbox360 and PS3...

As for what's left when making the big decision, I've noticed that quite a few people who talk about having an Xbox360 or a PS3 already have a decent gaming rig (even outside the RW forums).  Perhaps the decision being made is to buy all of them?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

TheDruid

I left Wii out because it cannot compete from a graphics next-gen HD point of view, where i opened with the article to Epics new graphics engine that is being deployed to the 3 consoles i mentioned.

Nintendo decided that they did not want to compete on this front. Thats fine, they chose to take a more "Gimmicky" approach. However unfortunatly when it comes to the high profile blow you away graphics and AI which is still some of the most major drivers in videogames these days, the Wii will be left behind.

They make up for it with innovation, dont get me rong. But you will find in the next generation that there will be a lot of high profile "must have" games comming out wich will be released on the 3 consoles i mentioned, and no Wii release in sitght because it dont have the horse power.

When developers create games they want to reach the largest user base possible and with Xbox, PlaysStation, and PC all simular in processing ability, its realativly low cost for them to do a multi platform release to these consoles. However like i said, Nintendo's style has always been in house, its the path they chose, and for that i didnt think they fit into my next generation of gamming discussion, with graphics as a kick off focus.
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Shayne

Curtis nailed it.

Consider opening up a gaming magazine, or maybe newspaper or heck an online publication.  It shows amazing in game screenshots of "Resistance" and "Gears of War" and "Zelda", without a doubt that is very bad press for the Wii.

A month or so ago Cliffy over at Epic said they will not be developing an Engine for the Wii, Epic is about being a technology leader, the Wii is not that.  However he did say that Epic could be interested in having a few interns work on a DS game :)

Also "Games For Windows" is actually being pushed as a gaming platform now by Microsoft.   

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on November 09, 2006, 04:13:01 PM
Also "Games For Windows" is actually being pushed as a gaming platform now by Microsoft.   

In fact they are working on making the dev APIs for windows and 360 even closer. VISTA will include the LIVE dashboard features, where you can call it up in the middle of a game or right on your desktop.

Shayne

Shadowrun is to be the first game that has Windows PC going against Xbox 360 in the same games.