Main Menu

Xbox 360 v2

Started by Lazybones, January 05, 2007, 08:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/05/the-second-xbox-360-revealed-codename-zephyr/

Looks like a larger harddrive and HDMI video out will be added as well as a cooler running processor.

Melbosa

Kewl, anyone want a used XBox 360? :P
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Na, I have a reason to hold out before getting one now... Have to find a way to use up those two HDMI ports when I get my TV back :(

TheDruid

Is the output digital from the xbox? or is it converted from analog?

I could probably sell mine to my brother, hmm but how do i transfer over my hard drive content?
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Melbosa

Quote from: TheDruid on January 05, 2007, 09:38:30 AM
Is the output digital from the xbox? or is it converted from analog?

I could probably sell mine to my brother, hmm but how do i transfer over my hard drive content?

Memory cards from what I understand.  At least to get your unlocked versions of games (saved games I believe contain the unlock codes).  As for downloaded skins and such, might be remembered by your XBox live account (I would hope).
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Shayne

I'm going to say shenanigans on this.

Shayne

Okay, maybe not.  I could see the HDMI enabled version coming out after all.  Bundled with a bigger drive? probably not.  The reason for my change of heart...

http://gear.ign.com/articles/735/735860p1.html

QuoteIGN: Can the X360 send out a digital signal now, or ever?

Microsoft Xbox 360 currently doesn't include a digital out connection for video. Our platform is flexible enough to allow support of a digital connection in the future should we choose to do so. When the Xbox 360 was being developed HDMI was nascent and with our current connections we support what the overwhelming majority of consumers have available to them. It's important to note that the market penetration of 1080p displays is in the single digits. Regardless, for those early adopters who have displays and projectors that support 1080p over VGA and component we have a solution and it is a free upgrade for them. We are watching the market closely and will continue to evaluate our solution in the face of consumer demand, but have no announcements regarding additional cables or connections.

So there you have it.  Between the time this version releases they will probably sell very few as the information of this new console is all over the place.  Why buy now?  Also for all those who got a console within the first year are basically screwed for being an early adopter.  Perhaps a trade in or rebate program will be available?

This doesn't matter to me as much as it does for Druid and Lazy.  My TV can't do 1080p and my component connection is better on my TV then the HDMI connection in terms of picture quality.  However if it actually comes with the bigger drive and the price remains the same, then that hurts.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on January 05, 2007, 10:01:30 AM
I'm going to say shenanigans on this.

Wasn't this part of Microsoft's release strategy for 2007? I seem to recall reading something similar earlier... I wish I could find it...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Ive been reading comments in places where this is posted and people claim that Microsoft was going to release 3 version of the 360 initially when it was first announced.  A Core, Premium and HDDVD version.  So maybe this is it?

Internal HD DVD, HDMI, bigger drive?  If thats what this is then either the Premium and Core price drop and this one takes over, or they have a new sku at a higher price point maybe in the PS3 area?  I couldn't see that though as the price point is one of the biggest advantages Microsoft has over Sony, to release a "comparable" system thats a year older at the same price point is basically and admission of screwing up and fixing it.

CES will be interesting if this comes into the Microsoft Keynote.

Shayne

Thinking about this, releasing another sku is the best way they could go about changing the console without alienating the early adopters.  Price drops happen, they have in every console generation, so its not that hard to believe that prices for the 360 will drop to squeeze in this new version.  All speculation.  Remember this HDMI 360 appears a while back http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEVkFZZpFkDjNuJhIR.php

Lazybones

New SKUs or redesigns of consoles are not new..

There where two SNES and around 4 Genesis versions.. Not that I would call those a success.

there was the PSX and PSOne, there where also Two distinct PS2 versions. In the case of the PS1 and PS2 they REMOVED  features.

Sounds like a good move by MS, but I don't think it will have a built in HD-DVD drive. It is an area where they have repeatedly said NO, not no comment as they normally do about things they might do.

Shayne

This isnt the removal of features or making the console smaller, this is actually adding to it.   This is the Nintendo way of doing things.  We shall see soon enough I guess.

Shayne

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12523/CES-2007-Xbox-360-Announcements-Leaked/

360 to be a set-top box and possibly DVR?  Unreal, talk about king of the next gen consoles.  Also Microsoft to announce 10.4M consoles sold.  Booya.

Lazybones

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/06/xbox-360-getting-iptv/

Hmm, that would make the 360 a one stop HD content source.... Gaming, Movies, and Live TV?